Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 07:51 AM

2,400 posts, read 754,961 times

Advertisements

That is a shady term.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:53 AM

2,400 posts, read 754,961 times
IMO 2 years of either community college or vocational school should be required. If they wash out of those they should have to do military service. Would clean up the streets and maybe save a few souls.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:00 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Years ago, many states had free tuition to state supported schools.

Money to subsidize the businesses that use illegals had to be in the budget.

When the hospitals were instructed to treat anybody who walked into the emergency room, money and to come from somewhere. Schools are duty bound to teach anybody who walks in the door, even if it means hiring teachers who speak their language.

The taxpayer decided they would rather have cheap goods. Free tuition is a thing of the past. But our restaurants, meat packers and construction trade can have all the illegals they want. We all pay for it. Just depends on which pocket the money comes from

Old 10-13-2020, 08:01 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Fishing for votes among the Bernie crowd.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:02 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The issue is that he doesn’t explain it, though. And why is he making a distinction between debtless and free?

As far as debtless, the only way I would support such a concept is to go the co-op route: alternate job semesters with class semesters, and have the job earnings applied to tuition. It may take five or six years to get through this way, but students could graduate debtless.

However, Biden doesn’t say this. He just says “debtless” without explanation. Thus, I tend to go along with your interpretation: he means working people, including those with high school degrees only, will have to pay for other people to go to college.
I will go ahead and explain the distinction for Joe. Free means no one in the student’s family pays for it. Debtless means someone in the family, likely the parents, will be paying the amount the government decides they can pay and instead of making up the difference with student loans the government will pay for it. Basically student loans will completely go away.

Here is but one issue with this, based on out experiences when my kids were accepted at supposedly “debt free” Ivy League schools that do not give merit scholarships. If a family makes under X dollars per year, at that time $40,000 it was free. If you made over the $40,000 they told you how much you should come up with. Our share was figured out to $7,000 more than I made in a year, and almost 1/3 of our combined pre-tax income. They provided no student loan assistance and insisted the student didn’t need them. We had other children and other minor family members still at home who needed to be taken care of, this was not remotely possible so they went to places less prestigious with merit scholarships instead. Essentially, “debt free” meant only the poor and those who had $50,000+ could afford attend. I expect this to turn out no differently. The difference will be now it will include all schools, not just the hoity-toity ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies