Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 11:21 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

Food Service is a top employer, but it pays very little. Well at least prior to Covid-19

Not really going to be able to build wealth, and no benefits either.

and on top of that restaurants were closing fast before Covid-19 as there was over saturation in market

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbvNhQ4lYLE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 11:31 PM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Nobody ever thought food service was a career. Its a job for most people, and should be for those in highschool, young adults and as a second income for families.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:45 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Nobody ever thought food service was a career. Its a job for most people, and should be for those in highschool, young adults and as a second income for families.
It is a career though, why would anyone not think it is?

Old 10-23-2020, 12:03 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
There are only so many jobs around. Once they filled, then what?

MSM keeps touting there is a "high skill" manufacturing worker shortage. Yet in the vid, posted 6 months ago, that town had a plethora of manufacturing jobs. But those are all gone, and now almost everyone working in restaurants.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:35 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
There are only so many jobs around. Once they filled, then what?

MSM keeps touting there is a "high skill" manufacturing worker shortage. Yet in the vid, posted 6 months ago, that town had a plethora of manufacturing jobs. But those are all gone, and now almost everyone working in restaurants.
I never buy "worker shortage", that's chamber of commerce code for we want to drive wages down

Old 10-23-2020, 06:52 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,903 times
Quote:

I know many people who have made food service a career and beverage service too. In NH, my previous boss also owns a very successful restaurant. The waitresses that work there average between $350 and $400 per night in tips in the summer. The rest of the year, between $200 and $250. That's not a bad wage for working about a 6-7 our shift. The bartenders do even better because they get tipped out by each waitress as well as there own tips.

Many of them are in their 40s to 50s - it's all they have ever done and is more money than they would be making in many other industries. And most are college educated.

Not everyone wants to be stuck in an 8-5 job doing the same thing every day.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:09 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I'm sure that some science deniers as to how supply and demand work will rush in to argue with me but hmmmmm.....food service is in the job sector that employs a lot of illegal workers. Meaning that they both work in food service as well as other comparable labor related jobs.

As such, 6 million such workers does a great job keeping the need to pay good wages or benefits low, business profits solid and the price low for people like me.

Convincing people that opposing illegal immigration is somehow *racist* is the greatest con-job that the US elite and corporations ever pulled off.

But hey, it's stopped bothering me so much because you can explain this to people (supply...demand) and they just can't over-ride their programming and deny that it has any real impact. Oh well, ultimately it helps me and mine because we're well educated so hey...I guess stupid just earns it's own reward sometimes. *shrug*

Old 10-23-2020, 07:18 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm sure that some science deniers as to how supply and demand work will rush in to argue with me but hmmmmm.....food service is in the job sector that employs a lot of illegal workers. Meaning that they both work in food service as well as other comparable labor related jobs.

As such, 6 million such workers does a great job keeping the need to pay good wages or benefits low, business profits solid and the price low for people like me.

Convincing people that opposing illegal immigration is somehow *racist* is the greatest con-job that the US elite and corporations ever pulled off.

But hey, it's stopped bothering me so much because you can explain this to people (supply...demand) and they just can't over-ride their programming and deny that it has any real impact. Oh well, ultimately it helps me and mine because we're well educated so hey...I guess stupid just earns it's own reward sometimes. *shrug*
I'd rather illegals as you call them continue to work on the industrial farms and slaughterhouses, no American should have to work those jobs. I used to pick up meat loads from National Beef, Cargill and Tyson abbatoir's, and they are the most depressing places I've ever been. If there's one job that should be automated, it's animal slaughter and butchery

Old 10-23-2020, 08:21 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'd rather illegals as you call them continue to work on the industrial farms and slaughterhouses, no American should have to work those jobs. I used to pick up meat loads from National Beef, Cargill and Tyson abbatoir's, and they are the most depressing places I've ever been. If there's one job that should be automated, it's animal slaughter and butchery
What official corporate re-branded term should I use to describe the people they abuse to get cheap labor that can't organize into unions or put up any fuss? Oh yeah, "undocumented"?

Maybe we can start calling sex slaves, indentured intimacy consultants too.

My child-hood friend worked at the meat plant in Joslin, IL for over 5 years so I'm well aware of the work.

Do you know why they only have part of the process automated?

Spoiler
Because illegals are cheaper and if they get depressed and can't hack it they get no benefits and we replace them with another worker. Is it time warp back to 1910? Leave it to the progressives of today to undermine the work of the progressives of 100 years ago.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:01 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Food Service is a top employer, but it pays very little.
Yeah, so? It's food service, not brain surgery.

The so-called "documentary" is propaganda filled with lies, errors, omissions, innuendos and half-truths.

It singles out one economically depressed county in rural Indiana out of the 3,007 counties, parishes and boroughs in the US.

If CBS wanted to tell the TRUTH, why didn't they come to Hamilton County, Ohio or Kenton County, Kentucky?

That's probably because Wendy's here start at $11/hour. White Castle starts at $12/hour with pay raises that get you to $13/hour in 6 months.

That's a 2-bedroom apartment that rents for $450/month which is quite normal around here, unless you want a swimming pool. Then you'd have to pay $525-$550/month.

Fast food workers here can afford that. Hell, they can work 30-32 hours a week and still afford it.

Some questions the Göbbels-worshiper in that documentary refuses to ask is this:

What have you done to improve your life?
Have you sought vocational training?
Have you enrolled in a community college?

A Göbbels-worshiper would never dare ask those questions.

But, we're supposed to feel sorry for them and jump out of our asses and subsidize their Life-Styles because they are lazy and unmotivated.

Quote:
Nobody ever thought food service was a career.
It never was and never will be.

It's job training for high school students; supplemental income for those wanna pick up a few bucks to double down on car payments; pay down other bills; want extra spending money; are totally bored and wanna get out of the house a few hours a week; or for the Loser Class who are too damn dumb to do anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Fast food is not a career.

Fast food is a stepping-stone for motivated driven people who rise from burger flipper to crew/shift leader to assistant manager/manager and then into other managerial positions that may or may not be related to food service or open their own restaurants or engage in other entrepreneurship.

Fine dining is a career. Those are career chefs, not just burger-flippers. The Maitre d', wine captain, waitstaff, etc earn money on a par or greater than people who work in an office.

We had a five-star restaurant here and the Maitre d' pulled six bills.

"It's only $100,000" yeah, well you can buy a house here for $100,000 and I don't mean a 90-year old 1-bedroom 600 sq ft cottage on a teeny-tiny lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies