Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 03:40 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Because Healthcare should be a right, not a privilege
What part of the spirit of the founding of our country is consistent with that ^^^^^.?

^^^^^ I’m thinking of four specific words that, I would argue, don’t amount to a justification. I want to see you use those four words in your reasoning.

(and yes, slavery was a huge stain, a huge failing re our collective spirit, but it doesn’t invalidate everything/make everything from our founding, from our founding spirit, bad)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 03:57 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
"promote the general welfare,"

You spoiled what I was trying to do (I didn’t see your post above until after my last post, post #62, posted).

I think many of the conflicts in our society boil down to differing opinions of what those four words mean/should include.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Scandinavia, and I understand why many people like some form of UHC, but I don’t buy that it falls under “promote the general welfare”. Ïf were going to decide to detach from from our founding spirit, then we should have a constitutional convention and change many things. But that is never going to happen, and some form of UHC probably will.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:27 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
Rights are naturally endowed, they are not things you have to force people to do. Heavily taxing your population in order to pay medical bills for those that don’t want to work is not a right. Yes, we should provide a system where everyone has access to healthcare, but that’s a far cry from calling it a “right.”

Old 10-23-2020, 05:35 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
All this rhetoric about how bad the ACA is. I'm sure it's not perfect. But something is better than nothing. The only person I know who's enrolled in it is glad to have "some form" of healthcare to rely on.

So, with that in mind, what exactly do Republicans want to replace the ACA with? What are the details of all which Republicans are constantly touting as "better, cheaper?" All I keep hearing is, "Don't worry, we have a better plan . . . trust me!" Where's this great plan? Am anxious to read about it.

And please, before the ACA is cut, it would be rather prudent to ensure we have something "better" to replace it with.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:46 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
During Obama's two terms, Republicans argued that Obamacare was hurting the American economy and was a total job killer. Ted Cruz of Texas said the ACA killed "literally millions" of jobs. President Trump has been in office for four years now and has been unsuccessful in getting the law repealed and replaced. However, prior to COVID, the economy has boomed like never before with huge job gains and record-low unemployment rates despite Obamacare still in place.

Is Obamacare still a job killer and bad for the American economy like it was in the past?

Old 10-23-2020, 05:51 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Rights are naturally endowed, they are not things you have to force people to do. Heavily taxing your population in order to pay medical bills for those that don’t want to work is not a right. Yes, we should provide a system where everyone has access to healthcare, but that’s a far cry from calling it a “right.”
It's more like pay bills for people who do work, but their employer doesn't offer insurance, or they do, but with a prohibitive deductible!

Old 10-23-2020, 05:54 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
We are the only civilized country that doesn't provide universal health care. I'm not in favor of Medicare for all and the ACA certainly needs improvement but we should not be getting rid of something that provides healthcare for 10 million people. The sad part is that many citizens in the 13 states that filed the lawsuit have high amounts of uninsured, Texas which is leading the charge has the highest uninsured rate in the country. It's deplorable that a country with our wealth has so many uninsured.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:02 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We are the only civilized country that doesn't provide universal health care. I'm not in favor of Medicare for all and the ACA certainly needs improvement but we should not be getting rid of something that provides healthcare for 10 million people. The sad part is that many citizens in the 13 states that filed the lawsuit have high amounts of uninsured, Texas which is leading the charge has the highest uninsured rate in the country. It's deplorable that a country with our wealth has so many uninsured.
As usual, you are wrong. We provide healthcare to those that can't afford it. If you want to see Government healthcare in the U.S. go the the VA. You will be amazed how bad it is. Stop with your lies and nonsense. You've been proven wrong over and over and over on here. Just stop.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:08 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
"promote the general welfare,"
Promote is NOT provide. They have two completely different meanings.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:16 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
All this rhetoric about how bad the ACA is. I'm sure it's not perfect. But something is better than nothing. The only person I know who's enrolled in it is glad to have "some form" of healthcare to rely on.

So, with that in mind, what exactly do Republicans want to replace the ACA with? What are the details of all which Republicans are constantly touting as "better, cheaper?" All I keep hearing is, "Don't worry, we have a better plan . . . trust me!" Where's this great plan? Am anxious to read about it.

And please, before the ACA is cut, it would be rather prudent to ensure we have something "better" to replace it with.
Something is NOT better than nothing to the middle class Americans who were happy with their health insurance previously and now cannot afford insurance? Do you honestly expect a 60-year-old couple earning $70,000 (2 high school grads earning $35,000 each), whose insurance is now $2000 a month with $13,000 deductible to say, “well, now *we* can’t afford to buy insurance, but the Obamacare law is better than nothing.”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies