Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 07:58 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,338,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Your 1955 6th grade science class called. They want their simplistic scientific theories back.
How about you give me one and we'll see how sophisticated your explanation is? I know how a very large number of them have been refuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You have identified a problem. Oil will run out. Yet here you are implicitly conceding that there is nothing whatsoever that can be done about it
The post you responded to was quite obviously sarcasm. Get a sense of humor.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:01 AM

1,253 posts, read 500,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Thermal combustion of carbon fuels did have a nice run...but technology is moving.
Possibly, but I wonder how many people realize the other big issues with electric vehicles.

1) The massive destruction to the planet to get the materials necessary to build the batteries.

2) The massive destruction to the planet to dispose of spent batteries.

3) The fact that power still needs to be generated via fossil fuels to provide the electricity for the batteries to run.

Electric vehicles still use fossil fuels, it's just that instead of using fossil fuels as you drive, they use fossil fuels at a power plant to generate the electricity for their very earth unfriendly batteries.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:02 AM

29,194 posts, read 14,474,917 times
We all need to listen to Greta !
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10394738/

Old 11-17-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wait, what ? I thought this was all about saving the environment ?
Well, in my view...it's not about saving the environment. Screw the environment. It's about saving humans. We can dump nuclear waste somewhere for a few decades and it ain't gonna' bother anybody. If six hundred million immigrants come here, across the ocean, in rafts, and none of them speak English, because hordes of people have had to leave their home nations because conditions became hot and humid enough that people are no longer able to work outside...that's going to be a problem.

You can feel free to shoot all the endangered spotted owls you want if I'm watching. If we had somewhere better to go, I'd suggest that we just strip-mine this entire planet and leave

Of course, many people will disagree.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnsota View Post
Possibly, but I wonder how many people realize the other big issues with electric vehicles.

1) The massive destruction to the planet to get the materials necessary to build the batteries.
Who cares? trees can only hold a finite amount of C02, and when they die a lot of it is released. A lot of it also is transferred to, and stored within soil by those trees, but the soil can only hold a finite amount of it, and that emerges when the soil is disturbed too much. That's not a total solution when humans, left to their own devices, will keep exponentially producing more.

Quote:
2) The massive destruction to the planet to dispose of spent batteries.
That's totally inconsequential compared to Wal-Mart disposable plastic bags, cheese-wrappers and other garbage we produce to a much greater extent.

Quote:
3) The fact that power still needs to be generated via fossil fuels to provide the electricity for the batteries to run.

Electric vehicles still use fossil fuels, it's just that instead of using fossil fuels as you drive, they use fossil fuels at a power plant to generate the electricity for their very earth unfriendly batteries.
That is a problem...for now. There are, of course, existing solutions to that problem that do not involve fossil fuels. There will be more in the future, and there are ways to speed up the development of cheap versions of those solutions.

Also...if we do develop something like that plan to use planes to release aerosols into the atmosphere to cool the planet, and that works well enough that global warming is no longer a huge concern, and clean (ish) coal tech's work out well enough, from just the standpoint of resource conservation, the world has A TON more coal than it does oil. We're not going to have to worry about running out of coal for quite some time.

I do have concerns about perpetually dumping more and more sunlight-reflecting, planet-cooling aerosols into the atmosphere as a long-term solution though....cheap though it sounds like it could be.

Last edited by Clintone; 11-17-2020 at 08:43 AM..

Old 11-17-2020, 08:22 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,614,475 times
You can't "screw the environment" without a significant cost to humans. It's all connected. Not one independent from each other.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:25 AM

4,153 posts, read 2,447,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Around here we call it high tide.

There is a difference between high tide and "king" tides. King tides are now more devastating than they were and mark where the new high marks will be. To date, the water levels are meeting predictions or are actually accelerating.

Parts of Norfolk flood daily during normal high tides. So much so that vertical rulers to show water levels are on some roads to show drivers when its safe to drive home.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:28 AM

15,740 posts, read 6,447,235 times
Renewable energy sources are now the cheapest form of electricity. As those get deployed I expect the cost of energy to decline over time.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:36 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,381,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
There is a difference between high tide and "king" tides. King tides are now more devastating than they were and mark where the new high marks will be. To date, the water levels are meeting predictions or are actually accelerating.

Parts of Norfolk flood daily during normal high tides. So much so that vertical rulers to show water levels are on some roads to show drivers when its safe to drive home.
Sounds like a local land issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies