Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2020, 10:29 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Since when of late have the democrats been worried about making life better or easier for those in blue? No gun control by the democrats is for one purpose to discourage and make as difficult as can be for a person to own a gun, safety is just their two faced reason for it.

Think about this Biden and his party want to make millions of citizens who never did anything wrong before into instant felons if they don't turn in or pay the government to keep their semi auto firearm and there is no reason to think they would stop with semi auto firearms after the fact.
It's not about safety, it's all about political retribution. What better way is there to punish your political enemies than to criminalize their otherwise lawful possessions and activities when you have the power to do so? That's what it's all about, it's no different than Germany during the 1930's. We all know how that turned out. Yet these same people who advocate for these types of laws can't understand why they are so loathed and despised by so many?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 10:34 AM

1,711 posts, read 808,329 times
I bought my first handgun in May - S&W 9mm.

I haven't killed anyone yet but have run a couple hundred rounds through it, most hitting a defenseless paper target. It is actually kind of fun trying for the bull's eye.

I can't envision ever actually needing it to protect my home as my hood is very safe but it could happen.

Even after so short an ownership, even with my safe neighborhood, I think I'd feel pretty vulnerable if I no longer had it.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:35 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
If every law-abiding citizen were allowed to carry a gun, most still wouldn't bother (but this would depend on their surroundings).

But a criminal intending to assault, rob, or rape someone, would then be aware that, even if their victim was unarmed, and most people nearby were unarmed, someone in the crowd was probably carrying a weapon. And that he could probably expect a bullet from an unknown direction any time. And he can never know who to attack first to prevent it.

It's enough to make even a career criminal change jobs. Only a relatively few whackos would go ahead and commit their crime anyway. Presto, a significant reduction in crime, and corresponding increase in safety and freedom for ALL the law-abiding people... all without a shot being fired.

The greatest benefit from upholding the 2nd amendment, is DETERRENCE. But the gun-grabbers never offer that in their proposed "solutions", which is why they never work.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:44 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The most lethal mass shooting in the US was carried out with a 3 shot capacity hunting rifle in 1966. A Remington 700 in 6mm.

You equate "lethality" with the weapon, not the man behind it. It amazes me how the human part of the equation just gets omitted from the problem. Or did you just forget that a mechanical device requires an operator?

More ammunition fired does not equate to a greater number of hits. Actually it's quite the opposite. Shooters understand this. Nonshooters seem to have trouble there.

In the event you don't know the event I speak of look up Charles Whitman. University of TX shootings 1966. He didn't use a so called "assault rifle " Though his assault was quite effective. Notice I said HIS assault. Not "ITS".

Bringing the unassailable fact to the fore that it's the criminal and not what said criminal uses as a weapon that causes the damage. Some creep with 2 gallons of gasoline and a Zippo can do more than 2 creeps with semiautomatic firearms.

But I dont see any calls for registration and confiscation of empty milk jugs and Zippos. When firearms ban proponents recognize the human element of homicide maybe a discussion can ensue.

Till then I wont hold my breath.
Like in the Happyland fire where just a dollars worth of gasoline at the time and a match killed 87 people. Which is more than what Paddock killed with a bunch of AR15's outfitted with bump stocks, and thousands of rounds of ammo firing into a crowd of thousands.

Maybe when the government and the oligarchs that control it gives up all of their guns would I be willing to consider giving up mine. I fear the government more than the criminals which for all intents and purposes are one and the same. After all one of thee most corrupt career politicians of all time may get elected president come Nov. 3. A politician who has vowed to make criminals out of his political enemies.

Quote:
"The debate over gun control can be summed up thusly: Those of us who don't like guns in the hands of our non-costumed brethren, will vote to ensure men with guns, under the guise of the "law," will come and take the property that is rightfully yours, killing you should you resist our will sufficiently.
This is what we call "violence by-proxy" and makes the voter for violence no less culpable in the extortion and death that will ensue.

As Stefan Molyneux correctly observed; if a person claims they are non-violent and are for “gun control” they are not truly anti-gun nor are they non-violent people - because the reality is that guns and violence will be needed to disarm innocent law abiding people.

This is because those people who claim they are anti-gun and anti-violence, who claim to support “gun control,” will need the credible threat of police violence and the police’s guns to take away other people’s guns should they resist the attempt to further centralize their monopoly on violence.

So those who claim to be anti-gun and anti-violence are really very pro-gun and very pro-violence. They ultimately believe that only government officials (which are of course portrayed as reliable, honest, moral, and virtuous) should be allowed to have guns. This obviously flies in the face of reality as the 20th century has proven once and for all.

It’s important to note that those who advocate this type of centralized monopoly of violence do so as cowards, because it’s not their lives on the line, rather they advocate others using violence on their behalf in
order to force their misguided views on innocent people who wish to do nothing other than protect themselves and other innocents.

There is no such thing as "gun control," there is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political class and the forces they control which, as recent history has proven is a murderous nightmare for the peace loving, disenfranchised, and disarmed citizenry."--Ron Danielowski

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-29-2020 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-30-2020, 05:04 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
If every law-abiding citizen were allowed to carry a gun, most still wouldn't bother (but this would depend on their surroundings).

But a criminal intending to assault, rob, or rape someone, would then be aware that, even if their victim was unarmed, and most people nearby were unarmed, someone in the crowd was probably carrying a weapon. And that he could probably expect a bullet from an unknown direction any time. And he can never know who to attack first to prevent it.

It's enough to make even a career criminal change jobs. Only a relatively few whackos would go ahead and commit their crime anyway. Presto, a significant reduction in crime, and corresponding increase in safety and freedom for ALL the law-abiding people... all without a shot being fired.

The greatest benefit from upholding the 2nd amendment, is DETERRENCE. But the gun-grabbers never offer that in their proposed "solutions", which is why they never work.
"If every law-abiding citizen were allowed to carry a gun". The ARE "allowed".

It's funny to hear so many dems rave about "the law" yet then go and pass UNlawful bills.

"The RIGHT of trh PEOPLE to KEEP an BEAR ARMS shall NOT be INFRINGED"

It is my hope NOW many will start filing to have these unlawful bills overturned by the SC.

They didn't file before because they knew it was futile with so may NON-Constitutionalists on the bench.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:40 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
So it would help AFTER somebody shoots me to death?

My main reason for owning a gun, is to PREVENT those things from happening. Not to help clean up the mess afterward.
It may also encourage legal use of the forearm if the buyer knows that they had to register it and so its involvement in any crimes could be traced back to them. Please use some common sense.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
It may also encourage legal use of the forearm if the buyer knows that they had to register it and so its involvement in any crimes could be traced back to them. Please use some common sense.
Assuming, of course, if we could trust them for that purpose.....................WHICH WE DON'T.

First of all, how is registering a gun going to be able to track it back to the owner in any crimes? There is imprinting which "works" for semi automatics but is useless in revolvers. Now we could go a further step by having a bullet sample on file for the grooves of the barrel but that changes within a few hundred firings of the gun; it is not consistent for the life of the gun. It works for classical cases of where the man shoots the lad and then doesn't ever shoot that gun again until the law comes around, but someone like me, those readings would be useless in a month.......if not 4 hours.

I will hand it to you for one thing in that in being honest for how much the law knows. We had a psychological exercise, for a beginning psychology course, of: you want to do in someone. Do you shoot them from a distance, knock them over the back of the head, or wrap your hands around their throat and strangle them?

Most people would probably shoot them from a distance or knock them over the back of the head because most people don't have the makings to be able to look someone in the eyes as they kill them......but what about me?

Well, I'm a documented professional shooter, so if they are dead by a sniper round and I am on the list of suspects, just by the paperwork trail, the law would be knocking on my door to ask me questions.

If they are found dead knocked over the head or strangled? Well, I'm a documented HtH expert so the same paperwork trail applies. Further, with what I know about trace evidence......better just to learn to live with them.

Now, this all reminds me of what it is like to work in the intelligence community. Long ago, when I told another woman in my bellydance troupe, an immigrant from a Warsaw Pact country, that I had to report knowing her to NIS, she was shocked, she thought she left that kind of world back in Eastern Europe.

Most people are shocked by that kind of looking over shoulder of one by another but in the intelligence world, one just accepts it.

The thing is, however, 3 fold: A: MOST people are not in the intelligence world. B: This is the United States of America, not a, then, Warsaw Pact country. C: Doesn't it bug you of living in a country where you are assumed to be a criminal first and the government must take measures to keep you on the straight and narrow?

Old 10-30-2020, 07:40 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Criminals dont buy guns at Cabelas. Speaking of common sense. They dont fill out paperwork and submit to the BC that goes with it.

Criminals dont follow laws. Whoda thunk! This has to be one of the plumb silliest posts I've seen in a spell. :Seriously!?

Old 10-30-2020, 07:43 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
OF COURSE Biden is going to implement extreme gun control or work to outright ban them. The dude is doing to say what he has to say to get in office and do what he has to do to please his overlords.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:13 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Criminals dont buy guns at Cabelas. Speaking of common sense. They dont fill out paperwork and submit to the BC that goes with it.

Criminals dont follow laws. Whoda thunk! This has to be one of the plumb silliest posts I've seen in a spell. :Seriously!?
Contrary to popular belief, not all firearms used in crimes were stolen or purchased on the black market. If you don’t believe me go talk to anyone in law enforcement. I think this notion that because some people won’t comply with a law that the law shouldn’t be enacted is absurd. That is an anarchist’s argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies