Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 04:28 PM

7,496 posts, read 7,186,122 times

Advertisements

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/10...-in-loans.html

“Another bombshell published by The New York Times on Tuesday revealed that Donald Trump avoided paying taxes on nearly $300 million in loans he received.

According to the report, “The president’s federal income tax records, obtained by The New York Times, show for the first time that, since 2010, his lenders have forgiven about $287 million in debt that he failed to repay. The vast majority was related to the Chicago project.”

As Forbes pointed out on Tuesday, those loans “would normally count as taxable income,” but Trump largely avoided paying taxes on it.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 04:50 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Hidden in the article is that things were offset by other losses.

This is called business. You guys continue to make yourselves look very, very dumb.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:52 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
The financial and business illiteracy of the left passed the point of painful long, long ago.

They think they are being taught business classes by fake investigative reporters. Essentially a propoganda machine.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:00 PM

2,005 posts, read 762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
The financial and business illiteracy of the left passed the point of painful long, long ago.

They think they are being taught business classes by fake investigative reporters. Essentially a propoganda machine.
Assuming this is accurate, I still fail to see how NYS or NYC has any standing on his federal tax issues.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:02 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Liberals are stupid... Loans that are forgiven ARE SENT to the federal government as a 1099... You cannot not pay taxes on it...

Old 10-28-2020, 05:06 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Quote:
Hidden in the article is that things were offset by other losses.

This is called business. You guys continue to make yourselves look very, very dumb.
I know. I am so amazed how little they know about tax law, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, our Government, our history............. If it is legal, and they don't like it, they need to work to make changes, but severe changes to make business not worth doing in the USA will only drive those businesses to a more tax friendly country, which has already happened in many cases with more moving out if Biden/Harris cheat their way to the presidency.

More desperation posts from the left. I believe part of this is to drive the Biden corruption threads out off the first page of this section.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:14 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
Quote:

Is Forbes financially illiterate?

Report: Trump Had Over $280 Million In Debt Forgiven And Avoided Paying Taxes On Most Of It
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nichola...on-most-of-it/

Old 10-28-2020, 05:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
I don't get how he didn't have to pay taxes on the forgiven loans. That's considered income. Am I missing something?

Old 10-28-2020, 05:20 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
Accountants know the loopholes to pay as little tax as possible; perfect legal. Why would anyone pay more tax than they need to?

Years ago we religiously went to HR Block and ended up owing money one year. We decided to get a second opinion and went to an accountant elsewhere and ended up getting thousands back instead. Are we bad people for this? Lol.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:27 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,003,566 times
So he had massive losses that he could offset against those loans that were written off, that's one issue. The bigger issue to me, at least, is that he failed to repay $270 million in loans! And the banks, instead of trying to collect simply wrote off the balance! And POTUS is proud of that...saying it makes him a smart guy. I suppose deadbeat = smart guy....

I suspect what actually happened is that the banks eventually decided that they couldn't collect the loans, wrote them off and gave up on attempting collecting them. Once a financial institution ceases to attempt collection on such a debt they are required to issue a 1099 since the unpaid debt is then considered taxable income to the borrower. It doesn't matter if the debt is really forgiven by some mutual agreement or if the bank just determines it to be uncollectible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies