Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 10:57 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I blame the US Media since it was they who coerced the shift from Quality to Quantity.

The result of that was Congress added strings to the federal tax dollars handed out to the police departments of major cities in the US.

In order to show progress in the War on Drugs and get your federal tax dollars, police had to continually increase the number of arrests that were made.

Who are the quickest and easiest people to arrest?

The users. That's what led to "buy-bust" instead of quality investigations that took down entire networks.
I don't quite understand the connection from blaming the US media's shift from quality to quantity to the "War on Drugs".

What shift from quality to quantity in the context of drugs?

It is well known in my area that whenever there is a local election cycle, arrests for quality life type offenses and drugs go up. It is pushed by the local elected officials to showcase something positive during their tenure in office.... yeh.. stupid but people fall for it. Those under the pressure to make a showing are regular street cops. I don't blame them for busting the easiest/quickest people. I don't expect street cops to organize large scale investigations and potentially dangerous situations to take down entire networks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 11:10 AM

923 posts, read 526,823 times
Doesn't responsibility of the end user ever come in to play or is it always blame someone else? Could you not also say that the corn farmer is the reason for obesity, going by what many of you are saying that it's the drug dealers? If you go that far, then blame the corn seed salesman. What's next, the market price of corn?

People are responsible for themselves and their own choices.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:16 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Doesn't responsibility of the end user ever come in to play or is it always blame someone else? Could you not also say that the corn farmer is the reason for obesity, going by what many of you are saying that it's the drug dealers? If you go that far, then blame the corn seed salesman. What's next, the market price of corn?

Yes with freedom of choice is the individual's responsibility towards the choices they make.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time that misinformation/marketing resulted in some culpability on the producer/supplier. All in the name of profiteering. Purdue Pharma for example used kickbacks to push opioid sales via the doctors.... profiteering by pushing drugs in some cases over prescribing. In that case, yes... Purdue and the doctors are in part responsible.

Same with sneaking in chemicals and additives that impact the quality of food without full disclosure... Many in the 70s didn't know that corn syrup was used to replace sugar cane as a sweetener in their foods.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:

There is some responsibility on the users themselves, but its not them that are shipping these drugs in and/or ensuring the shipments reach their destination, or make it thru customs.

I believe our govt is directly involved in ensuring these drugs reach their destination...its the only explanation how SO MANY drugs can continue to come in on such a CONSISTENT basis!

Besides that, have you ever noticed, the only people being targeted and arrested are the small time dealers and users? Hmmm, I wonder why that is? LOL

Old 10-27-2020, 11:33 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Let's see.... if we take away all drug dealers would the drug use increase?

therefore, yes, the drug dealers get the blame as well as politicians who allow the gangs to take innocent lives by drug sales and gun violence.

Of the two the politicians should the greatest blame.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:37 AM

923 posts, read 526,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There is some responsibility on the users themselves, but its not them that are shipping these drugs in and/or ensuring the shipments reach their destination, or make it thru customs.

I believe our govt is directly involved in ensuring these drugs reach their destination...its the only explanation how SO MANY drugs can continue to come in on such a CONSISTENT basis!

Besides that, have you ever noticed, the only people being targeted and arrested are the small time dealers and users? Hmmm, I wonder why that is? LOL
Like Guzman, who they caught? The kingpin? I've yet to have a drug dealer force me to use drugs. I've yet to have McD's force me to eat a burger.

I understand your points, I just disagree. I'm a jerk like that. LOL

I do wish you well and have a great day.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:45 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
We just had the thread 'Do you blame the Junk/Fast food CEO's for the obesity epidemic in the U.S?"

What about when it's drugs? People know they're addictive and can kill. No one is forcing people to take drugs in the vast majority of cases.

Ever see "Live and Let Die"
Spoiler
when Dr. Kananga (Yaphet Kotto) lays out his grand plan to 007? He's going to put 2 tons of heroin on the streets free with the sole intention to double the number of junkies and then sell that heroin at a very expensive price.

A lot of 007 films, not all of them for OHMSS is like LaLD in this case, but a lot of them don't generate the horror that someone would cause such misery because a lot of them are either over the top or are focused that they don't harm the common man.

Drugs, however, are like that for given the sadness of the world, it is that easy to get people hooked and most people are not that strong to never try it even once.

If I were to say, "well, it's their fault for trying it even once" and blame them, then I still blame the drug dealers for they know what a temptation they are putting out there.

They are far from blameless.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
We just had the thread 'Do you blame the Junk/Fast food CEO's for the obesity epidemic in the U.S?"

What about when it's drugs? People know they're addictive and can kill. No one is forcing people to take drugs in the vast majority of cases.

https://drugpolicy.org/sites/default...g-dealer_0.pdf
yes and no: I blame individuals for getting themselves in the position to need drugs, but I blames dealers for pushing the drugs.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Like Guzman, who they caught? The kingpin? I've yet to have a drug dealer force me to use drugs. I've yet to have McD's force me to eat a burger.

I understand your points, I just disagree. I'm a jerk like that. LOL

I do wish you well and have a great day.
Since they caught this guy....then drugs coming into the country, should be rapidly decreasing then...right?

**You may not be aware, but when they captured Guzman, he was not running the Sina Loa cartel anymore, so basically, capturing and throwing him in prison does NOTHING to stop or decrease the amount of drugs being manufactured or sent into the US by that cartel.

Plus, Guzman no longer had access to cartel money, muscle, or influence...another guy runs the cartel now, he is the one who currently holds the reins of power for Sina Loa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies