Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 02:23 PM

1,111 posts, read 747,732 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of which countries suffered more than others, and the diets they're on. It seems to me pre-existing conditions has a lot more to do with who has exacerbated symptoms and who doesn't. Let's be honest, America's diet sucks in general, as a populous. Look at Japan's diet. Look at their numbers. Look at norther Europe, and even China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 02:25 PM

6,346 posts, read 2,900,201 times
Some guy keeps putting up threads about letting the olds die. Maybe we should just let the fatties die...

Old 10-23-2020, 02:29 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Then compare our health care spending per capita... The land of personal responsibility isn’t very responsible whether it be diet/exercise, preventative health care, or mask usage.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:33 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
It's definitely obesity which is a major player here. An endocrinologist I see regularly is on some of the local research here on COVID and told me the real "comordity" is obesity. I don't think this is being shouted from the rooftops nearly enough. Heck, just looking at some of the tributes to some of those younger folks that died of COVID nine times out of ten show a very obese young person. It's really sad. We've had approximately 6 of these last 8 months show us that obesity is a factor and I've only heard of a handful of people in my group actually buckling down and losing weight with all their extra time at home. Most others I know have packed on the COVID "15."

Old 10-23-2020, 03:01 PM

6,346 posts, read 2,900,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It's definitely obesity which is a major player here. An endocrinologist I see regularly is on some of the local research here on COVID and told me the real "comordity" is obesity. I don't think this is being shouted from the rooftops nearly enough. Heck, just looking at some of the tributes to some of those younger folks that died of COVID nine times out of ten show a very obese young person.
I could see that when the news posts pics of families that get hit hard by covid. Evolution is a ******, then you die.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:05 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
1. It's "morbid" obesity, that is, BMI of 40 or more, that's the co-morbidity.
2. Doctors talk weight loss with patients all the time. But going to Weight Watchers is not going to prevent you from getting Covid-19 if you're exposed and it takes a LONG TIME to lose weight.
3. 9 times out of ten? Do you have some documentation for that?
4. There is no "rapid" weight loss.
5. You sound very judgemental.
Of course I don't have "documentation" for that. Here's my statement:

Quote:
Heck, just looking at some of the tributes to some of those younger folks that died of COVID nine times out of ten show a very obese young person.
This relates to televised tributes that are on each night that showcase a recent COVID fatality. I watch every night. If the person who dies isn't elderly, but are young, well, I haven't seen one of normal weight yet.

When I had this discussion with the doctor I referenced who is studying those locally that either die or have serious illness, his finding are they are overweight and that this seems to be the biggest risk of problems. Not even morbidly obese, but even with a BMI of 30.

I have really buckled down during this pandemic and I lost 15 lbs over 5 months. It's extremely difficult.

You can call my attitude judgmental; you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but that hands-off, PC approach to obesity as a general conversation is why many people won't face the hard work that needs to be done. I've had my own struggles with weight and I have no issue calling it like it is.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:20 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
OP, yep, it should. But the lesson Americans drew instead is that government tyrants are trying to imprison them. You can't make this up. Americans are not only fat - they're also dumb.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:05 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
I'm thinking of which countries suffered more than others, and the diets they're on. It seems to me pre-existing conditions has a lot more to do with who has exacerbated symptoms and who doesn't. Let's be honest, America's diet sucks in general, as a populous. Look at Japan's diet. Look at their numbers. Look at norther Europe, and even China.
You have a valid point about the average American diet. However, it is our choice to consume the diet we want and not have it dictated to us by an all seeing government or some other unelected overseer. Some people choose to eat large amounts of good that isn't good for them. I choose to eat mostly small amounts of food that is good for me. But....sometimes I like a nice juicy steak, baked potato with butter and sour cream and steamed brocolli. Maybe some ice cream for desert. Again, it's a choice and I want that option to always be my choice.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:09 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Then compare our health care spending per capita... The land of personal responsibility isn’t very responsible whether it be diet/exercise, preventative health care, or mask usage.
Perhaps, but you still have a choice. Masks don't work.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:15 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times
You'd think, but it's easier to hide in your house than take charge of your health. All these unhealthy people want to cry about others not wearing masks instead of losing weight, improving their diets and getting their health conditions under control.

And I don't believe for one second that younger, healthy people can die from this virus or suffer permanent damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies