Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 10:20 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Don't fall into the trap the Republicans did when they thought all the polls were wrong and skewed in 2012 Romney and ended up with really long faces election night...including Romney.
If that was a thing, it wasn't comparable to the size and scope of 2016.

I knew Romney was going to lose. That was the general feeling among republicans in my circle.

And this election, I have absolutely no idea who is going to win, but I give the edge to Biden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 10:21 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
This thread will not age well
Kind of like Obama?..

Old 10-23-2020, 10:36 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuru View Post
You may be right though I live in Florida in a county that leaned Democrat in 2016, and I have to say that the support for Trump has not abated. I understand that Trump has lost support among retirees but all of the indications are that he has gained support among Latinos especially among the Cubans and some South Americans.

My DIL is Mexican American and she supports the Republicans - even though she does not like Trump - but she lives in CA so her vote will not make a difference.
"I understand that Trump has lost support among retirees"

I live is a large retirees area and see just the opposite. I see Trump signs out number biden signs by at least 10-1.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:40 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I understand that Trump has lost support among retirees"

I live is a large retirees area and see just the opposite. I see Trump signs out number biden signs by at least 10-1.
Yes. The last thing retirees want is a President that won't stand for law and order.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:42 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I don't think that 50% holds the magic for Trump.

Every President since polling began maintained a minimum of 50% approval throughout his term as President. The 50% was the floor; most of the time they all were actually several points higher.

Only Donald Trump failed to ever reach that 50% approval average. The most he's been able to do is 43%, and that has been remarkably stable, rarely going higher or lower. So, for Trump, 43% was both his ceiling and his floor in approval ratings.
That means Trump's base- the voters who went for him early and who voted for him in 2016- are still with him. He's kept them quite intact for 4 years, but he hasn't captured any new voters since then.

Trump's favorability average isn't at 50%. Rasmussen, and outlier, may have bumped Trump's average up a point, but he's still around 43%, and Biden has been as stable at 51%.
Both have gotten minor bounces, and both have dipped down to low points. The gap between them remains much larger than the one in 2016, a closer race by far.

The averages don't lie.
How well did the polls do for teh last election?

I just saw one form Quinnipac that polled dems by 11% and 15% MORE then Trump. What "results" would you expect?

Most polls STOPPED giving their methodology after it was revealed how many dems they poll over repubs.

Polls are meaningless anyway since we do NOT elect by "popular" anyway.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:45 AM

1,199 posts, read 734,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
The only polls that matter is that on November 3rd.

Don't get complacent.

But, Democrats should start to worry at this point if they thought they had it in the bag.

I mean, if he's as awful as they keep saying he is, then they should cake-walk this.
I think Trump is a terrible president. But I don't care how "better at the polls" Biden is at, I will not be complacent till all the votes are counted.

One thing I have noticed of people on the left is they are not assuming that Biden will win, no matter what the polls say. And I see a lot less people willing to stand by the side lines.

They are willing to go through broken glass covered in rubbing alcohol to ensure they can vote, which is a much different sentiment then what we saw in 2016.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:48 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
This is anything but a normal election.

Nothing short of CA going GOP will surprise me.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:52 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I don't think that 50% holds the magic for Trump.

Every President since polling began maintained a minimum of 50% approval throughout his term as President. The 50% was the floor; most of the time they all were actually several points higher.

Only Donald Trump failed to ever reach that 50% approval average. The most he's been able to do is 43%, and that has been remarkably stable, rarely going higher or lower. So, for Trump, 43% was both his ceiling and his floor in approval ratings.
That means Trump's base- the voters who went for him early and who voted for him in 2016- are still with him. He's kept them quite intact for 4 years, but he hasn't captured any new voters since then.

Trump's favorability average isn't at 50%. Rasmussen, and outlier, may have bumped Trump's average up a point, but he's still around 43%, and Biden has been as stable at 51%.
Both have gotten minor bounces, and both have dipped down to low points. The gap between them remains much larger than the one in 2016, a closer race by far.

The averages don't lie.
while i agree that Rasmussen may be an outlier, that doesn't mean i think its wrong. Rasmussen has consistently been accurate. Gallop also has Trump at 50.

beyond that, you are just flat wrong about 50% being the floor. That's just not accurate.

As for this election, i think the reality here is that no one can say for certain, although i am more hopeful of a Trump victory today than at any point before today. In fact 2 months ago I said it was Biden's to lose.

What isn't being accounted for (because it cant be) is the number of people Trump team has found that traditionally don't vote. IF that number is as large as some think, its going to be a win. If that is pie in the sky then its a Trump loss.

And we still have no clue. but we will...

Old 10-23-2020, 10:53 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
This is anything but a normal election.

Nothing short of CA going GOP will surprise me.
im starting to think the GOP picks up senate seats. its an odd election.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:54 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
I think Trump is a terrible president. But I don't care how "better at the polls" Biden is at, I will not be complacent till all the votes are counted.

One thing I have noticed of people on the left is they are not assuming that Biden will win, no matter what the polls say. And I see a lot less people willing to stand by the side lines.

They are willing to go through broken glass covered in rubbing alcohol to ensure they can vote, which is a much different sentiment then what we saw in 2016.
You haven't been reading much in the politics forum lately then. Plenty of liberals here already celebrating Biden's victory.

Biden probably will win. And if Biden wins, it's not a huge upset, because we already expect him to win. Biden's win is already baked into the cake.

But if Biden loses, that just makes Trump's victory that much worse for dems, and so much sweeter for republicans.

That's why I don't understand the logic in why you guys keep doing this to yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies