Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 01:15 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,473,888 times

Advertisements

It is time to abolish the Commission for Presidential Debates, which has become biased, arrogant and obsolete. Newt Gingrich very effectively makes the case in the article below.

Quote:
Abolish the Arrogant, Biased Debate Commission

As the New York Post put it, “Looks like the Commission for Presidential Debates has joined CNN et al. in the tank for Joe Biden: Its bid to dictate a new, virtual format for the next Biden-Trump faceoff was a blatant gift to a candidate who never wants to stray far from his basement.”

This year, the commission has picked a registered Democrat, a friendly biographer of Nancy Pelosi, and a Biden intern as the first three moderators. All four moderators are Washington insiders who live in Washington, socialize in Washington, and have no relationship with the so-called “deplorables” the Left despises.

The commission represents precisely the values and attitudes which were repudiated in the election of President Trump. Even the Republicans on the supposedly non-partisan commission board are pre-Trump members of the old order.
And former Republican Presidential Candidate Bob Dole seals the deal, with the following tweet, in which he states that he knows all the Republicans on the Commission and that none of them support President Trump. He goes on to characterize the Commission as biased and unfair.

https://twitter.com/SenatorDole/stat...57560994045952

So that will hopefully do it. There can still be presidential debates after the end of the Commission for Presidential Debates. The format for those will just need to be negotiated directly between the candidates.

To be fair, this Commission has been biased all along and should have been put out of its misery for sure after the 2012 debate moderated by Candy Crowley, at the very latest. But after the dramatic mishandling of these debates orchestrated by this Commission this election cycle, there can be no further excuse. It must be ended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 01:28 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,148,442 times
How do you plan on abolishing a nonprofit corporation? It is not a government department. Other than not participating in their events, the president ,or other candidate, has no say in what they can or can not do.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How do you plan on abolishing a nonprofit corporation? It is not a government department. Other than not participating in their events, the president ,or other candidate, has no say in what they can or can not do.
Surely you are just being obtuse. What Newt Gingrich is proposing is the abolition of the agreement to rely on the Commission for Presidential Debates as a tool for organizing these debates. Did you really not understand that?

The Commission could hypothetically continue to organizationally exist, even after it no longer serves ANY purpose, if someone want to fund it or whatever. But why would anyone who is not a moron want to do that?

Old 10-10-2020, 01:51 PM

1,768 posts, read 564,672 times
Moooommmy! These people won’t give me and my friends ice cream! Make them go away!

Old 10-10-2020, 01:56 PM

35,517 posts, read 17,786,180 times
And go back to the debates being facilitated by the League of Women Voters? That would probably work. I don't think I've ever seen a politically fairer group.

I would like to see 3rd party candidates, with some stipulations (petition signature requirement, for example) included too.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And go back to the debates being facilitated by the League of Women Voters? That would probably work. I don't think I've ever seen a politically fairer group.

I would like to see 3rd party candidates, with some stipulations (petition signature requirement, for example) included too.
No going back to anything. Going forward to direct negotiations between the candidates to determine the terms and the format of the debates.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:10 PM

8,430 posts, read 4,483,372 times
I could care less what Gingrich says. The hyper-partisanship in DC had its genesis with him and his congressional allies in the 90's. They were ideologues against any compromise and they poisoned the capitol for decades continuing to this day.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:16 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,453,073 times
Does anyone really listen to Newt Gingrich? I mean, seriously? I'm not even sure the true believers on Faux News listen to Newty.

And, as the poster above me correctly states, the hyper partisanship in government was Newt's creation, with his fellow GOPers assisting him.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Does anyone really listen to Newt Gingrich? I mean, seriously? I'm not even sure the true believers on Faux News listen to Newty.

And, as the poster above me correctly states, the hyper partisanship in government was Newt's creation, with his fellow GOPers assisting him.
Yes, a lot of people respect and admire Newt Gingrich.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:10 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,027,849 times
Agree 100%. If the campaigns can't come together and pick the moderators,times,dates and questions asked then there shouldn't be any debates period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies