Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does being patriotic mean you have to believe the US is the best country in the world ?
Yes 17 18.09%
No 73 77.66%
Other 4 4.26%
Unsure 0 0%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 11:08 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
People vote with their feet. If we're not the best, why do so many want to come here? They aren't scaling the Alps to get into Switzerland.
So you agree with me?

Old 10-26-2020, 11:11 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkling Clear View Post
When this country has something to be proud of then I will consider becoming a little patriotic. Just like I may lean to respect religion when they stop patronizing the government for money and drops its hypocrisy.
Religion comes in many forms. Those who receive money, tax breaks from the government then refuse to teach and preach the Bible because they would lose their status are not representative of genuine Christians.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:29 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
No, of course not.

What does "best" mean, anyway? Safest? Richest? Most free? Nicest weather?

Old 10-26-2020, 11:45 AM

622 posts, read 410,183 times
I have lived in five countries in four continents for extended periods of time. I have also spent a week or more in about 20 other countries over the years.

I emigrated to the US almost 50 years ago. We have a second home in one of these countries.

When I return to the US after a three month break - which is how long we spend at our second home usually - I am about ready to kiss the ground. The US has its problems but for me, it is the best country in the world without a shadow of a doubt.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:47 AM

24,624 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
We are the best, no one comes close
Wrong. We come in... #16

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where-to-be-born_Index

Places like Australia, Canada, and New Zealand kick America's butt.

We're the riches and we have the best military, but from a general rankings standpoint, America is far from the best.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:45 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Wrong. We come in... #16

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where-to-be-born_Index

Places like Australia, Canada, and New Zealand kick America's butt.

We're the riches and we have the best military, but from a general rankings standpoint, America is far from the best.
Sorry but just like you can't compare those nation's GDPs to the entire US, you can't compare QOL index of those nations to the QOL of the entire US. Fer Chrissakes New Zealand has fewer people than the Boston CSA.

For example. One of the metrics in your link is life expectancy. Canada has a higher life expectancy than the US but California which has a comparable population has a substantially higher life expectancy than Canada.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:46 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
At the same time I've never thought that the US is literally the best country in the world
Why not? It is the best country in the world, or at least it was until the self hating elites started enabling the leftist mobs to tear it down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I think the true patriot looks at their country with clear eyes and works toward improving it. The US is not the "best" country in the world, but the US is MY country and I want to help it move forward.
How can people remotely say this, there is no better country, and I say this objectively having been around the world. Nothing compares, not even close including canada

Old 10-26-2020, 12:58 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
I don’t think it’s wrong to feel you live in the best country in the world whether it’s Italy, England, Scotland etc... if it’s your home and that includes the United States. I’m sure Americans ( even liberals) believe they live in the best state.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:59 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

Our freedom of speech is being attacked by the left democrats. So is religious freedom
You must be kidding. The First Amendment reads

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

So what are the laws that Congress has passed recently to abridge freedom of speech or religion?

Also, you didn't mention freedom of press. When the President declares the media to be "the enemy of the people" isn't that antithetical to the freedom of the press? When the people peaceably assemble, he sends in the troops to disperse them with pepper spray and rubber bullets.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:01 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Why not? It is the best country in the world,
Apparently Donald Trump doesn't believe so, because he always talks about making America great again. As if it wasn't already great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies