Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 03:30 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,505,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
The store owner advised not to call police, the employee wasn’t familiar with the reasons why not to, naivety.

The situation though, happens all the time. Am I supposed to give a link to my phone video? I have 2. Am I supposed to give a link to other people (I know) who have shared their stories and accounts? I’m not just assuming there are tensions and circumstances where police overreact when the suspect has been black. I live here.
The store owner wasn't there. The employee did as he was told by the supervisor. So 2/2 employees didn't know the supposed policy.

The store owner has a clear vested interest to appease the community. It is far more likely that the employees have never heard the supposed policy until they read the appeasement sentiments of the store owner after the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 03:56 AM

18,415 posts, read 7,050,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is our store policy as well dealing with shoplifting/stealing, we do not call police anymore, managers are actually not permitted to.

This is because the stores are paranoid of getting sued.

My wife works in retail and was almost fired for flagging down a police car that happened to be driving through the parking lot when she was walking from her car to the store and got a phone call from an employee in the store to warn her not to come in because they were being robbed by a flash mob of shoplifters loading stuff into duffel bags.

Seriously........it's insane.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:25 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,940,048 times
Quote:
Well, that is your opinion...many do not see it this way.

Plus, if you notice in the article, the store owners say this kid would not have called police, had he known of the 'tension' between these two groups, why do you think they would say that?
Because they're desperately trying to keep their store from being vandalized and burned to the ground.

So is "tension between these two groups" a dog whistle for "I get to commit crimes with no consequences"? Race should have NOTHING to do with whether you call a cop or not.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:27 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,940,048 times
Quote:
This is our store policy as well dealing with shoplifting/stealing, we do not call police anymore, managers are actually not permitted to.
Let me guess - they've had a huge increase in shoplifting/stealing as a result?

Old 10-14-2020, 06:13 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,049,003 times
Unsurprising, as the complete story sees the light more and more. Still, he makes a handy martyr to a political cause. Same as gentle, Big Mike Brown. Simply convenient and useful images, for political gains.

Nothing but pawns, dead pawns at that.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:24 AM

30,032 posts, read 11,623,237 times
Quote:
and just wait until you hear WHY the 18 yr old felt the need to call 911 on Floyd!!!

https://slate.com/human-interest/202...=pocket-newtab

The article is basically asking how much blame the store should bear for what happened.

Of course its common knowledge that Floyd was trying to pass a fake bill and got caught. That is how this started. How about blame Floyd for being high on drugs and passing phony bills?

Old 10-15-2020, 07:23 AM

21,428 posts, read 10,512,328 times
Quote:
Are you serious?

Old 10-15-2020, 08:14 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Let me guess - they've had a huge increase in shoplifting/stealing as a result?
No, but its not like we took out an ad in the paper letting the public know our new policy, (its also why Im not naming the company on here).

Around the time they changed this policy, they did a study on what shoplifting was costing them in terms of loss...turns out, it was insignificant, the reason for this is due to vendor contracts, some cover 'shrink' or a percentage of it, some cover it all, it varies greatly from product to product.example, we dont loose a dime if a pack of cigarettes are stolen, the tobacco companies cover it 100%, but then again, they are not loosing much due to the extremely high markup either.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
This is because the stores are paranoid of getting sued.

My wife works in retail and was almost fired for flagging down a police car that happened to be driving through the parking lot when she was walking from her car to the store and got a phone call from an employee in the store to warn her not to come in because they were being robbed by a flash mob of shoplifters loading stuff into duffel bags.

Seriously........it's insane.
Oh yes, you are right!

I was in a Kroger a couple years ago and 2 kids went over to the pharmacy and jumped the counter, they started loading stuff into bags, the employees were just stunned, they didnt know what to do, the kids didnt say anything from what I saw, they were done in about 3 minutes and ran for the door, the pharmacist yells out that he is calling police, one of them just laughed and told him to go ahead and call.

That same thing happened at a Walgreens more recently, its always younger kids (teens or early 20s), with that one, the kid had a gun and warned employees not to stop him. This one was on the news, the incident at Kroger was not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies