Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 04:45 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I dare any conservative to justify what Graham just said.
I'd withhold judgement on a 10 second clip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
This is the theory I have about Graham. He likely doesn't want Blacks to vote for him. He wants White conservatives to vote for him. His comments might also go to the heart of the "fence-setting" types. Some people will see his comments as a kind of joke and vote for him anyway. Some people who HATE liberals will be attracted to him.

South Carolina is a politically polarized state, and race is a big part to play. South Carolina is 27% Black and 69% White. There is one major bastion for White liberals in South Carolina, Charleston. Outside of that, Whites vote mostly Republican, and Blacks vote Democrat. The counties that Hilary Clinton won in 2016, most of them were majority-Black counties. And those that weren't, they had Black populations between 45-46 percent. Only Charleston County (where the aptly named city of Charleston is located) had a Black population below 45% (it's 28% Black, 64% White). In my view, Graham is likely snubbing the majority-Black counties and Charleston, relying on the White conservative vote. His comments were likely meant for his support base, not to attract Black voters, not even Black conservatives.

so tell us about Tim Scott.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
To me, it sounds like someone would who not mind South Carolina being a fascist state. It sounds like someone who wouldn't mind kicking out the vast majority of South Carolina's Black population. I'm not saying he would do that. I will say this. Given South Carolina's history as far as race relations is concerned, this is something that could go through someone's mind. It is something that went through my mind.
you're a SC voter?

Old 10-10-2020, 04:53 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'd withhold judgement on a 10 second clip.
Thing is .... they can say a lot. They can be subtle and be a jaw-dropping moment to those who it hits home for in one's Base or a Group seeing it is a key point of their sub-belief and to some - they totally agree discreetly and note it is meant for them to others it can be seen as a slap.

Senator Lindsey's comment was not subtle.... it was direct. Just specifics can be cloudy.....

Old 10-10-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wonder if he fully intended, and planned to say that statement at this appearance. Or whether somehow his brain left his body for a moment and he ended up saying something he hadn't planned on, and he really wish he hadn't said.

I'm kind of inclined to believe he intended to say just what he said, and is going all in, trying to get racists who are lazy and might not vote up off the couch and vote for him.
Texas?

Old 10-10-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
This has occurred to me. He is likely appealing to racists that live in his state. Given the racially charged political climate we're in now, it might be an easy thing to do, especially in South Carolina. Blacks are 27% of the state's population, larger than most other states (only Georgia, Maryland, Louisiana, and Mississippi have larger Black populations). There are some racist individuals who likely know this and might feel threatened by it. This is just a theory that's occurred to me.
so a conservative = racist, and a liberal is not. Okeydoke.

Without taking more than the 3-4 seconds whatever he said "means", this is exactly true.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:19 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so a conservative = racist, and a liberal is not. Okeydoke.

Without taking more than the 3-4 seconds whatever he said "means", this is exactly true.
The person you replied to did not say Conservatives. It was also about that 10 seconds of what Senator Lindsey said.

What do you believe what Lindsey said means and for? HE said some Racist Individuals.... I can say the same on comments made to me in my local bar/clubs/volunteer Firehouses that are made up mainly of locals and not transplants from areas that are different in cultures and music to many. Some of the club members are not scared to vent their views in these places They are not limited to locals. Just for the most part they are.
i

Old 10-10-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Thing is .... they can say a lot. They can be subtle and be a jaw-dropping moment to those who it hits home for in one's Base or a Group seeing it is a key point of their sub-belief and to some - they totally agree discreetly and note it is meant for them to others it can be seen as a slap.

Senator Lindsey's comment was not subtle.... it was direct. Just specifics can be cloudy.....
you're in SC? You've seen the entirety of his answer, not just the 10-second clip?

I'm neither. But I would withhold judgement on how SC votes until I heard the whole clip, and heard what else he's done that may be racist in the last 10 years. I don't even know where he's from in SC, just that he's been plenty popular. He's won every election (House & Senate) by basically 60-40.

The Dems best chance against him in SC is that he's possibly homosexual, which of course the Dems can't run against him on. Y'all want to believe that R's at large, and particularly us Southern ones, would vote against a gay person. Believe it or not, we're generally more worried about the POTUS and Senate majority (some House districts have been gerrymandered to basically guarantee electing any Black candidate that runs) and the scope of government programs.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
The person you replied to did not say Conservatives. It was also about that 10 seconds of what Senator Lindsey said.

What do you believe what Lindsey said means and for? HE said some Racist Individuals.... I can say the same on comments made to me in my local bar/clubs/volunteer Firehouses that are made up mainly of locals and not transplants from areas that are different in cultures and music to many some who are not scared to vent their views in these places.
what you've shown us is a 10-second clip. Feel free to attach a link to the entire debate (it seems like this is what was going on, a debate).

Then, as a Southerner, I'll be happy to tell you what I think he said. I've said Trump has said stupid **** plenty of times. Hell, since (apparently) last night - I'm sure Graham has said something about it. I know when I went to google him (to see his election record) the first results were exactly what you originally posted.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:

btw, this is like redacting Trump's entire response down to "Stand back and stand by" or "he only paid $750 in taxes". It's for the simple minded who can't listen for more than 5 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies