Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 12:45 AM

1,536 posts, read 1,482,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The division started or restarted under Obama/Biden. The Democratic party has been causing division at least since the 1960s, but they really ramped up during and since Obama.
It really started with Bill Clinton by his opponents. They just couldn't handle Bush Sr losing to a "draft dodger". Before that there was at least respect for the office. I voted for Bush but was an adult about the result. And BTW Clinton turned out to be a decent Republican president despite his flaws.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:49 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
1- We have enemies against the country. They are sowing seeds of discord. They have strategies on how to keep the fires of discord going. A divided country will eventually fall.

2- There is profit in conflicts. There is no profit in peace. Some people stir up conflict because it pays well. Not sure how you demonetize that. BLM Inc has made a killing with all of the racial conflict.

3- More often than not liberals are guilty of this - they talk down people that do not agree with them and disrespect them.

4- Much of how we entertain ourselves is about conflict with violent movies and TV shows and video games.

Simple answers for starters...

Love others
Treat others like you want to be treated
Forgive others

Old 10-18-2020, 12:53 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
It really started with Bill Clinton by his opponents. They just couldn't handle Bush Sr losing to a "draft dodger". Before that there was at least respect for the office. I voted for Bush but was an adult about the result. And BTW Clinton turned out to be a decent Republican president despite his flaws.
Ronald Reagan's opponents were the same way. You could go back to Nixon and his opponents and so on. Poltitics has always been somewhat divisive. I'm talking about the real divisiveness, identity politics and division based on immutable characteristics like race, critical race theory, attacking the police, individuals and the voters, the legitimacy of the country itself etc. That, started or was made common practice under Obama.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:00 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
I don’t think anything can be done, we are headed for some very troubling times and it’s inevitable at this point.

It all started when the left decided that the right was an existential threat and they didn’t want to share power anymore. It was too dangerous: climate, human rights, etc. So the left ramped up their attacks and they went scorched earth to try and crush the right.

But so far, all this has done is anger the right and cause them to believe that the left is also an existential threat because they want to fundamentally change America.

So now, we have both sides who consider the other as their true enemy.

Splitting into two countries is impossible, so we have no choice but to try to live with each other. Unfortunately, this conflict is going to keep escalating until one side just pushes the Constitution aside and tries to seize power by force.

I’m not sure which side will attempt that first, nor do I know if it will be successful. All I know is that we are in for one hell of ride.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:24 AM

37,124 posts, read 42,189,292 times
It's all in the hands of the media unfortunately. They are nothing but propaganda machines and as long as they exist they decide which 'reality' people live in by reporting things they way they want them to seem.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:58 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
The media sets the narrative. If they don’t change, nothing else will.

Schools are a huge problem, and they should also be worked on, but with a corrupt media seeking to divide us for profit and ideology, there’s no chance for unity.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:15 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Stop discussing politics and religion, stop putting up political signs, bumper stickers on your vehicles and stop judging your neighbor based on what you “think” their political or religious beliefs are. I am very Left of center and have lived in two red states in which the vast majority of my neighbors are conservative. We get along great because I never discuss politics or religion. If the conversation goes there, I redirect it. No doubt my neighbors suspect my views differ from theirs but, since it is never stated, we live in harmony with one another. Not that difficult - my parent’s generation didn’t engage in these topics and it worked for them.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:26 AM

11,770 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Unbelievable you would say this. I have never seen such division in our country which our president promotes. And please educate yourself to learn about white supremacy. Good grief.
Natalie's comment is exactly why this problem will not be resolved. Each side blames the other - few are willing to even stop and consider what the opposition is saying. I've seen this division coming for years since Obama was President but the Democrats didn't open their eyes until Trump took office so now it's all his fault.

Even a Kumbaya fair will not work because people can not contain themselves to appreciate the good things and would rather wallow and complain about the bad. And each side would take credit for the wonderful idea ending with the Kumbaya fair being a Rock em Sock em Robot ring.

People first have to start taking responsibility. Call out those on your side if you feel what they are doing is wrong. Dems and Republicans alike should call out any bad behavior as in these times - that 1 incident is taking by the opposite side and used as a blanket incident.

People also have got to man up and not be afraid to admit the foibles of their party line politicians - and few do. I see more Republicans stating their problems with Trump while still deeming him the better candidate and I see none on the left even talking about Biden's faults. You don't do yourself any justice if you can't admit no one is perfect.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:28 AM

33,553 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Get rid of identity politics that is constantly used by the democrats to divide us against one another and calling everyone a racist to start.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:05 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
How to fix the divide in this country? We have to look at how we got here. I put much of the blame for this division on both democrats and Republicans who side lined the average American in favor of profits, sending jobs overseas and putting huge emphasis on corporations back in the lesser extent 70s, but most notably 80s and 90s. We saw plenty of invest and reinvest in urban areas and major expansion in ACADEMIA. Once jobs left middle America, it made plenty of people very bitter regardless of race. Academia putting an emphasis on women, and race which fester into work place.

Now back to the question. What caused the division? I put blame on institutions like the media, academia, journalism who pushed certain identity issues hard. The right also push identity politics too. For some reason why. White people in America like to push identity down peoples throats such as white liberals and can fester into other groups like black thought followers. Another cause of the division is social media, the iPhone which can narrate certain events clip and past morph a one sides story. Twitter youtube and Facebook are a one sided echo-chamber for the left in America.

Last white supremacy is a phantom. When Charlottesville happened, only 600 white supremacist was able to be mustered. Lol. It was small and poses no real threat compared to millions who marched the kkk 100 years ago. The big problem for the left is not racist whites, but people of color who support such ideas like Candace Owen's, leader of the proud boys a afro latino, and Joey Gibson of patriot prayer. All of such people are black and not white. For the left if they want to defeat white supremacy, you can not defeat by only defeating and going agaisnt whites. Many of these intersectionals BLM antifa and sjws are dumb yet everyone of such people have a college degree or higher. Also the left with the control of media, academia, social media, tech, education and so forth control the way we think and pushed race, sex and gender down throats of millions as. It is truth like the Bible.

Last. Russia and China pushes America to be divided. I'm sure Russia and China are happy to Waht happened to America with George Floyd and pushed more false narratives that pushed more people to believe racsim is real or any other ism.

How can we end the division? Possibly dialog with one another and see what we have in common as Americans, focus on our commanlities instead of what makes us different. Set up equity for black Americans who are economically weak to support themselves. Yes law enforcement reform is needed, but law enforcement must not be abolished. As for reparations? Blacks must sit at the table and push an agenda for themselves instead of asking whites. Have immigration reform and do not let jobs hire too many foreign people which slows down blacks and other American minorities from being hired. You have silicon Valley crying for blacks to be hired, yet hire h1b visa employees from South and East Asia.

What else I don't know. This is deep stuff folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies