Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 06:39 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Plaintiff's argument is absurd and it is unlikely that the court is going to rescind the entirety of the ACA over it. You never know though. In any case, with the Dems in charge of everything, it will take all of a one sentence bill to fix temporarily until improvements and adjustments can be made on a broader basis.
Hearing going on today, lost in all the election drama. GOP asking the courts to do something they couldn’t, get rid of the ACA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 07:32 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
ACA is not going away based on the oral arguments.

Some of the right leaning justices expressed possible support for removing the individual mandate but most seemed disinclined to kill the whole law or the protections for pre-existing conditions.

Very good news.

A final swing and a miss from the right to kill the law after 10 years.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:36 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

Some of the right leaning justices expressed possible support for removing the individual mandate but most seemed disinclined to kill the whole law or the protections for pre-existing conditions.

Very good news.

I started a thread on this that go no attention. Based on the oral arguments thus far axing Obamacare or severely neutering it seems very unlikely.

I find it hysterical that the GOP hasn't been able to get this done. They had both chambers with Trump in charge and did nothing. Then the most conservative SCOTUS we've had in a long time basically crapped all over Trump's objection.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:37 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
My hope, humble and naive as it may be, is that whene the Supreme Court looks at it and makes a determination based on the Constitution regardeing whether it is a legitmiate law or not. I hope the deicsions is not based on partisamship andthat the written decision of Court renews my hope that the Court can transcend the partisanship that has has pvershadowed the nomnations recently. I am an attorney myself and as such took an oath to uphold those principles and still naively hold on to them. If the Court determines the ACA is constitutional, write your congresspeaople becuase it is a legislative issue. If the Court detrminess it is not a constitiutional law, then the ACA Will ne undone and you don't have to worry about it. But if we coule all just let the Court do what it's supposed to do, we'd be beter offf.

You're a lawyer and you write like that? Hmm....

Old 11-10-2020, 07:50 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:

Very good news.

Always bad to assume based on questions by justices during oral arguments.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:53 PM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
The issue is that, like a bunch of other garbage the government forces you to fund, you are being forced to pay for it whether you like it or not. It's called tyranny.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:55 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
I'm agnostic on the severability issue, but the individual mandate needs to be torpedoed once and for all. That was possibly one of the worst rulings in the last half-century.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Always bad to assume based on questions by justices during oral arguments.
Normally I agree but they were pretty explicit at this hearing in stating their opinions, usually it's harder to get a read just from the oral arguments.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I'm agnostic on the severability issue, but the individual mandate needs to be torpedoed once and for all. That was possibly one of the worst rulings in the last half-century.
Which is only a token victory since the penalty is now $0 anyway.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:00 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Which is only a token victory since the penalty is now $0 anyway.
For now. But the legal basis still exists to raise it to however much the politicians want to raise it unless it's nuked back into the hellfire in which it belongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies