Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 05:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Portland is still having riots but you guys need to take in mind we live in America, not The Philippines or Japan. Our cities are absolutely massive, physically. The biggest in the world next to Australian cities on a population/area basis. I'm in the center of Austin maybe one street for roughly a mile has the vandalism/graffiti and it's been cleaned up a bit, but the rest of the city looks the same as how it looked last year, except more development is going up. Now Austin wasn't the protesting center, but even in Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland. The CHAZ/CHOP region encompassed 5 and a half blocks of a neighborhood. From a human-scale that's massive but from a city-scale in your car you pass 5 blocks in 30 seconds.

Their was certainly rioting, but Humans aren't natural disasters, theirs's only so much individuals can destroy. How many people participated in the riots.. Maybe 100,000 people? I'm also pretty sure I'm high-balling that estimate as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 05:23 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
These rioters and protesters are suddenly mute.

Since Biden's team discovered the protests and violence were hurting their election chances badly in focus groups, the rioters and protestors stopped.

This ain't how it works: if you are angry about an issue, you protest. Unless of course, one is paid, and I think that leads to many questions about these protestors.

In my opinion, it was all staged, they were mostly all paid, and when Biden's team discovered it was hurting them, Soros and Co. pulled the plug on the money train. Therefore rioting and protesting halted, until the election is over.

Such a well-crafted plan to create division by Democrats and the left, that backfired.

What do you all think ?
I was wondering the same thing over the weekend. The dogs were called off -- as you said - as soon as the scum that were encouraging them in the first place realized their poll numbers were being hurt.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:27 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,960 times
They ran out of statues and unlooted and burned targets.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:33 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,139 times
The media is keeping the anarchy on the down low. They have another sight in their target; to influence the election.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:48 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,952,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
No, it was not downplayed. Photos were actually doctored by Fox to make it look worse than it was. If only we had a president who didn't incite more anger and violence when his citizens got upset. Yes, people who rioted instead of protested should be arrested, but the biggest problem was the federal response had a goal of positioning Trump as 'hard on these leftist people'. Trump's goal was never to solve the problem, he saw it as an opportunity for his campaign. If he had actually wanted violence to stop, he'd have not said what he did, which simply incited more violence.
Anyone who cared about what was going on in the name of BLM had any number of livestream options to choose from every night for the last 4 months to see the violence, vandalism, looting and arson unfold live.

This isn't about politics and media, it is social unrest in cities across the country witnessed by an international audience. It has slowed down in the last couple of weeks. Perhaps they got tired of playing chicken with rubber bullets and arrests.

This is one livestream option: https://www.twitch.tv/livenowmedia. If something is going on, someone is live-streaming.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:59 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,750,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
Not being reported because its harming the DUMBOCRATS chances of winning
Right! The Democrats told them to stop. They realized all this mayhem and destruction did not work. America LOVES Trump!

But you can expect on Election Day the BLM and the Antifa frightening the elderly and anyone else out there. Stay home.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:25 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You might want to ask those who lost their homes, businesses, and property how overblown it was.

For some folks, nothing like this matters unless it negatively affects them personally. Perhaps if you home were burned down or your employment shut down, you'd feel a bit differently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Four shootings and a stabbing in Portland OR in the last 24 hours.

Are they part of a riot or riots? I don't know, cant find any mention of riots or "peaceful protests".

Group Blocks Traffic, Vandalizes Property, and Lights Fires Outside Justice Center; Arrests Made - 10/16/20

https://www.flashalert.net/news.html?id=3056
Don't live or do business in that small area of Portland.

Wish it was that easy to avoid the Trump virus.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:44 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,952,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Don't live or do business in that small area of Portland.

Wish it was that easy to avoid the Trump virus.
Avoid museums, statues, university, restaurants and other areas where protesters interfere with people.

"Amid violent protests Sunday night in downtown Portland, several prominent statues were toppled, windows at Portland State University were smashed and police said gunshots were fired into an empty restaurant.

But the vandalism that seemed to gather the most ire from city and state officials occurred at the Oregon Historical Society, a bastion of diverse artifacts and exhibits on the 1200 block of Southwest Park Avenue.

Preliminary estimates to repair the damage were about $25,000, Tymchuk told The Oregonian/OregonLive, though costs could end up higher."
https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...ndeterred.html

Old 10-18-2020, 06:49 PM

25,710 posts, read 18,784,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Chris - I asked you before and must have missed it. Out of curiosity, how much time have you personally spent in major cities this year, and how many protests have you attended in person?
I haven't set foot in what you would consider a big city for at least ten years. No reason to do so. But through the modern miracle of video and photography, one needn't be an eyewitness to witness it. And I would not attend a riot--I have a little bit more class than that.

If you don't think a neighborhood that looks like Dresden after carpet bombing is a "big deal" (especially when it happens on US soil), then I really don't know what you would find to be worthy of your attention. Was 9-11 a big deal for you, or small potatoes? After all it was only two buildings. How many more buildings in how many more cities do we have?

Old 10-18-2020, 07:01 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I haven't set foot in what you would consider a big city for at least ten years. No reason to do so. But through the modern miracle of video and photography, one needn't be an eyewitness to witness it. And I would not attend a riot--I have a little bit more class than that.

If you don't think a neighborhood that looks like Dresden after carpet bombing is a "big deal" (especially when it happens on US soil), then I really don't know what you would find to be worthy of your attention. Was 9-11 a big deal for you, or small potatoes? After all it was only two buildings. How many more buildings in how many more cities do we have?
I didn't ask if you've attended a riot, I've asked if you've attended a protest. But thank you for answering. So where are you getting your information on what's going on? It seems you haven't been around any of this in person, haven't talked to anyone who feels different than yourself, and are 100% relying on media. I live in a major city, and what you describe does not match reality. I suggest actually visiting a city, attending a few protests, and talking to the people there. I guarantee you will be surprised. You're being manipulated by the media. Don't let them control you like that.

And what on earth are you talking about with 9-11? Stay on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies