Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 01:49 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times

Advertisements

Judging the political climate in 4 years, is tougher than predicting the weather in 4 years. However AOC has predicted the end of the world by then... so there's that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 09:38 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Judging the political climate in 4 years, is tougher than predicting the weather in 4 years. However AOC has predicted the end of the world by then... so there's that.
True. how silly of me to forget the world will end in 2030

Old 10-21-2020, 09:52 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Nikki Haley would be a reasonable choice.
Ted Cruz seems to have a likability problem that I'm not sure gets him past the primaries.
I would avoid the urge to trot out someone like Tom Cotton or Josh Hawley. Very limited appeal.
Kristi Noem: Don't know much about her, but something there seems a little too familiar, like the Sarah Palin fiasco. Maybe she's not that bad, but we really don't want any chance of that happening again.
Are there any moderate Republicans left? Charlie Baker comes to mind but he'd be almost 70. What about Larry Hogan?

Old 10-22-2020, 12:12 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Are there any moderate Republicans left? Charlie Baker comes to mind but he'd be almost 70. What about Larry Hogan?
Most of them (moderate Pubs) are either dead, have switched parties and become Dems, or gone independent

It should be noted that about half the people who voted for Reagan in 1980 are dead now just based on the actuary tables

Old 10-22-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
A 'moderate' republican is a subjective concept. Ask a liberal progressive what a moderate republican is... vs a conservative republican. Do you believe they're the same thing? Clearly a rhetorical question.

Moderation is seeking to understand, then to be understood. Foreign concept for most.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:39 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
GOP has failed to nurture young diverse candidates. What is the game plan to rebuild and reinvigorate the party?

Even if he wins this will be his last term obviously due to term limits. Unless Amy grants him da Fürher status

How will the GOP stay relevant for the next 20 years beyond the Trump meme?
1. He's not going to lose! You are assuming a fact not in evidence.

2. Biden, Sanders, Clinton, Warren. All the Democrats' serious presidential candidates have not only been old, they have been ancient--except for the boy mayor of South Bend who checked the gay box. And then you have Pelosi who is oldest of all and Schumer who is also old and white.

3. Last 6 in Republican nomination in 2016-Donald Trump, married to an immigrant. Jeb Bush, married to a Hispanic immigrant. Ben Carson-Black. Ted Cruz, mid 40s Hispanic. Marco Rubio, mid 40s Hispanic. John Kasich, crazy white guy from Ohio (Republicans version of Joe Biden).

So you are assuming a second fact that directly contradicts the evidence.

Donald Trump has already reinvigorated the party. He is rebuilding the Reagan coalition.

With the Democrats surrendering the blue collar vote and Republicans gaining favorability in the Hispanic and Black community (we'll see if it translates to votes), the Democrats have to wonder if their current path will start to make them uncompetitive.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:43 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
A 'moderate' republican is a subjective concept. Ask a liberal progressive what a moderate republican is... vs a conservative republican. Do you believe they're the same thing? Clearly a rhetorical question.

Moderation is seeking to understand, then to be understood. Foreign concept for most.
Most people who would "objectively" be moderate are independents. 40% of the population is independent. Joe Manchin is the only Democrat in the Senate I would consider moderate. Most of the rest are progressives. Few are even liberals any more.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:44 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
True.
Democrats were saying the same thing back in '12 and '16: there'll never be another Republican. And yet there was.
They do need to run someone who can communicate well and is reasonably likable after all this.
Normally, I wouldn't care about that as much but the whole country decided to go out and get collectively weird on me.
To be honest, I don't have a problem with Trump himself as much as I do the reactions to Trump from the left. It's just plain silly.

Nikki Haley would be a reasonable choice.
Ted Cruz seems to have a likability problem that I'm not sure gets him past the primaries.
I would avoid the urge to trot out someone like Tom Cotton or Josh Hawley. Very limited appeal.
Kristi Noem: Don't know much about her, but something there seems a little too familiar, like the Sarah Palin fiasco. Maybe she's not that bad, but we really don't want any chance of that happening again.
Nikki is the front runner in my mind regardless of what happens in 2020.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:46 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
As an independent, I'd like to see Haley, Rubio, or Pompeo because I trust them on China. I could live with a President Pence (I disagree with him on the uber-religious stuff, but he's definitely CIC material) if he wasn't going to roll back LGBT rights.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Most people who would "objectively" be moderate are independents. 40% of the population is independent. Joe Manchin is the only Democrat in the Senate I would consider moderate. Most of the rest are progressives. Few are even liberals any more.
How do you think liberal progressives view Joe Manchin? since he supports coal and fracking. However, to your point... I see Joe Manchin as a left of center 'moderate', but I'm a conservative.

I see moderation 'more' as an intellectual approach, not a political position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies