Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 05:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,152,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Once again someone with no background in science (and I mean actual science, not the science invented by governors and celebrities) promoting masks as a panacea to the pandemic.

People, masks only work IF they are the N95 variety. Those dingy, filthy cloth rags you wear on your face have giant pores more than 1000x the size of a SARS-CoV2 virus. It's like trying to stop flour with a sieve - pointless.

Yes, masks work but only if everyone wears and N95. You can dump your saliva infested cloth rag right now.
I'd say , anything can protect well against theoretical virus...

Old 10-25-2020, 05:22 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,076,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
THE LOCKDOWN HAS TURNED FEAR INTO A VIRTUE.

Disagree. But it sure has turned lots of normal smart people into idiots.

Many of you probably wouldn't wear condom if asked. You'd find it offensive. You'd think it was a form of Conservative control. You probably would whine about how doing something to protect both people is mainly just the other person's problem.
does the mask protect me, or thee? If both, at what degree each?

Old 10-25-2020, 05:27 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,076,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Once again someone with no background in science (and I mean actual science, not the science invented by governors and celebrities) promoting masks as a panacea to the pandemic.

People, masks only work IF they are the N95 variety. Those dingy, filthy cloth rags you wear on your face have giant pores more than 1000x the size of a SARS-CoV2 virus. It's like trying to stop flour with a sieve - pointless.

Yes, masks work but only if everyone wears and N95. You can dump your saliva infested cloth rag right now.
I wear the mask so others aren't so scared - ie, fear as a virtue. I'm always shocked at the 65+ crowd either not wearing or doing it incorrectly

And just think, if the masks that probably 80%+ of people wear aren't effective, why aren't even more people infected?

Old 10-25-2020, 05:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,508,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
THE LOCKDOWN HAS TURNED FEAR INTO A VIRTUE.

Disagree. But it sure has turned lots of normal smart people into idiots.

Many of you probably wouldn't wear condom if asked. You'd find it offensive. You'd think it was a form of Conservative control. You probably would whine about how doing something to protect both people is mainly just the other person's problem.

Okay.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:44 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,508,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm King View Post
We are going to have to keep wearing masks forever until you anti-maskers start wearing them so we can beat the virus

No.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:58 PM

3,600 posts, read 1,625,476 times
Yes it can...if most are wearing the masks...wish we could've been more like Taiwan (7 deaths) and New Zealand (25 deaths) where mask wearing is universal...our non-mask wearing super spreader President is responsible (225K deaths with rapidly rising numbers)...blew it big time on covid!

Old 10-25-2020, 06:12 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,222,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Just do some simple research. The size in microns, of a virus, vs what size particles in microns can pass through a mask, particularly the cloth masks most people wear. Then there is exposure time, the actual amount of viral material that could hypothetically be expelled from a human just breathing and speaking normally, etc.. Common sense rules the day. But as some of us have observed, there is a serious shortage of commons sense being utilized these days. It has been replaced by fear, panic and a large does of hatred from the leftist MSM. The argument for masks says it protects others who have the virus from spreading it to others via droplets from saliva. I'm not sick so I'm not at risk of spreading it.

I believe after the dust has settled from all the panic ginned up by the media, we will find that masks were largely ineffective in slowing the spread of Chinese WuFlu among the general population. I also believe the entire thing was more an experiment to see how easily the general public can be persuaded into uniform behavior if you scare enough people.
I laugh hysterically when Republicans/Trumpers make this claim.

We've been on our knees since the Whiskey Rebellion in 1791. We accept it. We love it. We crave it. They don't need to run any "experiments" on us.

We took Lincoln's War and said nothing. We took Lincoln's federal income tax and said nothing. We took the Federal Reserve in 1913 and said nothing. We took LBJ's Great Society and said nothing. We took the Patriot Act and said nothing.

Nobody cares. We'll go to Walmart and vote (well, not me). That's America.

Pass the Twinkies.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:32 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,656,177 times
Want to know if face masks work?

Ask Herman Cain. Oh, so sorry, Mr. Cain went to his buddies rally, became infected, and died. During Trump's super spreader event over 35 attendees were all diagnosed with Covid after attending this event most without face masks. Trump and his wife were infected too.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24V2OD

You too can follow in Herman Cain's shoes or just maybe stay alive by wearing a face mask.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:37 PM

17,266 posts, read 6,635,921 times
A universal driving ban would save many more than that. Do you lunatics want to ban cars in addition to mandating masks everywhere?

Old 10-25-2020, 06:38 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,690,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
A universal driving ban would save many more than that. Do you lunatics want to ban cars in addition to mandating masks everywhere?
The difficulty of wearing a mask for several more months vs. losing the ability to own private transportation aren't even comparable inconveniences.

Not even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies