Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 05:41 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
A freedom that stops at one's private property.... Business is private property.
" Business is private property." NOT if you are white and turn away a black person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 05:45 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thRsikyXuSk

A restaurant manager wants a customer to remove his "Make America Great Again" hat or get out. How will diners react?

It's a "What Would You Do". episode.
If it's a private establishment, the manager reserves the right to refuse service.

End of story

Old 10-26-2020, 06:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
This was taped in 2018. It occurred on private property.

Seems to me wearers of political spirit wear intend to provoke reactions.

Wearers of political spirit wear are not a protected class.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:08 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Business is private property." NOT if you are white and turn away a black person.

Yes, it is.

Race, religion, sex, and national origin are protected classifications by federal law. Some states add sexual orientation.

It works that way for everyone. This has been law for half a century. People who continue to say otherwise are trolls.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:08 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes, it is.

Race, religion, sex, and national origin are protected classifications by federal law. Some states add sexual orientation.

It works that way for everyone. This has been law for half a century. People who continue to say otherwise are trolls.
And some 5-6 liberal swinging Supreme Court justices added sexual orientation to the Civil Rights Act .

Anyway, whether private actors and property owners should or not it is dubious the Constitution requires them to not discriminate based on any classification .

Old 10-26-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
And some 5-6 liberal swinging Supreme Court justices added sexual orientation to the Civil Rights Act.

Anyway, whether private actors and property owners should or not it is dubious the Constitution requires them to not discriminate based on any classification .

The Constitution does not require anything of private citizens and property owners. That's why there are separate laws that do.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
The Constitution does not require anything of private citizens and property owners. That's why there are separate laws that do.
What I'm saying is the Constitution does not allow the government to compel private actors to not discriminate on their private property. That was 80 years long standing 8-1 Court precedent.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What I'm saying is the Constitution does not allow the government to compel private actors to not discriminate on their private property. That was 80 years long standing 8-1 Court precedent.

The Constitution also did not compel slave owners to free their slaves.

Things change.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
The Constitution also did not compel slave owners to free their slaves.

Things change.
13th Amendment? .

Let me explain it again. The Court had ruled the 14th Amendment did not allow the government to make law compelling private property owners and actors to not discriminate. The Constitution has not been materially changed since that ruling.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:38 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
My mom would have beaten my ass if I wore a hate to dinner and refused to take it off. So the question is....do you:
A. Act like a entitled child and refuse to follow the rules.
B. Calmly leave and take your business elsewhere.
C. Take off your hat and have some food.

So lets turn it around, and say I had a biden hat. Know what my answer is?

C. Im not a child anymore unlike so many MAGA hat folks, and I dont care what the politics are of my restaurant unless it affects my food. Fun fact, the best hot tub place in Portland is ran by a Trump supporter, I've chatted with him a couple times, and he is a nice guy. We just disagree about politics, not about morals or ethics. And his politics dont affect the quality of the hot tubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies