Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2020, 01:58 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

So far the deaths per new cases ratio is far lower now than when it began. We have way more cases but fewer deaths, usually 300 to 1000 per day. I think those most susceptible have mostly already died when exposed. Those left are more able to fight it off. In the long run it will mutate and be like the seasonable flu. Like Asia we should bring back mask use during peak episodes of it and have short term closures of schools. Maybe a couple weeks, not months like is now going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 02:06 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Around spring of 2021 as vaccines and treatments become available generally. On the other hand, both J&Js vaccine and Lilly's monoclonal antibody trials got set back today after adverse events. Without a vaccine and treatments, this could go on for another year or two ravaging places here and there in successive waves. Don't count on this virus to mutate itself away. It is pretty stable.

Old 10-13-2020, 02:08 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
So far the deaths per new cases ratio is far lower now than when it began. We have way more cases but fewer deaths, usually 300 to 1000 per day. I think those most susceptible have mostly already died when exposed. Those left are more able to fight it off. In the long run it will mutate and be like the seasonable flu. Like Asia we should bring back mask use during peak episodes of it and have short term closures of schools. Maybe a couple weeks, not months like is now going on.

I am refusing to wear mask now, i for sure going to refuse to wear mask in the future.

Old 10-13-2020, 02:40 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Your offer is accepted!
Don't expect the general public to pay for your funeral. You get a cremation and a coffee can.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:41 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
I thought it would all die out by summer. But my son personally knows two people who have gotten it twice, so immunity on many isn't particularly long lasting (they got it 6 months apart). So I guess it will go away with the vaccine.

Democrats will keep up lockdowns as long as they can continue the fear mongering and claim it was that and not the vaccines that ended it. If Biden wins, he will try to get lockdowns nationwide and we will have endless court fights.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:17 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I thought it would all die out by summer. But my son personally knows two people who have gotten it twice, so immunity on many isn't particularly long lasting (they got it 6 months apart). So I guess it will go away with the vaccine.

Democrats will keep up lockdowns as long as they can continue the fear mongering and claim it was that and not the vaccines that ended it. If Biden wins, he will try to get lockdowns nationwide and we will have endless court fights.
Just like the flu, people who catch it will be able to catch many times. However, it will be a milder course each time. For most, Covid19 is less serious than even the common cold.

Covid19 won't go away. Even the vaccines manufactured will not be effective. They will be like the flu vaccine (something I predicted) that will require yearly boosts, and are only 50% effective at best. We will all learn to live with it when we get bored with all these restrictions.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:29 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB108 View Post
When will I stop being forced to wear a mask and not be able to enjoy all my activities and hobbies (IE sports events) for something that has a 0.0001 death rate for ages 0-70?

Will politicians try to keep the rule even once we get a vaccine?
It's unfortunate you refer to it as nonsense in your title. Some 215,000 dead from complications of the virus, and thousands were sick or very sick with it. Nobody knows how long this virus is going to be around, we can only hope and pray that it's under control soon.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:42 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
OP - Nothing is stopping you from relocating to a state with no restrictions. Do it.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:46 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Every one of the 215,000 Covid-19 deaths and the 7.8 million cases in the US represent a personal failure of contagion control.
Some of those deaths have been health care people who did not have access to adequate PPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Just like the flu, people who catch it will be able to catch many times. However, it will be a milder course each time. For most, Covid19 is less serious than even the common cold.

Covid19 won't go away. Even the vaccines manufactured will not be effective. They will be like the flu vaccine (something I predicted) that will require yearly boosts, and are only 50% effective at best. We will all learn to live with it when we get bored with all these restrictions.
How do you know the vaccines will not be effective or only 50% effective or require yearly boosts?

There is no guarantee that reinfections will be less severe, and they do appear to be infrequent.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:50 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
OP - Nothing is stopping you from relocating to a state with no restrictions. Do it.
Some of us have jobs, real-estate or other constraints. But to your point, yes, South Dakota is looking more attractive every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies