Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 09:47 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,032,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No more elections...

Vladimir Putin becomes Russia's president for life

https://thehill.com/opinion/national...ident-for-life

Reminds me of a old Conan O'Brien bit where he interviews Saddam Hussein. Saddam claims to get 100% of the vote in his election. He says its his campaign platform. Vote for me and live, vote for the other guy and die.
Which the PEOPLE voted for. Good for them, its the best thing that could happen for the Russian people to have a strong patriotic nationalistic leader like Putin as president for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 10:05 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
Sure no problem

In no particular order

Viktor Orban
Vladimir Putin
Andrzej Duda
Jair Bolsonaro
Rodrigo Duterte

Strong leaders,patriotic men all of them.
I see the point with all these men except Putin and Duterte. In fact Putin and Duterte are brutal dictators. As a Republican I respect foreign leaders who stand up for their people and promote their own interests. One that comes to mind is the Brexit leader Boris Johnson. I also like you admire Bolsonaro, our conservative friend in the far south. I’m sorry though i do find Putin and Duterte to be destestable enemies of freedom.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:07 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
People actually have favorite world leaders..... Wow...

Old 10-10-2020, 10:11 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I see the point with all these men except Putin and Duterte. In fact Putin and Duterte are brutal dictators. As a Republican I respect foreign leaders who stand up for their people and promote their own interests. One that comes to mind is the Brexit leader Boris Johnson. I also like you admire Bolsonaro, our conservative friend in the far south. I’m sorry though i do find Putin and Duterte to be destestable enemies of freedom.
Brutal dictator. They are light weights. Neither has killed hundreds of thousands of their own people. When I think of brutal dictators I think of:
Hitler, Stalin, Mao, The Shah, Saddam, to name a few.

Putin is a dictator but he is hardly among the ranks called brutal. Duterte is a little man and I do believe that he was democratically elected.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:52 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Brutal dictator. They are light weights. Neither has killed hundreds of thousands of their own people. When I think of brutal dictators I think of:

Putin is a dictator but he is hardly among the ranks called brutal. Duterte is a little man and I do believe that he was democratically elected.
Ok they do not rise to the level of those evil men you mentioned. However both order their own people killed. Both repress opposition to their rule. While they are definitely not evil like Stalin, Hitler or Mao they still in my opinion are brutal and repressive.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:01 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ok they do not rise to the level of those evil men you mentioned. However both order their own people killed. Both repress opposition to their rule. While they are definitely not evil like Stalin, Hitler or Mao they still in my opinion are brutal and repressive.
I guess. Like comparing 10 push ups to bench pressing 300 pounds for 10 reps.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:02 PM

22,449 posts, read 11,972,828 times
OP---How did this thread work out for you?

Old 10-11-2020, 05:58 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
OP---How did this thread work out for you?

Exactly as expected. A couple of honest replies and others who can't follow directions. Correct response would be former US presidents as well as perhaps Churchill and Gandhi. I never said living or current world leaders. For myself no current ones qualify.

For me I would go in no particular order:

Teddy Roosevelt
Gandhi
Churchill
Lincoln
Reagan

Not saying they are the greatest even only my favorites.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:49 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
Which the PEOPLE voted for. Good for them, its the best thing that could happen for the Russian people to have a strong patriotic nationalistic leader like Putin as president for life.
That's the thing. If Russia's parliament wants to be a rubber stamp for Putin, so what? That's what the people voted for and they continue to vote Putin into power.

Ultimately, we can't get upset with a President Putin "for life" on the one hand, while cozying up to the monarchies of the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, etc.) and elsewhere on the other hand.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:23 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post

Oh, killing and imprisoning his rivals doesn’t make him brutal?

Assassinating rivaling in England with radioactive poison isn’t enough to qualify?

You Trumpies have low standards indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies