Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 02:44 PM

19,651 posts, read 9,192,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Young people go were there are jobs and night life
Middle-aged- where thee are jobs and good schools and affordable homes.
Old people go where there are no taxes and warmth.
I never for the life of me understand why old snow tops come to Florida knowing its full of Latinos and all types of folks from all over the world if they are going to be unhappy. stupid - but I have witnessed it over and over.
However, I have several FB expat groups in Mexico- and they do the same crap there... try to change the environment to some north cold-hearted state. Guess that is what is bred there. I was raised my school years in PA/NJ and will never - ever return. BRRR its not about about politics, but mind sets.
Nope to the bold for myself, at least. I went to a colder environment and moderate taxes. I don't mind paying taxes if I feel like I am getting good value for my money on things I approve of, like good roads and a good education system. (In Colorado, I objected to a LOT of what my taxes helped pay for!)

Last edited by katharsis; 10-11-2020 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 02:51 PM

182 posts, read 693,419 times
Moved from blue Maryland to red Texas and I love it!

Old 10-11-2020, 02:51 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,657,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Yes, so many that it started to effect the makeup of the local politics.

sadly, yes.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:59 PM

19,651 posts, read 9,192,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Oh, BS.

The country has been divided since 1865, ever since the Confederate traitors refused to accept defeat.
Actually, long before that, even. Most of those people who came to New England in the 1600's were farmers (and later on, merchants) who, for the most part, either did their own labor or else hired others. These people were very different in motivations and attitudes from those aristocrats who came to Jamestown and surrounding areas.

Of course, there are exceptions to the above, but the above is generally true. (New York being a notable exception, as 42% of New York households owned slaves in 1703, according to this link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver..._United_States (The reference source for the link was The Hidden History of Slavery in New York". The Nation. ISSN 0027-8378. Retrieved 2016-10-11. )

Last edited by katharsis; 10-11-2020 at 04:09 PM..

Old 10-11-2020, 03:00 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,385,959 times
I prefer a metro area and a bit blue, but not an echo chamber.

Old 10-11-2020, 03:35 PM

6,458 posts, read 4,039,484 times
I don't really care either way. I'm currently in Central Austin and 2 years ago my precinct went something like 80% to Beto. I grew up in a suburb outside of Houston that's purple-ish but the neighborhood I lived in was slightly red like 55-45 max likely less than that. The county I was in was Blue last election but by only a few points (Fort Bend County).

I like Texas, Austin, Houston, Katy and all of those areas have different politics.

Old 10-11-2020, 03:58 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,787,590 times
I prefer to reside in a state or location of which the population owns their personal views of which they'll Express without emotional meltdowns i.e. liberal hatred or conservative prejudice laced with inaudible gibberish and regurgitated rhetoric.

Red or Blue I'd prefer residential dwellings with minimal foolishness, and intelligible dialogue involving resolution; oppose to divisive shenanigans.

Far to many cowardice men & women pointing the finger at red or blue while completely neglecting our nation's turmoil.

Old 10-11-2020, 04:36 PM

18,415 posts, read 7,048,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
sadly, yes.

It got to the point in Charlotte that when two people would meet for the first time, it was normal for them to ask each other where they were from.

Because not many people were actually FROM Charlotte.

I ran into a lot of people that I knew from Upstate NY there.

Everyone had the same story.....

They loved NY state but hated NY government....no jobs, high taxes etc.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,570,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
I'd considered retiring to a cheap to live in red state, but this year has been a real eye opener into just how backward some of them are.
Oklahoma isn't as profoundly backward as it used to be. It has the most liberal legal medical marijuana program in the nation.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,570,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Red states have been attracting corporations with tax breaks, attractive financial packages, and gutted labor protection for decades. Where have you been? How do you think all those auto plants ended up in the south?
Texas is attracting most of the corporations, though. For starters, Tesla is currently in construction of a new truck plant in the Austin area. Meanwhile, Kansas is barely able to maintain its population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies