Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 01:35 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,033,390 times

Advertisements

I do. I vote 99% GOP but in races I don't care about if their is a 3rd party candidate I vote for them BUT I consider myself an independent or nowadays a Trump republican I didn't back Romney or McCain

I believe in

Universal Education
Universal Healthcare
Living Wage

Essentially I wouldn't mind seeing Roosevelt's 2nd bill of rights being implemented. Here is a link and small snippet of what that means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Bill_of_Rights

But I am also VERY pro first amendment and pro 2nd amendment like I would defend those to the death and that's just a two things I disagree with the left on. So as many can see I am VERY traditional right on social issues but very "left" on economic issues. Not really a party out there I can belong to IMO.

I have a LOT in common with Huey Long and his Long Plan or Share Our Wealth plan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share_Our_Wealth

What about everyone else? Anything you agree with the opposite side on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 01:39 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post

I believe in

Universal Education
Universal Healthcare
Living Wage

And your voting for the GOP, that is either against the things you listed or wants to do away with them.

You see that disconnect?

Old 10-12-2020, 01:46 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,033,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
And your voting for the GOP, that is either against the things you listed or wants to do away with them.

You see that disconnect?
Yep but I am even more against the left's attack on free speech and gun rights. So don't have much choice, and a lot of the things I agree with on the left are states rights that states can expand on. I wish Georgia would because medicaid here SUCKS.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:48 PM

6,666 posts, read 2,972,733 times
There is an issue with the way things are worded.

I find that most people, on all sides,.want those things. That list is a list of 'Things'. Good things,...sounds great.

But make a List of the HOW we get those things and you will get a better idea of the differences between parties.

Thing: The right to a good paying job.
Healthcare for all.

How: do we remove bloated restrictions on private businesses to allow for more competitive hiring?
do we enact laws that add restrictions to limit competition?
do we incentivize working and saving and investing so people can afford healthcare?
do we socialize healthcare using higher taxes on higher incomes?

I know those are paraphrased examples,..but you get where I am going?

Old 10-12-2020, 01:52 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
I respect the old-school Republican stance that if you can make it without help, you should. We part ways when it comes to what to do when people cannot make it without help.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:55 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
pot should be legalized nationally. that issue is my only overlap with the biden democratic party platform.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:00 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
I agree that there is a problem with the costs of higher education and with the backlog of student loan debt.

I don’t think college should be paid for by the government, but the current approach is failing too many students and their families.

Many universities are sitting on huge endowments and yet raise tuition every year. Remote learning for COVID should also not be billed at full tuition rates.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:01 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
I agreed with Trump when he said "I take no responsibility".

Old 10-12-2020, 02:01 PM

4,509 posts, read 4,044,124 times
There are a couple of different aisles. I don't agree with anything that is an enemy of america.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:11 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
As a registered Independent, I guess I'm straddling the middle of the aisle, but both parties have stances I agree with:

I tend to agree more with the Republicans on gun control
I tend to agree more with the Dems on immigration
I'm much more on board with the Repubs when it comes to respecting the Constitution (Dems of have no respect for the Constitution)
I tend to agree more with Dems on LGBTQ issues
I tend to agree more with the Dems on the death penalty
I tend to agree more with the Repubs on law and order
I tend to agree more with Dems on marijuana laws
I tend to agree more with Repubs on abortion issues
I tend to agree more with Repubs on tolerance (Dems are extremely intolerant)
I tend to agree more with Repubs on racism (Dems are extremely racist)
I tend to agree more with Repubs on sexism (Dems are extremely sexist)
I tend to agree more with Dems on Universal Basic Income
I tend to agree more with Repubs on student loan forgiveness
I tend to agree more with Dems on prison reform.

Neither party has a clue when it comes to health care.
Neither party has a clue when it comes to police reform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies