Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 07:26 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
There were far better ways to express that but clearly being sensitive to others was not her priority.
What was a better way to express it, marches, burning draft records, protest songs? That had all been done, with no effect.

The act of going to Hanoi and taking pictures with people in a small country who were subjected to more aerial bombardment than all the bombs dropped in WWII, had instant world wide notoriety. The idea of a beautiful American actress, a rich child of a legendary actor father, doing this was so striking, that people are still talking about it almost 50 years later. What better way was there for her to express her opposition to the war?

Last edited by bobspez; 12-05-2021 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
She caused the soldiers,like me, to be cursed, spit on, called baby killers and be harassed. We all knew the war was a mistake. If she wanted to do something, she should have gone after our leaders, not blame us. We had only two choices, go over or go to prison. We remember. That is why most Vietnam vets hate her guts.
I knew many returning vets in California and in NYC. There were a few protestors at airports where vets returned that may have engaged in those activities at the airport. But the vast majority of the public, even war protestors, were sympathetic to returning vets, because they were their friends and relatives. They grew their hair, had mustaches and beards, wore army field jackets, and smoked pot just like the rest of us their age, trying to get a job, meet girls, party. I never knew a single vet that got spit on, but as a student in SF California in 1970, an old timer came up to me on the street, with my striped jeans and long hair and textbooks under my arm and spit right in my face and walked on. I didn't blame anyone. Just figured he was nuts.

Old 12-05-2021, 07:56 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I knew many returning vets in California and in NYC. There were a few protestors at airports where vets returned that may have engaged in those activities at the airport. But the vast majority of the public, even war protestors, were sympathetic to returning vets, because they were their friends and relatives. They grew their hair, had mustaches and beards, wore army field jackets, and smoked pot just like the rest of us their age, trying to get a job, meet girls, party. I never knew a single vet that got spit on, but as a student in SF California in 1970, an old timer came up to me on the street, with my striped jeans and long hair and textbooks under my arm and spit right in my face and walked on. I didn't blame anyone. Just figured he was nuts.
You would only understand if you served, being over there and realizing that she was protesting AGAINST American soldiers who were fighting for their lives.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You would only understand if you served, being over there and realizing that she was protesting AGAINST American soldiers who were fighting for their lives.
Maybe so. But while LBJ and Nixon and the congress were giving soldiers lip service they were using them for canon fodder. So who did the soldiers the most harm? Those who created and perpetuated and lied about the progress of the war, or those who protested against it?

Old 12-05-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Maybe so. But while LBJ and Nixon and the congress were giving soldiers lip service they were using them for canon fodder. So who did the soldiers the most harm? Those who created and perpetuated and lied about the progress of the war, or those who protested against it?
Fonda, she ruined the morale and that led to deaths.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:27 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I think most alert people knew Trump's character four years earlier, and his presidency continued to confirm his contempt for facts and indifference to the well-being of ordinary Americans.

But it may be that covid helped the election of Biden.
Biden hasn’t done squat for the well-being f ordinary Americans nor covid except blackmail Americans quote”get the shot or be fired”. All his words and actions were token, fauchi wouldn’t even answer the question of why the illegals aren’t vetted or allowed to come in without being vaccinated.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:29 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
My sisters boyfriend was harassed, called a baby killer and others who I knew had that happened to them, it happened.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:34 PM

24,629 posts, read 9,454,674 times
The pandemic certainly showed us how quickly governments wants to go to martial law and “papers please,” but it certainly isn’t a gift.

Humanity could’ve avoided it, but we do a lot of stupid crap and now here it is.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:47 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
She is scum. Always has been, always will be.

`
One day there'll be a statue of her in Washington as one of America's true heroine's, for trying to stop the Vietnam War!

Old 12-05-2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One day there'll be a statue of her in Washington as one of America's true heroine's, for trying to stop the Vietnam War!
She was a traitor. All she did was make it worse for those of us who served. You don't know, you did not serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies