Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 08:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
American leftists finally realized that we African Americans don’t know a damn thing about Africa.
YOU don’t...I don’t know who “we” is. You’re a Frenchman now or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think the African American should be dropped if someone did not immigrate from that country. My wife is off the boat from Ireland but she does not refer to herself as an Irish American.

It is odd that someone would identify with a country/continent they have never been to. The term African American was a silly term and no doubt started by some PC movement to make people feel better about themselves but it actually just served a certain political party that likes to put people in to categories.

If you were born in American then you are an American.
Nope. We aren’t dropping it.

Wife is from Ireland? That’s cute, but we aren’t obligated to follow their example. After all, we were here before they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 08:35 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope. We aren’t dropping it.

Wife is from Ireland? That’s cute, but we aren’t obligated to follow their example. After all, we were here before they were.
Right. So what?

Both of my parents are immigrants and I’m not dropping my country of descent-nationality identification for random insecure/bothered people. My parents use it and raised us that way. Many whites do it conveniently and half of them have never been to their countries of origin and they don’t complain when Asians do it either. So they can miss me with the complaints.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:37 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Right. So what?

Both of my parents are immigrants and I’m not dropping my country of descent-nationality identification for random insecure/bothered people. My parents use it and raised us that way. Many whites do it conveniently and half of them have never been to their countries of origin and they don’t complain when Asians do it either. So they can miss me with the complaints.
Your parents aren’t from France, are they?

Old 10-22-2020, 08:39 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Im English,Irish,Scottish and French.American. My wife is 1000% Swedish. (Her family gos back to when they went raiding(peaceful protesting) with horns on their heads )American.So our kids are ,,get ready, English Irish ,Scotch ,French, Swedish ,Americans.
We refer to ourselves as AMERICANS.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Your parents aren’t from France, are they?
Doesn’t matter where they are from. My point stands.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:50 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Nigerians have over 200 ethnicities but when dealing with others, they will tell you they are Nigerian first for context. The ethnicities are not necessarily limited by country either.
My college roommate called himself Igbo first. There was a lot of pride in the tribe.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
My college roommate called himself Igbo first. There was a lot of pride in the tribe.
There is, definitely. One of my best friends is Igbo as well and I roomed with another Igbo friend. They tend to identify themselves by tribe first. However, generally speaking, they will tell you their country (for context) and then ethnic group upon meeting you. In fact, most Africans tend do it that way in my experience, even though tribe is most important to them.

For those of us in the diaspora who were able to maintain our ethnic origins, we tend to identify with tribe. We don’t really know where country our ancestors would have fallen in.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:20 AM

622 posts, read 410,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
LBJ, possibly the most bigged President in US history, did not use the word Negro.or Black.
Your using progressive history.
He appointed Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court!

Old 10-22-2020, 09:22 AM

622 posts, read 410,238 times
Quote:
There is, definitely. One of my best friends is Igbo as well and I roomed with another Igbo friend. They tend to identify themselves by tribe first. However, generally speaking, they will tell you their country (for context) and then ethnic group upon meeting you. In fact, most Africans tend do it that way in my experience, even though tribe is most important to them.

For those of us in the diaspora who were able to maintain our ethnic origins, we tend to identify with tribe. We don’t really know where country our ancestors would have fallen in.
I assume you mean Ibo ...... there are three main tribes in Nigeria: Hausa, Yoruba and Ibo!

Old 10-22-2020, 10:55 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Among people of African origin, yes. I haven’t heard it much outside of that. These people obsess over the how people of African descent identify is laughable seeing as Asian-Americans and Hispanic-Americans have a host of ethnic identities under them.
Agreed. I personally don't care what people decide to call themselves. AAPI citizens and Latin Americans have multiple terms that they identify with ethnically but I don't see people making a huge fit bout them. I personally only use "AA" when I'm writing something formal, generally I say "black" or "black American".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies