Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 11:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times

Advertisements

The thing that has to happen for the sanity we enjoyed in the past to come back, is for Americans to trust their institutions again. Whether it’s the CDC, intelligence agencies, judges, or yes, even the news — once the trust in those is gone, people can (and will) believe anything put out there for them. This is how free societies fail; autocracies do not have this problem because the citizens are FORCED to listen to their institutions, they have no choice. In America that trust must be earned.

At least with Biden you’ll have a leader that won’t actively undermine those institutions. But don’t expect the other side to just start trusting them again. I don’t know how long it will take, and it probably will never be as it was pre-Trump. But maybe a little closer to sanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 11:18 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The thing that has to happen for the sanity we enjoyed in the past to come back, is for Americans to trust their institutions again. Whether it’s the CDC, intelligence agencies, judges, or yes, even the news — once the trust in those is gone, people can (and will) believe anything put out there for them. This is how free societies fail; autocracies do not have this problem because the citizens are FORCED to listen to their institutions, they have no choice. In America that trust must be earned.

At least with Biden you’ll have a leader that won’t actively undermine those institutions. But don’t expect the other side to just start trusting them again, I don’t know how long it will take, and it probably will never be as it was pre-Trump. But maybe a little closer to sanity.
Leader? He is the village idiot.

Let's see should we trust the CDC after how dismally they performed preparing for and during the pandemic? Billions a year I expect a lot better than what we got. Intelligence communities. Same guys who said that Benghazi was caused by a YouTube video? Those guys? We should all question activist judges. The news. LOL the media is as biased as the day is long. The days of Walter Cronkite are past. I Have a feeling that you have nothing but faith in Fox News. LOL

I dont trust the 2 major parties. I live abroad and so I get a different perspective from the News in the USA. No body in the world thinks that our CIA are the good guys or trustworthy. They also don't think much of CNN or MSNBC. That didn't start 3 years ago either.

Ill agree with one thing you said. Trust is earned it is also lost due to consistent questionable reporting and a blatant bias. Calling Biden a leader is the most inaccurate part of your post. He is however a hair sniffing pervert.

Last edited by boneyard1962; 10-17-2020 at 11:33 PM..

Old 10-18-2020, 12:58 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If Biden wins (unlikely), there will be no "chaos", as conservatives are civilized.

If Trump loses, and if the past predicts the future, there will be militias bringing their big guns intimidate people and stop traffic, trying to kidnap officials, marching into statehouses to stop business, threatening the lives of anyone they don't like. And there will be Trump nuts shooting up churches, schools, and Walmarts, not to mention blowing up Federal buildings. The survivalists will be spending their savings laying in supplies, and the gun stores will be sold out.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:32 AM

6,105 posts, read 3,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
As terrible as Trump has been for America, our county has been through much, much worse

Regardless of who wins, you might have a few of the fringe crazies march in the streets and whine.. but I doubt anything comes of it

If Frump loses, nobody cares if he refuses to leave office. Secret Service will remove him on January 21st
So you actually believe that the Secret Service, which is led by Trump appointee James Murray, which falls under the Department of Homeland Security, which is led by Trump appointee Chad Wolf, will decide to remove Trump by force in the midst of a contested election?

Why would you think that?

Old 10-18-2020, 04:04 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
So basically, we now have a situation where there are members of each party that think that if the other guy wins it will be The End Of America As We Know It - and that their side's loss can only happen through some kind of unfair shenanigans by the corrupt enemies on the other side.

It honestly seems like no matter what happens there will be chaos.

How does America ever get back to anything approaching normal again? I really don't know how we get out of this. People really are deeply entrenched in their separate realities, and in each those realties the country will be destroyed by the winner.

I know that there are plenty of folks in the middle that are nowhere near that extreme but it really is hard to tell how big that middle is anymore.

What do you guys think we are in for? And do you ever think sanity will return?
This all has to do with Psychology. Negative influences and notions, improper teaching, mental illness, neglect and not addressing issues is at the root of negative occurrences. One's reactions and motivations stem from a person's upbringing, what they are exposed to, how they have been raised to think, and in some, leading to violent behavior, criminal activity, chaos.

It is not as if anything would occur outwardly by Democrats...they would just be very unhappy or angry, especially if there was any trickery involved. There may may be protesting, but they are not the ones who run thru streets with torches, attacking or threatening other's lives. They are not the one's being hateful. What most citizens are wanting is a return to normalcy and civility, and an ultimate betterment for all. The country needs an appropriate leader.

Though there was protesting right after the 2016 election, it was not violent as were later events incited by this president. (I don't even recall what the fight was about then...Conservatives got what they wanted for a leader. He just stirred things up).

We NEVER used to have to experience this sort of chaos with previous elections or presidents. Citizens would cope with whomever ended up being president, not being so divisive. There was no trouble related to voting. But this time, this guy stirred up a negative element that was lying under the surface and became a shock upon the country. It has continued to be a negative atmosphere instilled by a guy who...is mentally unstable and proven incapable of properly running the country.

Time to see this again:

https://youtu.be/qEPZhGJxP0o

Last edited by In2itive_1; 10-18-2020 at 04:40 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 10-18-2020, 04:05 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Leader? He is the village idiot.
Yes, Trump is indeed the village idiot. But why would you support him again? I call BS on everything in your post and demand you make the case that your lies should be believed by anyone in the America electorate.

At least with Biden you’ll have a leader that won’t actively undermine those institutions. But don’t expect the other side to just start trusting them again. I don’t know how long it will take, and it probably will never be as it was pre-Trump. But maybe a little closer to sanity.

Hindsight is 2020.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:21 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
So basically, we now have a situation where there are members of each party that think that if the other guy wins it will be The End Of America As We Know It - and that their side's loss can only happen through some kind of unfair shenanigans by the corrupt enemies on the other side.

It honestly seems like no matter what happens there will be chaos.

How does America ever get back to anything approaching normal again? I really don't know how we get out of this. People really are deeply entrenched in their separate realities, and in each those realties the country will be destroyed by the winner.

I know that there are plenty of folks in the middle that are nowhere near that extreme but it really is hard to tell how big that middle is anymore.

What do you guys think we are in for? And do you ever think sanity will return?
Why do you want things "back to normal"? Are you not tired of the thieves and liars in politics, at every level, getting away with what they have done for decades on end?

That's the problem. You're voting for more of the same, being ripped off and lied to year after year, or you vote for a draining of it all.

Biden is "the same" - and that has made this country weaker.

Trump is exposing people - and that needs to be done.

That's all this boils down to. The shrieking and massive tantrums you're seeing is because the cockroaches have been exposed to the light.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:26 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If Biden wins (unlikely), there will be no "chaos", as conservatives are civilized.

If Trump wins (likely), the dems will riot, burn and loot.

Do we see a pattern here? Dems are increasingly "going Asiatic" and cannot live by the normal rules of a civilized society, resorting to violence as a matter of course when they do not get their political desires.
Translation: Democrats are violent animals who have the mentality of a "soft pretzel" Their violence is a learned behavior by Democrats always looking away and bailing out the rioters so they may go back and keep looting and burning. What "lesson" did the Dem's teach the rioters by allowing them to remain free on bail when they need to suffer in jail and finally prison....

Old 10-18-2020, 07:33 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yes, Trump is indeed the village idiot. But why would you support him again? I call BS on everything in your post and demand you make the case that your lies should be believed by anyone in the America electorate.

Hindsight is 2020.
Biden is the village idiot and Trump is the 3rd grade drop out. I never supported Trump and never will. Where have I ever stated I was a Trump supporter? Oh I get it. I am not 100% for Biden therefore I must be for Trump.

People lost trust in those institutions because those institutions were that bad. Are you saying the CIA didn't blame Benghazi on a YouTube video? Ok, then Obama and Clinton lied. Are you saying that the world thinks our CIA are the good guys? You need to travel more.Our news went from being a trust worthy source to tabloid journalism. Sorry if the truth hurts.

You keep using the term leader. We obviously have very different views on what a leader is. WE will have a hair sniffing old pervert who mumbles like Boomhauer and can't hold a thought longer than 30 seconds. We won't have a leader, we will have a figurehead. Either you are naive or just a party groupie. It's possible to be both. It's also embarrassing.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:42 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Unless they show a serious demonstrable interest in the democratic process, find a way to exclude the impressionable, short-sighted "swing voters".

Both the Low Right and the Low Left pander to the non-thinking "values" of this group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies