Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Lowering Medicare Eligibility to Age 60
Biden Voter and I Support It 39 40.21%
Biden Voter and I Don't Support It 11 11.34%
Trump Voter and I Support It 13 13.40%
Trump Voter and I Don't Support It 34 35.05%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 03:13 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
He's a leftist, he wants as many American citizens beholden to, and dependent on the federal government as possible. It's a horrible idea. Medicare is such poor health care that it mandates everyone to buy supplemental insurance and eye and dental care. Medicare sucks.
Biden is not a Medicare for all supporter.

Medicare has been a wonderful program for untold millions of patients the last half century. Yes one also needs a supplement, but it is relatively cheap if you buy at age 65. And a drug plan. The combined is much cheaper and in most cases much easier to use than most HC plans.

At 69 I pay half what my wife pays in premiums at age 64. I have much lower copays and deductibles. And I can use my plan anywhere in the USA, unlike her state based BXBS Obamacare plan. I have never had any trouble finding a provider. And I never have to call anyone for approvals. These are big deals if you have been there!

What Medicare is not so great at is in paying us docs enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 06:34 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I support lowering it to age 55 at least. We could consider other age options.

Part A is paid out of Social Security commencing at 65, anyone who joins before qualifying would have to pay for Part A until their 65th birthday, but that is viable.

Adding younger people to the pool would definitely strengthen the program. Making preventive care more accessible would definitely bring down the overall costs across the country by helping reduce emergency room visits.

I don't see why not.
No way it "strengthens" the Program - the Medicare Program is in trouble now.
Adding people will NOT help that.
Yes it will.

Younger and healthier people in the pool will definitely improve program. By isolating the membership to the oldest and most vulnerable group (as we have up until now) it becomes a more expensive program by default.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:36 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
He's a leftist, ...
No he's not. Biden is a centrist with strong ties to labor.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:38 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Since the US will never pass universal health care and any universal coverage seems like it will inevitably be a patchwork of existing systems, sure go ahead and lower it. That's 5 more years of people that are covered.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:38 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
I'll be 59 next year and that would be a major factor allowing me to retire at age 60, so go for it. It won't bother me that younger workers will see their taxes spike to provide for this, since, as I said, I'll be retired. Bring it on kiddos, put Biden in office to raise your taxes to pay for my health care! Best of all, no Obamacare penalty while I spend my time on the beach.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:44 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Raising the Medicare age means you enroll sicker and more expensive patients!

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAg&uact=5
Um-no. Raising the Medicare age means you save the money for the sicker and more expensive patients. Lowering it means more people are drawing from Medicare, but no more paying in (since you already do so via taxes while you work). Financially for the system, it also encourages more people to retire earlier, meaning fewer people paying INTO the system, not JUST more taking out.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:13 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Early on 55% of the replies are in favor. Bi-partisan at that.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:58 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Um-no. Raising the Medicare age means you save the money for the sicker and more expensive patients. Lowering it means more people are drawing from Medicare, but no more paying in (since you already do so via taxes while you work). Financially for the system, it also encourages more people to retire earlier, meaning fewer people paying INTO the system, not JUST more taking out.
You move more costs onto the not as elderly as they stay out in the more expensive private sector. And since the HC costs are so high there, many avoid care trying to make to Medicare. Older enrollees, delayed for whatever reason cost more when they do enroll.

But all this is based on who pays what, when and why. That is personal premiums, copays and deductibles. Then there is yours and others' taxes. Then there is deficit spending money.

There must be many key points to consider in lowering enrollment age. Including avoiding the encouragement of retiring.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:04 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
No he's not. Biden is a centrist with strong ties to labor.
Biden used to be a centrist. The radicals are controlling him now. You’re voting for Harris, not Biden. Until he’s out, probably within a year, he’ll do exactly what radicals want him to do.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:05 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
The fact that entitlement expansion is even under discussion shows how childish and unserious our politics are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies