Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 02:25 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I fail to see where most of Trump's positions align with "Democrat" positions, but you're obviously free to vote for anyone you'd like - so, congrats?
So you don't like that we have not started any new wars under Trump? Is that not a Democrat ideal to strive for? What about lowest ever unemployment? What about prison and police reform, and funding for historically black colleges and universities? What about lower prescription drug costs? What about peace deals between Israel and Muslim nations?

Trump has done the very things Obama promised he'd do, and yet you people ignore it all, and singularly focus on Trump's personality traits that you don't like. Put the petty partisanship aside for an hour, and honestly look at what Trump has been able to achieve, despite the hate he gets from Democrats and the news media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 02:29 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSENGERTOASCHERON View Post
He gave up his salary
And Shick gave me a free razor, I just need to buy the blades.

You people are so gullible. He donates (or claims to) his salary, but he uses the office to direct Government spending to his properties by hosting events. He uses his office to selectively give exceptions to his tarriffs so his family can have an advantage and make money. He uses his office to illegally go after political opponents, so he can stay in office and make more money. He is leveraged by hundreds of millions of dollars (some say billions) to countries who hold his debt. His $400k salary is PEANUTS compared to the benefit he gets form office. Don't be gullible.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:30 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
OP, if you went from voting for Obama to voting for Trump, you are probably just the kind of low information voter Trump loves. Trump is the antithesis of Obama. If he's the guy who best represents your views, great - vote for him. Fortunately, it looks like a large majority don't like having a con man in the White House so we'll get a chance at having a decent president once again real soon. As a lifelong Democrat, you should have no problem getting behind Biden once he assumes office.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:32 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
And Shick gave me a free razor, I just need to buy the blades.

You people are so gullible. He donates (or claims to) his salary, but he uses the office to direct Government spending to his properties by hosting events. He uses his office to selectively give exceptions to his tarriffs so his family can have an advantage and make money. He uses his office to illegally go after political opponents, so he can stay in office and make more money. He is leveraged by hundreds of millions of dollars (some say billions) to countries who hold his debt. His $400k salary is PEANUTS compared to the benefit he gets form office. Don't be gullible.
Joe Biden used the office of the Vice Presidency for personal financial gain for himself and his family.

And we have evidence of this!!

But you know, Orange man bad and all that.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:33 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrelo View Post
Except for my first election, when I voted for Reagan, I have voted Democrat my whole life, including two times for Obama. So how exactly does a life long Democrat start warming up to someone like Trump? It is an interesting phenomena, which finally consumed my 82 year old mother (also a life long Democrat).

It starts like this...

1. I can't stand Trump. If that ahole was the last person on earth I would not vote for him. He's a slimeball.

2. I agree with Trump about that issue, but he is still the biggest slimeball ever. No way I would vote for someone like that.

3. Yeah, I agree with him on that issue too. He might be the most unlikeable person on earth, but I do agree with him on some things. Still, no way in he!! I would ever vote for him.

4. to 10. Rinse and repeat.

11. Could I possibly be wrong about Trump???? I can't vote for Trump, can I?

12. I think Trump is right about just about everything, and the media keeps attacking him. Could it be that the people the media hate are actually the good guys? No fing way.

13. Trump is blasting the media as fake news, and going after everyone speaking out against him. At some point that behavior, no matter how unsavory it is, actually endears him to you. Because you understand that he is calling out the liars. Yeah, he is a total wildcard, tweets like a madman, but at the end of the day...

You start to realize that Trump, the man who you thought was a slimeball, was the rogue wave president who shined a light on the cockroaches that are destroying this country. It is at that point that you are fully onboard.

It really takes enough time for a person to realize that Trump, with all his flaws, might possibly be the only honest person in Washington. And that is mind blowing to think about.
He has not said 1 thing I agree with...he's picked Judges that I completely disagree w/...me thinks you were not a Democrat if you agree w/ anything that POS says.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:34 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I fail to see where most of Trump's positions align with "Democrat" positions, but you're obviously free to vote for anyone you'd like - so, congrats?
Democrats’ positions haven’t aligned with Democrat voters for some time. It’s why a lot of Obama voters voted for Trump (he couldn’t have won if they didn’t), and the Democrat pols have gone off the deep end. Regular people see that.

The clincher for many was when house candidates ran on kitchen table issues and then proceeded to scream “IMPEACH!” for two years after they won. A lot of people were really turned off by that.

People on the right are listening to everyone, on all sides, generally. People on the left do what you do, and deride then ignore any message they don’t like.

How do you think that turns out on Election Day? Despite what you think, you’re an extremist. Most people who vote Democrat think a LOT more like Trump than like you. He’s actually a left leaning moderate.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:37 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
This.

Plus, I don't see how a "life long Democrat" warms up to a policy of separating young children from their parents and putting the kids into cages {snip}
This shows how little informed you are by the news sources you watch. The kids in cages was from Obama's presidency. That famous photo that started this false idea was a photos taken back in 2014.

No wonder you people think so ill of Trump, most of what they believe about him is false.

In this June 18, 2014, file photo, detainees sleep and watch television in a holding cell where hundreds of mostly Central American immigrant children are being processed.

First glimpse of immigrant children at holding facility

Old 10-21-2020, 02:38 PM

13,647 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
He has not said 1 thing I agree with...he's picked Judges that I completely disagree w/...me thinks you were not a Democrat if you agree w/ anything that POS says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Democrats’ positions haven’t aligned with Democrat voters for some time. It’s why a lot of Obama voters voted for Trump (he couldn’t have won if they didn’t), and the Democrat pols have gone off the deep end. Regular people see that.
We have to distinguish: which Democrats? There's stark difference between blue-collar "Reagan Democrats", and the people who voted for Adlai Stevenson.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:39 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
My recommendation is to start looking long term. Love him or hate him, Trump is either gone in a month or 4 years.

Start looking at the platforms. People are so busy either defending or hating Trump, nobody is focusing on the issues that each respective party represents.

I'm convinced 80% of Democrats vote for Biden because they don't like Trump. Well that's fine and dandy but when you vote Biden, you better make sure you know what you are getting when you vote for him!!!! Sadly most don't. They'll figure it out later when this nation is in absolute shambles. All you need to do is look at cities like my home town of Seattle, SF, New York or Chicago. Is this really want you want for the rest of the nation? Wake up folks, wake up!

Old 10-21-2020, 02:39 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Let me help you.
1. Trumps view of illegal immigration is utterly indistinguishable from that of Caesar Chavez (progressive labor leader) and the democrat part of a generation ago.
2. Trumps view of NAFTA is 100% in line with the majority of the American Unions that have historically been Democrat voters.
3. Trumps push back on China comes directly from the progressive "fair trade" policy position of just 10 years ago.
4. Trumps populism strikes directly at the blue collar middle class democrat voter. It used to be that populism was mainstream of the democrat party.

Now that doesn't speak to the modern progressive party that the democrat party has become but it sure does strike a cord with what used to be the Democrat Wing of the Democrat party.
Anti-immigration (muslim ban, ****hole countries, H1B visas) isn't a Dem position.
Anti-environment (Paris Climate Accords, EPA de regulation) isn't a Dem position.
Anti-regulation (too many to list) of private enterprise isn't a Dem position.
Increased military spending isn't a Dem position.
Populism isn't a Dem position, per se. Trump is unarguably a conservative populist - Bernie would be much closer to a Dem populist.
NAFTA was unarguably a Republican brainchild, despite the fact that Clinton is the one who signed it into law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies