Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 11:54 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I would love to know what "plan" all of the people who are complaining there is no "plan" would put into place.
As soon as I have the reports, advice and other resources Trump and his administration have at their fingertips for going on 4 years now, I'll let you know.

Seriously...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 12:01 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And all of the things you've described are within the realm of "management" which Trump has shown zero interest in furthering in order to protect citizens, as well as businesses. He only wants to keep having ego-stroking rallies and avoid being seen wearing a mask which he believes make him appear weak. He's that shallow. And he's President.
Trump should have promoted mask-wearing more. He should stop making fun of any mask-wearing. His message on mask-wearing and other social distancing is poor.

However ...

When "15 days to slow the spread" came out, it didn't include mask-wearing. I can't tell if Fauci etal have ever admitted "We said not to wear masks because there was zero supply" or if that was even the reason, because... I can tell you the WHO said in 2019 that mask-wearing was NOT effective in controlling the spread of viruses.

There is NO science shown that the everyday masks that are being worn, and the relatively proper/improper use of them, doe anything to stop the spread. There are a few indications they don't (a recent small survey of patients who said they "always" wore masks but still contracted Covid; a Dutch study that is being held up over "science politics" since it reportedly paints a poor picture on mask efficacy).

But if Fauci had reason to say "masks are 20% effective", then that would be a number, and it would provide SOME comfort. Masks are not useless, but they're also not a solution.

And ...

The press truly "attacked" him over "Why aren't you wearing a mask??" Should he have not taken offense, and someone close to him say "Mr President, it would be a good look for you to generally wear a mask, and then remove it while you're speaking is fine" would have been better. It would have been something the press couldn't attack him on.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Trump should have promoted mask-wearing more. He should stop making fun of any mask-wearing. His message on mask-wearing and other social distancing is poor.
He can't bring himself to evolve in his actions and messaging even as we learn more. That is an important take away - and not just about Covid. His ego prevents him from admitting he is not omniscient and infallible. That's not a good trait for a leader of a country.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:12 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Quote:
And all of the things you've described are within the realm of "management" which Trump has shown zero interest in furthering in order to protect citizens, as well as businesses. He only wants to keep having ego-stroking rallies and avoid being seen wearing a mask which he believes make him appear weak. He's that shallow. And he's President.
It has been recommended by Trump, Biden, Harris, McConnell, Pelosi and many other "officials" in both parties to wear a facial covering in public since at least April.

America's record on this virus is one of the worst easily in the world over the 7 months of the pandemic but American's by and large don't listen to advice even if it's for their own good like wearing a facial covering, keeping 6 feet away and staying at least 20 feet away if they feel they need to cough or sneeze.

Sadly, a large percentage of both Democrats and Republicans can't resist having huge parties and get togethers no matter what the rules are.

When ever I go into public I notice people are tending to go with their entire family and sometimes multiple families all at once going shopping likely crowding into cars and likely having large parties afterwards.

Trump has made similar recommendations compared to Biden. A large prcentage of American's refuse to follow these short-term strategies to reduce the number of cases until pandemic comes.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
It has been recommended by Trump, Biden, Harris, McConnell, Pelosi and many other "officials" in both parties to wear a facial covering in public since at least April.

America's record on this virus is one of the worst easily in the world over the 7 months of the pandemic but American's by and large don't listen to advice even if it's for their own good like wearing a facial covering, keeping 6 feet away and staying at least 20 feet away if they feel they need to cough or sneeze.

Sadly, a large percentage of both Democrats and Republicans can't resist having huge parties and get togethers no matter what the rules are.

When ever I go into public I notice people are tending to go with their entire family and sometimes multiple families all at once going shopping likely crowding into cars and likely having large parties afterwards.

Trump has made similar recommendations compared to Biden. A large prcentage of American's refuse to follow these short-term strategies to reduce the number of cases until pandemic comes.
Recommended - in a vaguely half-hearted way - but not followed is meaningless.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:33 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Quote:
Sort of reminds me of Governor Jared Polis Colorado. Where they talk about the science but not follow it themselves.

I went on city-data link and it seems like Colorado Springs and Grand Junction have 30+ cases per 100,000 people some days which is very, very high numbers and yet they are considered "level 1" which basically means business as usual with only some miniscule limitations on capacity.

So much for Democrats taking it more seriously than President Trump.

I am from Colorado but do not reside there and because the governor has COVID hotspots as level 1 restriction counties people are under the impression all is well in Colorado, when the state has many hotspots like Grand Junction and Colorado Springs with lots of cases.

Interesting, how the Democrats critique President Trump constantly but Governor Jared Polis lets Colorado Springs and Grand Junction have 30 cases per 100,000 some days and it's business as usual as if there isn't a pandemic basically with only an ineffective limitation here and there.

Lots of Democrats claim to take COVID seriously but the only states that seem to be trying to limit case growth are New York, Oregon, Hawaii and Washington. A vast majority of Democrats complain about President Trump's handling but ignore it themselves and not take the virus seriously.

Interesting, how Colorado Springs and Grand Junction can have 30+ plus cases per 100,000 some days recently according to the link on city-data and yet they are level 1 counties out of 4 levels.

https://covid19.colorado.gov/data/co...dial-dashboard

Old 10-25-2020, 12:35 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
He can't bring himself to evolve in his actions and messaging even as we learn more. That is an important take away - and not just about COVID. His ego prevents him from admitting he is not omniscient and infallible. That's not a good trait for a leader of a country.
I'm proud to identify as a conservative, but of the libertarian (lower case, please) strain, and reasonably well-educated. I live in upstate Pennsylvania, where the first wave of COVID hit six months ago, and a second, apparently less-potent wave began when the colleges resumed regular classes. I wear a mask when in public, (have since the hype started) but I'm skeptical enough to understand that this will likely mitigate, but cannot stop the spread of the pandemic because a nation founded in rebellion can't be expected to bow to a group of self-appointed "experts" -- who would like to see us turned into something modeled after toothless, properly "tempered" Europe.

This is what Mr. Trump -- along with a lot of us over here in Right-Center field -- understands, and that most of the unhinged Snowflakes never will.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-25-2020 at 01:46 PM..

Old 10-25-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'm proud to identify as a conservative, but of the libertarian (lower case, please) strain, and reasonably well-educated. I live in upstate Pennsylvania, where the first wave of COVID hit six months ago, and a second, apparently less-potent wave began when the colleges resumed regular classes. I wear a mask when in public, (have since the hype started) but I'm skeptical enough to understand that this will likely mitigate, but cannot stop the spread of the pandemic because a nation founded in rebellion can't be expected to bow to a group of self-appointed "experts" -- who would like to see us turned into something modeled after toothless, properly "tempered" Europe.

This is what Mr. Trump -- along with a lot of us over here in Right-Center field -- understand, and that most of the unhinged Snowflakes never will.
So you're willing to do your part to mitigate- cool. Perhaps you can encourage the President to do the same.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:42 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Americans by and large are not going to socially distance and many are not going to wear masks correctly.
I doubt you even wear masks correctly. It goes beyond just covering your nose and mouth. You are supposed to change a mask every time you go to a different place, or else you are potentially carry the virus from one place to another. Also, if your mask gets the virus on it in store A and you wear that same mask into your car and into store B then you are increasing your own exposure. Even those who wear a mask over their mouths and noses wear the same mask for hours, and sometimes, days.

I have been wearing the same mask into stores and doctors since May/June? I am allergic to elastic. One dr's office gave me a paper mask that had ties instead of elastic. I've used it so long that the metal is coming out and nearly poked me in the eye few weeks ago. I tied the ties into loops so I can wear it over my ears. It's very painful for me to keep trying to tie something behind my head. I have a spinal cord injury and a bad back. I have trouble even brushing my hair. The mask tastes horrible from a summer's worth of sweat. When I wear it and inhale it enters my mouth and I can't avoid the taste while the material is choking me at times. I have severe asthma. I struggle to breathe. Been thinking of scotch-taping a napkin on my face to do my grocery shopping.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:44 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Well, he did wear a mask to vote in FL the other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies