Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 07:04 AM

1,049 posts, read 653,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
You'd think, but it's easier to hide in your house than take charge of your health. All these unhealthy people want to cry about others not wearing masks instead of losing weight, improving their diets and getting their health conditions under control.

And I don't believe for one second that younger, healthy people can die from this virus or suffer permanent damage.
You must not hear about the 19-year-old runner in NC who died from COVID-19 or the 150 plus 50 years and younger deaths in Tennessee.

Younger and healthier gives you much better odds but you are fooling yourself and everyone else if you think this only significantly impacts older and unhealthier people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 07:26 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
I'm thinking of which countries suffered more than others, and the diets they're on. It seems to me pre-existing conditions has a lot more to do with who has exacerbated symptoms and who doesn't. Let's be honest, America's diet sucks in general, as a populous. Look at Japan's diet. Look at their numbers. Look at norther Europe, and even China.
It should be a substantial wake up call for many. It is just that the Pandemic hit so abruptly, and then the social change that most likely made it even harder for people to lose weight through diet and exercise. So far.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:23 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It should be a substantial wake up call for many.
Bottom line, right there.

That isn't fat shaming, or being mean, or scolding, or anything of the sort. All covid did was add itself to the list of possible reasons why being obese is just not real good for you. Diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, life expectancy, etc were already on the list. Covid just jumped up and made a severe and immediate statement about comorbidities.

You'd think all the other stuff would have gotten people to clue in already, but I guess since the other stuff doesn't kill you outright inside of 14 days like covid can, it's easier to ignore or dismiss. Plus, a ton of people make the excuse about "having a history of" whatever comorbidity was caused by obesity. Heart disease tops that list. This is another place covid shocks the culture, because you can't wave it off like heart disease and diabetes. There's no family history or genetic predisposition excuse. It is a comorbidity evaluator, if nothing else.

It should indeed be a wake up call, for basic hygiene and overall health and fitness. What's the first rule of Zombieland?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
You must not hear about the 19-year-old runner in NC who died from COVID-19 or the 150 plus 50 years and younger deaths in Tennessee.

Younger and healthier gives you much better odds but you are fooling yourself and everyone else if you think this only significantly impacts older and unhealthier people.
The fact is that 94% of the deaths related to covid were people with 2 or more comorbidities, and the most common of those comorbidities were either morbid obesity or health issues directly related to or caused by morbid obesity.

You're absolutely right that being younger and healthier gives you better odds, but you are absolutely wrong about who is most significantly impacted, because it is the older and unhealthier. Don't take my word for it, just ask the CDC. 94% is a pretty significant majority.

And take covid out of the picture, and just think of all the things that are made possible or made worse by both obesity (which can be prevented) and aging (which cannot be helped)? Age >70 is already an unavoidable, obvious comorbidity. We all get to deal with that one, assuming the good Lord let's us get to 70+. NO avoiding aging, and Father Time is 100.00% undefeated. Almost every other comorbidity out there can be eliminated or diminished in severity with a focus on health and fitness, with body fat composition being the easiest to individually and voluntarily control.

No, there isn't a guarantee. Hell, the guy who literally wrote the book on running, Jiim Fixx, died from a heart attack while running. After autopsy however, guess what two of his predispositions were that even with a serious running regimen, led to his heart attack? Prior to taking up his fitness craze, he was....wait for it....a smoker and...wait for it...morbidly obese. He had a congenital enlarged heart comorbidity at birth, but his voluntary actions drastically exacerbated that comorbidity. Did running "cure" him? Nope. But you are not going to find too many cardiologists out there who will discourage doing cardiovascular/aerobic exercise 3-4 times per week simply because of the Jim Fixx exception. They are not giving a guarantee that aerobic exercise will make you immortal, but I doubt too many of them will actively forbid you from increasing your cardio fitness. Go find any 100 cardiologists in America, and evaluate their personal fitness level and favorite form of exercise. When you do, you'll be about 95 people into forming a pretty serious long distance running club. There's a reason that damn near every cardiologist in this country looks like a marathon runner. Not a lot of morbidly obese smokers in the cardiologist ranks....wonder why that is?

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; 10-24-2020 at 08:43 AM..

Old 10-24-2020, 08:27 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The bold completely twists what I said about health care providers talking to patients about weight loss.
I think you and I are on different wavelengths. I clearly am struggling to understand what you are trying to point out all through this thread. The whole gist of my discussion was about excess weight being a factor in having more adverse outcomes with COVID. There was never any challenge to whether or not health care provides talk to patients about weight loss. Of course they do.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:34 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of which countries suffered more than others, and the diets they're on. It seems to me pre-existing conditions has a lot more to do with who has exacerbated symptoms and who doesn't. Let's be honest, America's diet sucks in general, as a populous. Look at Japan's diet. Look at their numbers. Look at norther Europe, and even China.
Well, it has become obvious that the answer for unhealthy Americans is government paid health insurance and depending on vaccines and other Big Pharma to get them by. The issue is "personal responsibility". While some do have issues for which they have not self-inflicted, the majority have issues related to obesity of which is a "personal responsibility" issue. Even seniors, of which I am one and know many, have done well or not even contracted the "virus" if they didn't have additional health issues, again mostly related to obesity (heart, kidneys, lungs, circulation..........) add smoking, excessive alcohol use, illegal drug use........

I am tired of "you stay home", "you wear a mask", etc. thus making me responsible for someone else's health. Maybe they exercise and eat a healthy diet to be ready for the next pandemic, I mean, they want me to be responsible for their health, so "get off the sofa and stop stuffing your face with fast food/junk food".

No mask. I boycott businesses that require them. I am responsible for my health, and others are responsible for theirs. https://healthandmoneynews.wordpress...OBDZhG-lscddEM https://pdmj.org/ Myself and my family destroying their health because someone else doesn't care about their health, nope! Those that are immune-compromised need to take precautions, again "personal responsibility".

The time to start thinking about one's ability to fight off or avoid an illness isn't when it starts circulating!

Old 10-24-2020, 08:37 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Some guy keeps putting up threads about letting the olds die. Maybe we should just let the fatties die...
Interesting to note that those who receive food stamps have the highest obesity rate (source: USDA) both adults AND children. So they cost taxpayers money for food stamps PLUS health care to treat their obesity-related diseases (heart disease, diabetes, etc.)

Old 10-24-2020, 08:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Because too many ignore the truth. A twisted agenda will do that.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:23 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Sadly, I don't think you need COVID to show and/or prove how unhealthy Americans are, all you need to do is look at the percent obesity and the number deaths each year related to heart disease (which are largely preventable) in the US to see that Americans have been unhealthy for a long, long time, way before COVID ever came onto the scene!

Last edited by cjseliga; 10-24-2020 at 09:47 AM..

Old 10-24-2020, 11:53 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Shouldn't much of heart disease, some cancers and Diabetes type 2 say the same? We still treat people because none of us live perfectly. These diseases are related to lifestyle choices.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:39 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
I believe this is a big wake up call to people who are unhealthy. They need to start doing something about it or you'll suffer consequences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies