Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 07:35 AM

67 posts, read 40,488 times

Advertisements

When will I stop being forced to wear a mask and not be able to enjoy all my activities and hobbies (IE sports events) for something that has a 0.0001 death rate for ages 0-70?

Will politicians try to keep the rule even once we get a vaccine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 07:42 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,708 times
https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-9243914747

COVID's mortality rate for people under 70 is low, but not irrelevant. If half a percent, given COVID's proclivity for spread, you're talking about close to 2 million deaths if everybody in the country gets infected (obviously there would be higher deaths because the >70s would die at higher rates). Plus, many more will be significantly impaired by long-term damage to lungs, heart, brain.

My guess is mask rules and activity restrictions go away when the pandemic is good and contained. Currently, that doesn't appear to be the case: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...sesinlast7days

Old 10-12-2020, 07:44 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,443,918 times
By 2023. This is going to be a 4 year war.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:46 AM

284 posts, read 78,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB108 View Post
When will I stop being forced to wear a mask and not be able to enjoy all my activities and hobbies (IE sports events) for something that has a 0.0001 death rate for ages 0-70?

Will politicians try to keep the rule even once we get a vaccine?
Unfortunately, you will have to wait till after November 3rd, 2020.

I believe that's when the Vaccine will be released for most Americans to have access to.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:46 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
vaccine.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:47 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post

COVID's mortality rate for people under 70 is low, but not irrelevant. If half a percent, given COVID's proclivity for spread, you're talking about close to 2 million deaths if everybody in the country gets infected (obviously there would be higher deaths because the >70s would die at higher rates). Plus, many more will be significantly impaired by long-term damage to lungs, heart, brain.

My guess is mask rules and activity restrictions go away when the pandemic is good and contained. Currently, that doesn't appear to be the case: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...sesinlast7days
Yes. The more people continue to balk at minor inconveniences, the longer it will last.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:48 AM

67 posts, read 40,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post

half a percent LMAO. Count the people who are asymptomatic who never got tested, it's likely 0.001%

take out the people with severe health problems or severe obesity - it's likely 0.0000000000001%

Old 10-12-2020, 07:50 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I would say it depends on the election.

If Trump wins there will be a doubling down by the media and the Dems on spreading the fear over Covid.

If Biden wins we will see the opposite coming from the media where instead of hyping the daily death tally they will instead focus on the numbers of people that have survived their bout with the virus.

They will put a positive spin on their virus reporting which will at least ease peoples anxiety over it. We will still have to be careful everyday but the fear of this black plague will not be as great.

Eventually there may be a vaccine but more than likely there will be drugs that will ease the suffering of the infected and lower the deaths from it similar to what has happened with HIV/Aids.

Everyday we learn more about this virus so things are looking up. It is already not the instant death ticket it was a few months ago.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:52 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful DC View Post
Unfortunately, you will have to wait till after November 3rd, 2020.

I believe that's when the Vaccine will be released for most Americans to have access to.
The vaccine is not the end. It is move towards the end. It will take many months to vaccinate just our HC workers and our high risk people. And then maybe 2 shots needed. And then some more weeks for the vaccines to affect our body's immune systems. It will take many months from the initial release of any vaccine.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:55 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB108 View Post
half a percent LMAO. Count the people who are asymptomatic who never got tested, it's likely 0.001%

take out the people with severe health problems or severe obesity - it's likely 0.0000000000001%
Best estimates today for "herd immunity" by way of antibody development is 15%-20% in the worst hit areas, and that's probably a stretch. COVID has a LONG way to go before it makes its way through the rest of the population.

Also, I personally know a couple of very fit, very healthy, 30-40 year-old people who were hospitalized with severe COVID. 9 million people in this country have diabetes. 65 million have hypertension. Maybe 2-3 million with cancer. Many more with autoimmune disorders or transplant patients that are immunocompromised.

Lastly, let's get a handle on how many people are going on disability for the next year, 5 years, 20 years, due to severe, persistent COVID damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies