Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ???
Yes, one issue usually decides my vote 7 12.28%
No, more than one issue decides my vote 45 78.95%
Other 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 11:58 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times

Advertisements

America is a strange place. People will vote for a party that generally does nothing for them, but they vote for said party perhaps because of one issue.

Examples:

Latinos are generally conservative - against non-straight marriage, catholic, etc...

Blacks are generally conservative - against non-straight marriage, Christians, etc...

Asians are generally conservative - against non-straight marriage, hard workers, etc...

But all of these groups of people vote for dems because:

They want an open border - to further chain migration or to get legalization...

Because they are more likely to support welfare...

Me...it took me many years, but I am now aware that almost all politicians are liars. And at some point I realized (on a national level, at least) that voting for Senators and Presidents is futile.

But the one issue I think DOES matter to me as a voter is: The SUPREME COURT.

So, I am a one-isssue voter. Are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 12:36 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
I wouldn't say I'm a one issue voter, but if a candidate is on the wrong side on just one issue of highest importance to me I wouldn't vote for the candidate. Supreme Court is one, amnesty for illegals is another etc.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:39 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,494,787 times
Sometimes I can't find a reason to vote for either candidate until the attack ads start. I am more likely to vote against candidates who go negative. We describe ourselves when we throw insults. That's a draw in many elections when both candidates spit fire and poison immediately.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:01 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
America is a strange place. People will vote for a party that generally does nothing for them, but they vote for said party perhaps because of one issue.

Examples:

Latinos are generally conservative - against non-straight marriage, catholic, etc...

Blacks are generally conservative - against non-straight marriage, Christians, etc...

Asians are generally conservative - against non-straight marriage, hard workers, etc.

But all of these groups of people vote for dems because:

They want an open border - to further chain migration or to get legalization...

Because they are more likely to support welfare...
So do you just pull numbers out of thin air or something?

According to this Pew poll in 2019 on support for Gay Marriage:

-White (non-Hispanic) support for gay marriage is 62%
-Latino support for gay marriage is 58%
-Black support for gay marriage is 51%

https://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/...-gay-marriage/

-Asian-American support for gay marriage is higher 75%

https://asamnews.com/2019/03/26/stud...-gay-marriage/

Old 10-14-2020, 04:18 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
I struggle with this. Why?

Well the reason is abortion... not the absoluteness often portrayed in politics, but yes this is the BIG one for me. However, if both candidates were to support a right to choose or the right to life, then I'd still have to make a decision, since a write in candidate will never win... IMO. I'd love to see a "neither" vote, but that would lead to coalition politics, which I'm unaccustomed to, and not sure about. Hot button topic, I get that.

So far this hasn't been the case, but I also understand that most people are good, and try and make the best choice that matches their morality. It's also true to say... No one checks ALL the boxes.

So I voted other.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Only this year. I never was before.

Getting rid of Trump is the only issue I’m voting on this election. I’m not even thinking about policy.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:36 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
My spouse works in the oil industry, so obviously any bans on fracking or absurd EPA regulations would be concerning to us. Also, we flip real estate occasionally, so capital gains tax rates are important to us as well.

On the flip side, we are also a same sex couple, so any attempt by the SC to overturn Obergefell vs Hodges would be a negative, but I really don't see the SC court going there, even with a Amy Coney Barrett confirmation.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:17 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
So, all blacks, Asians and latinos are conservative and against gay marriage? Well, that is news to me, and I don't really see how it relates to "one issue voter" as I truly doubt the majority of people are overly concerned about gay marriage. The economy and jobs are considered important issues, and I suspect that is where the minds of most people are. For some abortion is a single issue, but I don't believe it is for more than a small percentage. Generally is it a collective thing like with the Dems, it isn't just their stance on abortion, but that of illegal immigration and 2nd Amendment rights plus the candidate seeming to have a sexual preference for little girls which I find repulsive, which is far too many negatives to consider a vote in that direction.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:32 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Not usually but this year definitely.

Removing Trump is the number one legislative agenda I have.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:46 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,402,986 times
I do find it annoying that whenever you identify with a particular party, such as "I voted for XYZ", then they attribute every single view of XYZ, and XYZ's party, to you. I'm not a one issue voter but I'm probably realistically a three issue voter, and I often disagree with many of the other positions.

For example, I typically vote republican because I want low taxes, fewer handouts, and because I'm tired of the mob rule/attacks on free speech by educational institutions and the media, but I actually disagree on pollution, covid, abortion, same sex marriage, Russia/China/nationalism, and probably a bunch of other issues. There are other issues that I either slightly agree on or neither agree nor disagree.

But I just can't stand how many hours I have to work to keep my lights on, knowing that I have to give the pay from 20 hours of my 40 hours per week straight over to the government so that they can give it to people who don't work at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies