Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 09:29 AM

929 posts, read 399,031 times

Advertisements

I just cannot get my head wrap around on why a MASS lockdown or a draconian measures would help with this pandemic. This virus is so contagious it doesn't matter how much you wear a masker social distance you will still get it. What this mass lockdown or prevention is doing is just prolonging the exposure thereby prolonging the suffering. Remember when they said lockdown was only to flattened the curve...that turned out to be a big lie now.

What we do have is a few months of data now that we can use...in other words a targeted lockdown to those who are affected or will die the most--60 and over, underlying health conditions or suppressed immune system. That's it, everyone else should go about their own lives and we can still have a vibrant economy with a balance of common sense and safety.

With the current restriction--I see way too many seniors eating out in restaurants, going to the grocery stores or retail stores, I even saw someone with an oxygen machine in a wheel chair going around Target, like the Mayor said above...so whats the point?

Assuming no one else move in to El Paso, El Paso may reached herd immunity pretty quickly here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 09:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
I just cannot get my head wrap around on why a MASS lockdown or a draconian measures would help with this pandemic. This virus is so contagious it doesn't matter how much you wear a masker social distance you will still get it. What this mass lockdown or prevention is doing is just prolonging the exposure thereby prolonging the suffering. Remember when they said lockdown was only to flattened the curve...that turned out to be a big lie now.

What we do have is a few months of data now that we can use...in other words a targeted lockdown to those who are affected or will die the most--60 and over, underlying health conditions or suppressed immune system. That's it, everyone else should go about their own lives and we can still have a vibrant economy with a balance of common sense and safety.

With the current restriction--I see way too many seniors eating out in restaurants, going to the grocery stores or retail stores, I even saw someone with an oxygen machine in a wheel chair going around Target, like the Mayor said above...so whats the point?

Assuming no one else move in to El Paso, El Paso may reached herd immunity pretty quickly here.
It’s pretty simple really.
Viruses need hosts to survive and spread.
No hosts, no spread.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:22 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,872,571 times
This virus is so contagious it doesn't matter how much you wear a masker social distance you will still get it.

Ok - while I can appreciate the emotion tied to the situation - the data just doesn't support your feelings on it - in fact, the opposite is true.
The virus is "so contagious" that right now - this very moment - about 1 million or so folks (0.33% of our US population) are contagious and out and about. And tomorrow, something between 50 and 100K new cases will be added, while about the same number will be be subtracted.
That's right. It's "so contagious" that it takes ONE MILLION people to infect One Hundred Thousand Others, day to day. Each day - 90% of contagious people DO NOT INFECT ANYONE.
And why not? ALL the reasons: Masks. Distance. Hand Washing. Smaller Crowds. Situational Awareness. Other reasons we don't even know about. And the simple fact that it is actually NOT that contagious. It's more like the common cold - and not like Measles. Masks are but one way to limit it. Distance is a better way.

If it were "so contagious" I'd expect 1 million people to at least find ONE PERSON to give it to each day. But nope. Takes 10 to find just 1.

In reality, probably 9 of the 10 sick people infect no one - ever - and one sick a-hole with no mask, no distance, no awareness, and no brains is infecting 10 people by himself. It's THAT GUY that is not following the rules. And Good Luck getting THAT GUY to play along, because it's a very small number of people, and those folks just ain't gonna follow the rules, no matter what the gov't. says.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:57 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
We’re on the same page more often than not, but I have to say, this is a rather sweeping statement that doesn’t take culture into account.
Many cultures are multigenerational because that’s traditional for them.
They don’t push young adults out of the nest nor do they throw their (grand)parents into assisted living/nursing homes.
Everyone stays together and everyone helps out, not because they have no choice but because they love and care for each other. This is true regardless of where they fall on the economic ladder.

Yes, cases are up exponentially in El Paso. Hospitals are overrun and they are planning to use the convention center on an emergency basis.
Cases are not up due to obesity nor are they up due to high birth rates.
They are up because people have let their guards down.

Their governor never took this seriously so here we are.
It’s extraordinarily sad and extraordinarily infuriating.

“ Mayor Margo said that while there hasn't been one cause identified for the recent surge, many cases have been attributed to community spread and people letting their guard down.
"We did an analysis for two weeks on 2,404 cases from October 6 through October 20 and what we found is that 37% of our positives were from visiting large big-box stores, 22.5% were restaurants, and 19% were travel to Mexico," Margo said, adding that 10% were attributed to parties and reunions, 7.5% were due to gyms and only 4% were due to large gatherings.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/26/us/el...few/index.html

I probably shouldn't have said 'poverty' but I think it's more common among the poor. Multigenerational households occur with all races and cultures and financial status, White people seem quicker to ship grandma off to a rest home than Hispanics Asians and Blacks, but that's anecdotal, I don't have any data to support it. Around here, grandma and grandpa are the ones who own the home and most were empty nesters until their adult children couldn't afford rent anymore and started moving in with their spouse and kids

Old 10-26-2020, 03:57 PM

929 posts, read 399,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It’s pretty simple really.
Viruses need hosts to survive and spread.
No hosts, no spread.
right....so we should all go hide under a rock and hope it will go away on its own or commit mass suicide. sure, I believe you. There are many viruses that are still around and yet we didn't lock down for it? When we come out there won't be nothing left in our country...meanwhile, the virus will still be around. SO what's the end goal again here with all the lockdowns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies