Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 12:28 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times

Advertisements

The $8 Billion penalty is missing the point here. First of all, Purdue is going through banckruptcy. Under this agreement, the company will be dissolved at the end of this process. Its current assets are currently estimated to be about $5 Billion, so the $8 Billion settlement amount is more symbolic than anything else.

Also, the bankruptcy court will need to approve this settlement agreement, which I predict they will not do, in part for the reasons mentioned above, and also because there are a number of other stakeholders in Purdue who also have legitimate claims on the company's remaining assets, which the bankruptcy court will take into account.

Quote:
OxyContin maker Purdue to settle with Justice Department for more than $8B for role in opioid crisis

The Justice Department announced on Wednesday a global settlement of civil and criminal investigations into Purdue Pharma's aggressive marketing of opioid medications, including OxyContin.

Federal officials have long maintained Purdue's actions helped fuel a prescription opioid epidemic that has killed more than 232,000 Americans, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
But the deal unveiled Wednesday morning, which includes three felony guilty pleas, won't result in company officials or members of the Sackler family, who own Purdue Pharma, serving prison time.

However, Justice Department officials said this deal doesn't preclude future criminal prosecutions of individuals involved in Purdue Pharma's opioid marketing practices. They said those separate investigations are ongoing.
While no criminal indictments have been handed down as yet, none of the people involved in this are in the clear. However, with the protections provided by the corporate "veil," it is not clear exactly what crimes specific individuals might be charged with.

This was part of an almost Hilteresque evil that resulted in hundreds of thousands of American deaths, and many more ruined lives. Some of the people involved in this company and in other parts of the supply chain for these opiods - including not just a few medical doctors - should probably be given the harshest possible penalties for their crimes.

The law may not be set up to do it, but if ever there were people who deserved to be executed in the name of justice, certainly many of these people deserve to be at the top of that list.

Evaluating this tragedy in terms of a monetary settlement completely misses what is truly important here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 01:10 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Bunny View Post
8 billion says it all. If they are able to payout that amount just think how much more they are hiding from us.
Yep that too lenient, but I guess we also can sue the pharmacies that distribute, and the doctors that prescribe. We as country have deficit to pay down.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:14 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
I do not even understand this; they provided a product, a product a person cannot buy without a prescription from a doctor. So, if there is abuse, how in the hell is that their fault? If doctors are complicit in allowing people to abuse the drug, then that should fall on the doctors and the abusers.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:16 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
$12 billion in profits went to the Sackler family alone...at least the criminal investigations against them are still ongoing.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sackler...ma-11570221797

Chump change for having caused $500 billion in economic losses in a single year.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...-epidemic-cost

Last edited by notnamed; 10-21-2020 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 01:19 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I do not even understand this; they provided a product, a product a person cannot buy without a prescription from a doctor. So, if there is abuse, how in the hell is that their fault? If doctors are complicit in allowing people to abuse the drug, then that should fall on the doctors and the abusers.
Dont Docs and insurance get kickbacks from pushing drugs. I thought that is why pharmaceutical reps exist. Why else you need to go around to each Doc to market a brand?

Old 10-21-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Bunny View Post
8 billion says it all. If they are able to payout that amount just think how much more they are hiding from us.
They are not able to pay out anything close to that amount, and they will not in the end pay anything close to that amount.

Purdue is in bankruptcy and is going to be liquidated. The company's net assets are roughly estimated to be about $5 billion. And there are a lot of other legitimate claimants to those assets in bankruptcy than just the beneficiaries of this settlement agreement.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
The abusers in many cases have been punished literally to death.

Your point about holding the doctors who irresponsibly prescribed these opioids is spot on. These doctors are every bit as guilty for these deaths and the ruined lives as this company is.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
$12 billion in profits went to the Sackler family alone...at least the criminal investigation against them are still ongoing.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sackler...ma-11570221797

Chump change for having caused $500 billion in economic losses in a single year.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...-epidemic-cost
Yeah, this better not be the end of this for either the Sackler's or the management team of Purdue.

And there were other companies that were involved in this as well.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:47 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
They paid doctors to prescribe it
They advertised it harshly.
The whole industry pushed this stuff out like candy.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:01 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
They paid doctors to prescribe it
They advertised it harshly.
The whole industry pushed this stuff out like candy.
If someone paid me to kill someone, and I did, I am just as complicit. I also have the choice of refusing.

A doctor volunteered to do this, and got paid to do so. I would not kill someone for all the money in the world, so why is a doctor violating his discipline and oath, receiving money to do this? That is criminal, a simple "no" will do wonders.

So what they advertise harshly, there are all sorts of advertisements in the world, I still have not yet bought a Bick nor will I ever, despite the no stop advertising. I also never ate at Burger and McDonalds, despite the constant advertisements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies