Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 05:56 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
With a few exceptions music really went to crap after the early 80s....
That's just the free enterprise system at work, going to it's logical extremes. It's all about the bucks.

It's not just music that went to hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 05:58 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Us boomers do owe you an apology for that. I'm sorry. With a few exceptions music really went to crap after the early 80s....
honestly, I though hiphop went to trash because of mumble rap.

But then I just listened to a few new artists and it gave me hope.

But then again I am picky because I really liked old school hiphop and even criticized artists from my generation.

One thing I gotta give to the boomers is punk Rock. That still bangs, decades later.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:17 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
Yes, and it will only get worse as dual parent household rates have been plummeting.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:52 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

But then again I am picky because I really liked old school hiphop and even criticized artists from my generation.

One thing I gotta give to the boomers is punk Rock. That still bangs, decades later.
See? There's always some common ground we can meet and agree on!!!

Old 10-11-2020, 07:16 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:

Not a punk rock fan, more "classic" and prog rock. Big Rush and Pink Floyd fan.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Not a punk rock fan, more "classic" and prog rock. Big Rush and Pink Floyd fan.
Heard some Pink Floyed. They're pretty good.

Beatles are also on my list of old favorites before my time.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
See? There's always some common ground we can meet and agree on!!!
There's a lot of cool Boomers that I look up to. They influenced my taste in music outside of what I normally listen to.

Especially my uncle. He introduced me to the Beatles, The Doors, etc.

Funn thing is despite my username, I never got much into Spanish music. Aside from some Reggaeton but that's what was popular when I was way younger.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
There's a lot of cool Boomers that I look up to. They influenced my taste in music outside of what I normally listen to.

Especially my uncle. He introduced me to the Beatles, The Doors, etc.

Funn thing is despite my username, I never got much into Spanish music. Aside from some Reggaeton but that's what was popular when I was way younger.
Good to hear.

I love music of all kinds except for country. I even listen to Spanish music, gospel music, opera - everything. Music is the universal language. I can't get enough of it - and I still have a lot of vinyl records. At least what I have left after my two vultures went through them. They're Millennials who also like some of the stuff I like.

Music is the opposite of politics. One brings people together and the other tears them apart.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:39 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Its not parents except in the context of them being products of the culture as well.

It's media and hollywood cultural dication and programming.

Starting a few generations ago and building from there. The WWII generation wasn't as Great as claimed. They allowed their children to become the cultural car wrecks that they became. We've been fighting to return to level ground ever since.

One can view that fight, alone, in the decades of horrific, psychotic casual fashion that followed. The wild fashion shift in the decades since is all basically an echo of the 1960's cultural damage, and it has slowly returned to a truly conservative style over each decade. But the return has been slow. Its a reflection of the psychological recovery being slow. That's how bad the 1960's social damage was.

I'm not stating that fashion is a major issue other than as a cultural clue, but it does tend to reflect culture.

That being said, there has been a long-time widespread promotion of dysfunctional culture like alcoholism. That isn't unique to the 1960's and after. The party drug promotion seems to have been mainstreamed since then, though.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:56 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,102 times
Are today's "progressives/leftists" the result of lack of parenting?

My parents are staunch republicans and trump supporters. I am the opposite. I was raised to believe a lot of things that simply aren't true and when I was a young adult I began to question the way I was brought up. Generalizations and anecdotes don't really mean much at the end of the day. The very idea that there is only one way to think and that any alternative to that is because of "bad parenting" would be funnier if it wasn't so stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies