Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 10:18 PM

340 posts, read 124,053 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/15/polit...m_source=twCNN

At a North Carolina rally Trump made numerous false and misleading claims about infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci.
-Trump claimed that Fauci said the virus was not a threat. This is misleading, because Fauci along with other experts said that it should have been taking seriously and could easily change.
-Trump claimed that Fauci was against wearing a mask. Once again, Fauci never told the American people directly not to wear a mask, but he wanted to preserve it for healthcare workers first. You don't wear a mask to protect you, it is worn to protect others.
-Trump claimed that Fauci was a Democrat. Fauci was appointed by President Reagan, and worked under both GOP and Dem administrations. His voter registration actually shows he is an Independent.
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/s...16154594291712

Old 10-16-2020, 06:37 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm King View Post

At a North Carolina rally Trump made numerous false and misleading claims about infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci.
-Trump claimed that Fauci said the virus was not a threat. This is misleading, because Fauci along with other experts said that it should have been taking seriously and could easily change.
-Trump claimed that Fauci was against wearing a mask. Once again, Fauci never told the American people directly not to wear a mask, but he wanted to preserve it for healthcare workers first. You don't wear a mask to protect you, it is worn to protect others.
-Trump claimed that Fauci was a Democrat. Fauci was appointed by President Reagan, and worked under both GOP and Dem administrations. His voter registration actually shows he is an Independent.
The first two are true. He said we should be more concerned about the flu. He said to not wear masks, whatever his reason was.

I’m not sure why Fauci, an actual scientist who should have known better, gets a free pass on decimating false information but Trump, a person who no one would claim is a scientist, is held responsible for believing Fauci and basing his response on his advice. Nor, can I for the life of me, understand why Fauci is excused when he says he “misled” people because he wanted to prevent society going into a panic and stop the hoarding but Trump is eviscerated for listening to him and doing the same thing.

Fauci’s political leanings are only about promoting himself. I personally think he enjoyed his time in front of the cameras a little too much.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:59 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
What Fauci said early on in the pandemic is not what he is saying now as more information comes in about this virus. I do think he was wrong not promoting mask use early on, but with the supply chain being interrupted and we not producing PPE here in our country, not creating a need for resources that will be desperately needed by the medical community is understandable. It's more than just what he said, it's why he said it.

Coming from a medical background I knew what he was saying was false, but I also understand that there was going to be a critical shortage and that the medical community should have first priority. I never anticipated that 9 months into this pandemic that there would still be a shortage of N95 masks. That's outrageous.

Trump lies, cheats, and steals. He has no bar that is too low. We all know this this. Him using Fauci and trying to prostitute him to his desperate win agenda? No surprise there.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:05 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,216,976 times
Trump is attacking Fauci using Fauci's own words and actions. Next.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:16 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,168,005 times
fauci seems to be into social engineering we can never again go ball games or to concerts or to movies now we can't have thanksgiving dinners with family i hope when trump wins again he get rid of this jerk or force him to retire would be better!

Old 10-16-2020, 11:30 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
What Fauci said early on in the pandemic is not what he is saying now as more information comes in about this virus. I do think he was wrong not promoting mask use early on, but with the supply chain being interrupted and we not producing PPE here in our country, not creating a need for resources that will be desperately needed by the medical community is understandable. It's more than just what he said, it's why he said it.

Coming from a medical background I knew what he was saying was false, but I also understand that there was going to be a critical shortage and that the medical community should have first priority. I never anticipated that 9 months into this pandemic that there would still be a shortage of N95 masks. That's outrageous.

Trump lies, cheats, and steals. He has no bar that is too low. We all know this this. Him using Fauci and trying to prostitute him to his desperate win agenda? No surprise there.

What goes for other Coronaviruses goes for Covid-19 as well.

Yes, it's a novel virus but the way it's transmitted isn't THAT different than a cold, the flu or other airborne viruses.

So if masks are effective or ineffective against one type of airborne virus, they're likely to be effective or ineffective for others as well, especially with the half assed masks that people are wearing and the half assed way they're using them.

I do agree that the public should have access to N95 masks, but there are reasons behind why theres not enough of them.

N95 masks require specific materials, equipment, labor and training to produce. And that requires huge investments on the part of potential manufacturers

And even if Trump had used the defense production act to try to force companies to make N95 masks, that doesn't mean that they could actually begin doing so immediately or that consumers wouldn't just buy cheaper masks anyways.... probably from China.

Then, all these companies that were forced to make these huge investments would be left holding the bag with useless equipment, materials and employees that they no longer need when this is over.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:24 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm King View Post

OP: You are incorrect and for the record, I am a Biden supporter.

Fauci said the virus was no big deal, that it was under control AND THAT MASKS WEREN'T NECESSARY (I don't give a crap about his motive for saying that - it was wrong and it was a lie and he hurt people and he's smart, so he knows that and is trying to save his reputation/legacy). He must be really sweating to see how he kissed up to Trump and how he's going to go down in history.

Here's what he could have done:

He could have said: PPE's have to be restricted to medical personnel. Others should make masks out of t-shirts or scarves and everyone should wear protection when amongst others and stay six feet apart.

Instead he literally said that masks weren't necessary and that's why you have insane people fighting store clerks today.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:35 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...rry-aboutrsquo

Fauci said, “Obviously, you need to take it seriously and do the kind of things the (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and the Department of Homeland Security is doing. But this is not a major threat to the people of the United States and this is not something that the citizens of the United States right now should be worried about.”

I do not know if Fauci is a Democrat as he has not stated his political affiliation that I could find. I would say though "if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it is probably a duck" in this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6pEcgDmEUk

Old 10-16-2020, 04:40 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Fauci’s political leanings are only about promoting himself. I personally think he enjoyed his time in front of the cameras a little too much.
I refer to him as a career bureaucrat who also has a medical degree.

He's been in there for decades, shaping policy despite never having received a single vote, instead of practicing medicine full time, as an actual medical doctor would be doing.

His interests are not the same as ours. There could be overlap, and I'm not even asserting he's specifically being nefarious in any way, but he is who he is, and that can't be ignored - especially in a time of relative crisis.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:47 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Coming from a medical background I knew what he was saying was false
NOT coming from a medical background, I also knew what he was saying was false. They were all lying, and if you didn't automatically know that simply based on the circumstances, you're a fool.

If you knew some adversary had fired nuclear missiles at the U.S. - your city - and the President or some bureaucrat was telling you everything would be fine, would you kick back and think, "Cool! I'll grab a beer!" or would you understand that they're yanking your chain to keep you calm?

Basic logic has to kick in at some point, right?

I was following this since late November. A month before the first English news piece was even written about it. I've seen SO MUCH disinformation, from all directions, it's incredible. Most of it is coming in the form of censorship from tech & media, and obvious power grabs from governments.

Everyone is trying to capitalize on this, and I'm not talking about money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies