Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2020, 02:08 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
A legislator should decide the start and end of the right to privacy?

Really? This is the gift that just keeps on giving.

So the legislators who are prohibited from interfering with your enumerated and unenumerarated rights, including the 4th, should determine the extent of those rights? So reasonable restrictions?

Jeez, wake up and smell the coffee, you want to restrict your rights to gun ownership, unreasonable search, free speech, religion, peaceful assembly, to restrict the rights of others to have a medical procedure, that is safer than either giving birth, or, having a non-medical termination?

Because you think the right to privacy should be the arbiter of where a right starts, and ends.
What I'm saying is the Court is just as likely or more to rule against a privacy or right I value as a legislator is, but there is less recourse to change or influence Court rulings and precedent than there is legislation.

I can see how the 4th amendment and other amendments and an implied right to privacy protect against most of the things you mention, but don't see it applicable or relevant to what medical procedure such as abortion is considered ethical and allowed in the first place. It's akin to saying, the 4th amendment gives the right to privacy and that means a right to euthanasia. It's a leap in reasoning or a non sequitur just to make the decree the Constitution requires it as a right.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:35 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Nature causes all kinds of medical conditions that medical technology can now fix. Do we deny medical treatment to those with cancer? Cancer is natural yet we do not require people to just go with it because nature is requiring it.

When a fetus is inside the woman it is her body that is keeping it alive, at least up until viability. If a woman decides that she does not want to allow her body to be used by this fetus with it's own DNA she can deny the use of her body to keep it alive. Just like a person can refuse to give blood or donate organs to keep others alive.
Sure she can deny the use of her body. Unfortunately that involves killing hers and the fathers son or daughter.

There is no comparison to refusing to give blood or donate organs. That is an Elementary School level lame debating point.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:08 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Default Susan Collins is a no on ACB

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/bre...n-amy-barrett/ Well this certainly isn't shocking. I know she is fighting for her political life in the senate race. Either way I am sure they still have the 50 votes with Pence casting the tie breaker. I hope she loses. RINO!!!

Old 10-14-2020, 04:13 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Women have committed sexual assault so it was a legit question.
Have you ever robbed a bank?
Have you ever murdered someone?

No it was not a legitimate question.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:20 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post

It seems that being ridiculously stupid has become the preferred avenue for making your bones in Left Wing politics.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:29 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
After today's disgusting questions and remarks I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow Hirono, Feinstein, et al trotted out some men and/or women that accuse ACB of sexual harassment. I saw it as a set up.
"There was this one time at the 9th grade Prom she grabbed my hand and wanted to dance. I felt sexually assaulted and bullied. I'm now in therapy, an addict and can no longer have normal relationships".

Old 10-14-2020, 04:29 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
As usual my disclaimer: I am mostly libertarian and I have significant ideological divisions with both ruling political parties. No one represents me in congress.

It's hard for me to believe a 50 year old privileged Catholic Irish Woman from New Orleans should have the right to have governance over the reproductive choices of a 20 year old Black or Latina Woman in NYC.

She has 5 siblings and 7 children, yet doesn't live below the poverty line like most Americans in that situation. She is a Justice Scalia fan but lacks the life experience and objectivity.

I don't believe for a second she understands the gravity of this situation at all. Her responses are sophomoric and unsophisticated which shows her lack of experience. Being a great Mom doesn't equate to being a good Judge.

She is too young for this appointment and yet somehow upholds archaic views of the law which do not fit society today. Most certainly she is a puppet. She is living a 1950s lifestyle in a dystopian Republic. But in her bubble everything is alright and OK.

I have many other issues with her but I'll just leave it at that.

Hirono got all up in her business, which was great but I would have went even further.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:33 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Too bad they don't ask Joe Biden that question.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:36 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
She asks every candidate that. If she hadn't, you guys would be calling her sexist for asking men but not women.

She also showed that Barrett thinks homosexuality is a choice, not an orientation. She gave paid speeches for a group that wants to criminalize it.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ep4j...-homosexuality

What a stupid excuse.

Why does she feel compelled to ask ANYONE that question as a matter of rote?

And why just that question?

Why not ask her if she's ever committed murder?

Or smuggled cocaine?

Or bank fraud?

What is it about sexual assault in particular that it needs to be singled out as it's own disqualifier as opposed to any other crime?

Old 10-14-2020, 04:38 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,665,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
She asks every candidate that. If she hadn't, you guys would be calling her sexist for asking men but not women.

Doesnt make the question any less stupid and embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies