Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 01:01 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Countries that did not have widespread mask use such as Denmark and Sweden are doing a lot better then we are.
Wouldn't it make sense to compare Sweden to it's neighbors instead of a much larger country with different climate zones and much larger cities?

Death rate/million
Sweden = 586
Norway = 51
Finland = 64

Quote:
Because sometimes people leave clothes in the washer too long and they mildew. This has never happened at your house before?
People don't wear masks 24/7 either, it's not like they sit in an enclosed sealed humid washer tub for a day.

Have you personally developed mildew on your mask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 01:04 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
What a bunch of malarky.

With one exception-the comment about germs and germ buildup on your masks. Wash your darn masks folks!

Also fun fact, you can store m&ms in the mask and eat them like a cow throughout the day. No one knows.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:13 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This logic doesn’t make much sense.

If you exhaled the germs and bacteria out of your body and onto the mask, why would re-inhaling them make you sick?

Why wouldn’t you have already been sick if the same germs/bacteria were in your mouth when you breathed them out?

Humans carry a lot of germs and bacteria that does not result in illness.
your mask does not keep out bacteria and other viruses. They accumulate on the outside of your mask, and then people fidget with their masks putting more germs on the mask, and then you breathe in, and a lot of those germs passed right through the mask and down your windpipe.

Those cheap masks and bandanas do not filter out the micro particles the size of the virus so if you are in close proximity to a contagious person your mask will not prevent you from breathing in the virus which is why 80% of the people Contracting covid-19 we're wearing a mask at the time they were infected

Last edited by Wapasha; 10-26-2020 at 02:36 PM..

Old 10-26-2020, 01:17 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Reduction of risk is still there as viral particles usually travel with droplets of moisture. It also reduces the distance they travel.

Arguing that it isn't 100% effective is not a firm stance. Nothing is 100% effective it doesn't mean we don't head measures to reduce risk.

Wearing a safety belt in a car also doesn't guarantee you will survive a car accident. In fact, there is a firmer argument to wearing a mask during a pandemic (you infect others) than there is for a seat belt (your life only is at risk). Yet we mandate (which I don't agree with) the use of seatbelts in a car.
the safety belt analogy is a very failed one because a seatbelt will keep your body from passing thru the belt. Those cheap masks do not stop the microparticles the size of this virus from passing through. So unlike your seatbelt, which is a solid barrier, those masks do absolutely nothing to stop the virus. Only an N95 mask or equivalent can stop the small particles of this virus from passing through

Old 10-26-2020, 01:20 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Masks themselves don't make you sick, but I'm sure if you reuse paper masks or don't wash cloth masks, and if you don't change them during the day, they can make you ill. There's been a LOT of messaging suggesting not to reuse paper masks and to wash your cloth masks after each use. Common sense.

You know, if you don't brush your teeth, you get cavities. If you don't wash your hair, you can develop sores. If you don't change your underwear, you can develop infections. These, along with washing/disposing of your mask, all fall under basic hygiene rules.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:23 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
And the masks do absolutely nothing to stop the spread of the virus.
And when evidence clearly shows this in a major study, the medical journals refuse to publish it:
https://lockdownsceptics.org/2020/10...test-news-171/
Oh, no, not the bogus "lockdownsceptics" again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteVirtue View Post
Are people not washing their masks after each use, or disposing and replacing with a new one? Masks are not making anyone sick unless they are too slow to understand basic hygiene.
Right? The lack of common sense leaves me wondering at the intelligence of the American populace.

Quote:
I’m quite sure there are a significant number people don’t wash their masks often or at all.
I guess people are so stupid they need to have a warning label on the mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
How do you explain surgeons and doctors who wear masks all day long?
Exactly. If surgical staff was passing out during procedures, wouldn't we notice? I don't see my dentist dropping to the floor while he's working on my teeth - sometimes for more than an hour.

Quote:
Even with washing, you can still end up with issues such as mildew.
If the mask is clean, it won't have mildew in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I believe the OP. A lady at the local hardware store

Old 10-26-2020, 01:35 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Because sometimes people leave clothes in the washer too long and they mildew. This has never happened at your house before?
Oh... I live in Florida and we are very careful not to leave laundry sitting around because, you are right, it mildews. If it sits more than several hours, it gets rewashed. I actually assumed everyone would rewash laundry that started to smell a bit musty. Even if they didn't, though, I think the dryer would kill any mildew. I'm not going to try it to check my theory.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:37 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I believe the OP. A lady at the local hardware store said she didn't wear a mask at work for the months into the "crisis". Then they mandated masks. 3 days later she got sick. To the best of my knowledge, the medical grade masks are only good for 20 minutes. Simple cloth masks are of course useless.
My grandfather had never had a heart attack, and then one night he had carrots for dinner and had a heart attack. Carrots cause heart attacks.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:38 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
the safety belt analogy is a very failed one because a seatbelt will keep your body from passing thru the belt. Those cheap masks do not stop the microparticles the size of this virus from passing through. So unlike your seatbelt, which is a solid barrier, those masks do absolutely nothing to stop the virus. Only an N95 mask or equivalent can stop the small particles of this virus from passing through

Quick-is the mask supposed to stop the virus....or is it to stop the distance that your breath goes, and to stop the virus thats hitching rides on water droplets? (both FYI)

Yeah. Your argument shows that you do not understand this topic AT ALL.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:44 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You are missing the analogy completely. Think deeper... its not about the seatbelt itself but rather how our personal choices are not always made in isolation.

Masks protect others. My personal personal choice has to potential to impact other people's lives and they have no say so in the matter.

Seatbelt is to protect me and only me. My personal choice to risk my life by not wearing is one is not impactful to others.

Since seatbelts really only protect the one who chooses to wear the safety device while masks protect potentially multiple people from getting seriously ill, there is a stronger case for mask than a seatbelt.

There are many choices in life that are mine to make alone. But once those choices impact others or put others at risk then that choice is no longer mine to make alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies