Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 07:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
From clinical trials.gov:

Facial masks are expected to protect against viral infection in two ways;
By reducing the risk of getting the virus in via the mouth or nose via respiratory droplets or aerosol
By reducing the transfer from virus-contaminated hands to the mouth or nose

Hypothesis The use of surgical facial masks outside the hospital will reduce the frequency of COVID-19 infection.
Do you have a link and a date for that info? I do remember, back in April, that was thought to be true.

In recent information, the benefit of a mask to the wearer was thought to be much less than the benefit to the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 07:40 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Just a suggestion - please don't try to dazzle us with science when you are so obviously ignorant of science. Lockdown skeptics is not exactly a known and trusted source for scientific information. And even at that, here's how the story at your link concludes (emphasis my own):

Catch 22: "We cannot say what they are dissatisfied with because then we would have to tell you what our conclusions are, and we certainly can't discuss our own conclusions."

If Dr. Professor Christian Torp-Pedersen doesn't want to discuss it, then he shouldn't discuss it. The reason that refereed scientific journals such as JAMA reject papers is because the authors of said paper have not submitted an article which includes reproducible results.

For example, I could submit an article to JAMA stating that the germ theory of disease is incorrect because I sampled a subset of CD poc members and I could find no evidence of bacterial or viral infection in any of them even though they all displayed a propensity for sick thinking. When my article got rejected, I would then state that my conclusions were rejected because they are "unpopular" and I don't want to specifically discuss my conclusions, anyhow.

I swear, the American people all deserve to die of covid and then get their bodies cremated from global warming. It would serve the vast majority of us right if we did.

Wow!

Old 10-23-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
From clinical trials.gov:

Facial masks are expected to protect against viral infection in two ways;
By reducing the risk of getting the virus in via the mouth or nose via respiratory droplets or aerosol
By reducing the transfer from virus-contaminated hands to the mouth or nose

Hypothesis The use of surgical facial masks outside the hospital will reduce the frequency of COVID-19 infection.
Exactly. They expected to find that masks work. What did they find that was controversial? Hopefully a journal will have the guts to publish the study.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,345,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Exactly. They expected to find that masks work. What did they find that was controversial? Hopefully a journal will have the guts to publish the study.
Why do you say the results are controversial?

Old 10-23-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Why do you say the results are controversial?

Because that is what the authors of the study have said. Please read the links.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:45 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Miss Teri, you have a history of posting pretty biased study information and here again we see this study article coming from an organization that appears to be anti-mask from the onset.

Given your anti-vax history and posts to such sources as naturalnews, why should I even bother clicking on a source that is telling me ahead of time that they have an agenda?

P.S. Those are the folks saying the HPV vaccine tests was killing girls in India and upon investigation they were counting deaths from traffic accidents, drowning and even snake bite.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:03 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,345,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Miss Teri, you have a history of posting pretty biased study information and here again we see this study article coming from an organization that appears to be anti-mask from the onset.

Given your anti-vax history and posts to such sources as naturalnews, why should I even bother clicking on a source that is telling me ahead of time that they have an agenda?

P.S. Those are the folks saying the HPV vaccine tests was killing girls in India and upon investigation they were counting deaths from traffic accidents, drowning and even snake bite.
That’s disgusting. I’m glad I refrained from clicking on the link.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:21 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I updated the OP to correct my mistake regarding double blind placebo controlled.

Is there truly any real evidence that masks protect others?
The Kirkland Washington choir practice super-spreader event this March convinced me that coronavirus can REALLY spread quickly. This was when they were talking distancing and not so much about masks.

https://www.businessinsider.com/two-...g-event-2020-3

Then I read about the Chinese bus super-spreader event, and that convinced me that masking really works. Before that I had doubts.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...sion-evidence/

Another bit of evidence is the difference in case numbers in the mask vs the anti-mask states. That right there ought to be enough to convince anybody.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:22 PM

39,849 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
“Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids (36). There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

Go ahead. Impugn the source. Tell me I’m misinterpreting it. Do what you have to do to ignore it. I understand.
Let me guess-that's not on CNN or BSNBC? Thanks for the link, it's educational.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:31 PM

39,849 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
No, you don't understand. The article you quoted is in regard to influenza, not the novel Coronavirus.

You are the one who is ignoring information from the CDC. Here you go, straight from the horse's mouth:

Read the link I provided and then get back to us with your oh so informed conclusions.
You do realize that nothing you posted contradicts anything the person you responded to, right? And in fact reinforced the fact that Covid and the flu are transmitted by the same mechanism, right? And that if masks don't work for limiting transmission of the flu, it is reasonable to assume that it also is not actually effective with limiting transmission of other viruses transmitted in the same manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies