Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 11:06 AM

606 posts, read 354,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Everyone is pissed off, depressed and gaining weight while sitting around doing nothing.

Not good for you physical or mental health.

The effects of which are likely to last longer than the pandemic.
A lot of us are pissed off because a sizeable proportion of our population doesn’t get that you can open everything up, but things will not be normal while thing continues to rage on. We are mad because we have decided that old people are expendable and should just sit alone in their homes to protect themselves while the rest of us just continue on with our lives like they don’t matter.

I’m mad because my parents and their friends have worked their whole lives and want to enjoy their last years traveling, socializing with friends, spending time with grandkids, and they have to make a conscious choice to either put themselves in serious danger to do those things, or waste away alone at home while the rest of the country acts like nothing is wrong...while our president continues to hold super spreader events to actively transmit the virus, prolonging all of this, and contributing to its exponential growth.

But you know, we have to go to Olive Garden so we can have our sh**** chain restaurant food, and go to the bar so we can have our crappy, watered-down Miller Lites and dance to cheesy music.

Edit: Also, I apologize for making it sound like I’m yelling at you, poster I quoted, specifically. It wasn’t my intention, and the anger is not directed toward you. I agree with you that this is not healthy at all for people in the long term.

Last edited by nap1313; 10-25-2020 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 11:54 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,726,419 times
I live in an area where mask compliance is high. The health dept. does random checks and it was said to be around 99% the last time I heard which was very recently. Restaurants are open with 50% capacity. Bars are also open at 50% capacity but must close early, like 10pm or 11pm, can’t remember the latest. Some schools are open for in person and others are not.

In spite of that, cases are up and so are hospitalizations. We just got a finger wagging from our Governor telling us to do better. Currently only allowed to have up to ten people in your own home and only from two households. Masks are now being required outdoors in Denver.

What this seems to be telling me is that even if we follow all of the instructions, it simply doesn’t work. We cannot hide from a virus.

I am mad that we continue on with this charade.

Old 10-25-2020, 11:58 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,079,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Not everyone. We stayed in Portland longer over the summer since everyone was masked and distanced. So gyms were open, as opposed to AZ.

Ny wife had to wait until September for an MRI that was scheduled for April.

Lots of people had to put off getting other medical issues addressed because of Covid-19

Old 10-25-2020, 11:59 AM

52,185 posts, read 52,615,134 times
We know far more now than we did 6 months ago.

Open her up, protect the at risk and let's get on with it. The cure is worse than the disease, literally in this case.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:42 PM

18,800 posts, read 8,459,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Ny wife had to wait until September for an MRI that was scheduled for April.

Lots of people had to put off getting other medical issues addressed because of Covid-19
As a just retired doc, I know it from all sides. My wife and I had Covid in March. She almost died. She had a stem cell transplant 2018 that the virus turned off. She is still recovering. But since she had Covid it was very difficult getting her treatments for quite some time. Both due to the changes in hospitals due to the Pandemic, and the fact that her specialty clinics didn't want her there.

Old 10-25-2020, 04:10 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,079,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
A lot of us are pissed off because a sizeable proportion of our population doesn’t get that you can open everything up, but things will not be normal while thing continues to rage on. We are mad because we have decided that old people are expendable and should just sit alone in their homes to protect themselves while the rest of us just continue on with our lives like they don’t matter.

I’m mad because my parents and their friends have worked their whole lives and want to enjoy their last years traveling, socializing with friends, spending time with grandkids, and they have to make a conscious choice to either put themselves in serious danger to do those things, or waste away alone at home while the rest of the country acts like nothing is wrong...while our president continues to hold super spreader events to actively transmit the virus, prolonging all of this, and contributing to its exponential growth.

But you know, we have to go to Olive Garden so we can have our sh**** chain restaurant food, and go to the bar so we can have our crappy, watered-down Miller Lites and dance to cheesy music.

Edit: Also, I apologize for making it sound like I’m yelling at you, poster I quoted, specifically. It wasn’t my intention, and the anger is not directed toward you. I agree with you that this is not healthy at all for people in the long term.

Directing your anger at the President and his rallys, which are mostly held outside and where many people ARE wearing masks (no, not all of them).....

While completely ignoring the months of protests and riots, sanctioned by the Left and where some people were and some people weren't wearing masks is a bit disingenuous to say the least.

There's been no evidence that I've seen that any of his rallys were "super spreader events".

That's little more than a catch phrase from the panic stricken, fear mongering Left.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 314 times
I think the impact of living in isolation & feeling claustrophobic during lockdowns has been grossly underestimated. Suicides due to staying indoors is a no-brainer & is a phenomenon that has proven itself pre-covid as well.

& it's not just the US, even India witnessed a huge exodus in which atleast a few thousand died directly/indirectly due to the lockdown.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:27 AM

34,227 posts, read 18,554,425 times
This is not about lives nor caring. It is about control and conditioning of the populace to willingly obey and accept life affecting changes that are detrimental to them and society.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:38 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,140,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
But do you care...”NO” we need to destroy the economy to get rid of evil orange man...and if it requires human collateral damage so be it...because in the end we really are looking out for your best interest...trust us..

https://thefederalist.com/2020/10/21...han-the-virus/
A lot of us have been saying this for a long time, it’s good to see an actual study done. We have an entire generation of children that will spend decades dealing with the psychological damage done to them over a disease that is not more risky to them than the common cold. We have destroyed young lives when we should have been isolating at-risk people.

Great Barrington Declaration

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-18-2020 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: Added link

Old 11-18-2020, 03:49 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,497,640 times
Of course, there are GOP governors who are now belatedly instituting lockdowns. But in VA with our democratic governor, we never had a hard lockdown. Some businesses were for a time where there is close, almost intimate contact, but for the most part, stores large and small could stay open with restrictions, home repairs didn't stop, dry cleaners were open as were garden centers. Dental offices were shut for about a month until the ADA could come up with protocols. On the other hand, our neighbor to the north, MD has a GOP governor and the restrictions in MD were much more severe than they were here and they still are.

In the absence of a federal policy on such things as even wearing a mask - he and members of his entourage ignore the mask mandate which the HHS Sec. appears on TV with a big sign behind him saying to wear a mask - states have had to come up with their solutions. The president said we were at war with this and then left it up to each state to defend itself.

It is difficult and the side effects are significant, but complaints about the effect of this virus and the mitigation efforts taken should be made to the White House which has denied the virus - its a hoax, it will go away with the summer, it will go away after the election - and now not only just ignores the pain and suffering of the American people but is intent on spreading it by hosting super spreader events at the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies