Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 09:09 PM

22,157 posts, read 19,402,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I imagine it falls under the same rules as military, Peace Corps, overseas Department of State workers, Department of Defense employees, and college students - residents of the state who are temporarily living outside the state for purposes that are not considered a permanent move, and I know with the military, Department of State and Department of Defense employees whether or not they maintain a residence in the state is immaterial. When I lived on bases in states like California, Tennessee, Virginia, Texas, Illinois, Kansas, etc., we remained Kentucky residents, and voted in Kentucky elections, despite it being decades since living there and having no actual Kentucky address to give them. They used the precinct of our last Kentucky address until we returned. Yes, multiple people not related to us in any way lived there during that time period.
It would seem that it would likely fall under that and the law seems to indicate they an vote in their former precinct, however the intent of returning is also part of it. Pence obviously is not returning to the Governor's mansion and from a technical standpoint no longer lived there when he became Vice President (his term for Governor ended 11 days prior to him becoming VP).

All in all from the letter of the law, Pence is probably fine, but from the intent and spirit of the law it is a bit more questionable. I certainly don't think the intent of the law is to allow Ex Governors the ability to vote from the Governor's mansion almost 4 years after they left office, regardless of what they did next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 02:39 AM

29,198 posts, read 22,269,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It would seem that it would likely fall under that and the law seems to indicate they a vote in their former precinct, however the intent of returning is also part of it. Pence obviously is not returning to the Governor's mansion and from a technical standpoint no longer lived there when he became Vice President (his term for Governor ended 11 days prior to him becoming VP).

All in all from the letter of the law, Pence is probably fine, but from the intent and spirit of the law it is a bit more questionable. I certainly don't think the intent of the law is to allow Ex Governors the ability to vote from the Governor's mansion almost 4 years after they left office, regardless of what they did next.
Meh.
How many serving Governors have ever been elected Vice Presidents?
He's like members of the military, college kids, or folks who are working temporarily in other states. If he hasn't re-registered somewhere else, it doesn't matter where he's living. If his district hasn't changed, his last address remains official.

I was all 3 at various times in my life, but I was always registered at my parent's address. I didn't even have to notify my voting district when I was in the Navy. The Navy did it for me, and I got my first Presidential election ballot while out at sea in the Mediterranean.

Pence never knew if he was going to be leaving Indiana at all until Election Day. with 11 days still left on his term, the governor's mansion was his last residence. He had to re-register to make it so, which is legal.

So Pence could still own his Indiana home. When he returns to be a full-time resident again, it's no problem to re-register at that address.

It's not the house that qualifies the voter; it's the voting law that qualifies the voter.

If Pence is still a legal voter in Indiana, then his only legal ballot is one from Indiana. It's the only legal voting roll his name is on. He wouldn't be allowed to vote anywhere else.

If he votes in person next month, he'll have to go back to the same district poll he went to when Governor, unless his district was changed after he left.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:33 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,127,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Pence never knew if he was going to be leaving Indiana at all until Election Day. with 11 days still left on his term, the governor's mansion was his last residence. He had to re-register to make it so, which is legal.

So Pence could still own his Indiana home. When he returns to be a full-time resident again, it's no problem to re-register at that address.

It's not the house that qualifies the voter; it's the voting law that qualifies the voter.

If Pence is still a legal voter in Indiana, then his only legal ballot is one from Indiana. It's the only legal voting roll his name is on. He wouldn't be allowed to vote anywhere else.

If he votes in person next month, he'll have to go back to the same district poll he went to when Governor, unless his district was changed after he left.

Pence hasn't been governor for almost 4 years now. He's had plenty of time to re-register at a different address, including a home he owns there, but apparently he does not actually own a home. But if he did, it's absurd to say he hasn't been able to change is registration to that address since 2017

Again, I would like other information, like whether he files Indiana state income taxes. That would help demonstrate that he considers himself a resident of Indiana for more than just voting purposes when he's actually been living somewhere else

Old 10-11-2020, 09:49 AM

8,453 posts, read 4,505,810 times
This looks to be real actual VOTER FRAUD. The Republicans should look into it.

Contrast this to the Native American voters that many states tried to disenfranchise because numbered addresses are not always used on native lands. They lived in these states in homes but had no official numbered street address. Many states tried to prevent them from voting for this despite the fact they were full-time year round state residents.

Last edited by MMS02760; 10-11-2020 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-11-2020, 01:44 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,325,479 times
This shouldn’t be a gray area. Vote where you live. Both Pence and Trump should vote in Washington D.C.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:45 PM

20,112 posts, read 16,092,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It would seem that it would likely fall under that and the law seems to indicate they an vote in their former precinct, however the intent of returning is also part of it. Pence obviously is not returning to the Governor's mansion and from a technical standpoint no longer lived there when he became Vice President (his term for Governor ended 11 days prior to him becoming VP).

I don’t agree. I think this is exactly the intent of the law, you have to have somewhere to vote when you live on federal property. We certainly had no intention to return to the tiny Kentucky community that was our last Kentucky home before he went on active duty, or even the region of a Kentucky it was in. We weren’t even sure we would return to Kentucky at all. We are far from alone on this among service members.

He’s not voting from the governor’s mansion. He voting in the precinct that includes the governor’s mansion. I doubt Pence has any intention of staying in DC after his tenure in the White House is over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
This looks to be real actual VOTER FRAUD. The Republicans should look into it.
It’s not voter fraud, or are you insinuating that military members are committing voter fraud whenever they vote in their home state?

Old 10-11-2020, 10:01 PM

20,112 posts, read 16,092,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Pence hasn't been governor for almost 4 years now. He's had plenty of time to re-register at a different address, including a home he owns there, but apparently he does not actually own a home. But if he did, it's absurd to say he hasn't been able to change is registration to that address since 2017

Again, I would like other information, like whether he files Indiana state income taxes. That would help demonstrate that he considers himself a resident of Indiana for more than just voting purposes when he's actually been living somewhere else
Oh, good grief. To vote in Indiana he must be a resident of Indiana. As a resident of Indiana he must file taxes in the state of Indiana if he earns any money, even if he earns zero dollars in actual Indiana. If he earns money in another state he must also file that state. The taxes paid in one state offset the taxes owed in the other state. We spent literally decades doing this, one year I had to file taxes in four states because we moved twice in the year, I ended up subbing in three states that year, and I still had to file with Kentucky.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:12 AM

5,307 posts, read 4,395,554 times
People that bring up this crap obviously have never been a federal worker that must live, temporarily, in other parts of the country or the world.

Indiana is his home of record. Neither he nor his spouse are required to register to vote in DC. I have lived in 9 states as a military spouse. I never once, nor was I required to, changed my home of record.

As for the taxes, I spent 26 years filing taxes in two states, the one that was my home of record and the one in which the income was earned.

People really need something big to be this outraged about. This is just petty.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:30 PM

22,157 posts, read 19,402,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
People that bring up this crap obviously have never been a federal worker that must live, temporarily, in other parts of the country or the world.

Indiana is his home of record. Neither he nor his spouse are required to register to vote in DC. I have lived in 9 states as a military spouse. I never once, nor was I required to, changed my home of record.

As for the taxes, I spent 26 years filing taxes in two states, the one that was my home of record and the one in which the income was earned.

People really need something big to be this outraged about. This is just petty.
FWIW, I don't think the argument was if there is an issue with him being registered in Indiana while living in DC as VP. It was more of if he can still use an address at the Governor's Mansion (which he hasn't held in almost four years) as his legal address for voting purposes. While from a legal perspective he seems fine, this wasn't like someone was questioning Pence from voting at his legal Indiana residence.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:28 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,822,831 times
Who cares if Pence is voting in Indiana really. As long as he's only voting once...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies