Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 02:54 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Good grief Are you seriously saying that you do what Trump does? If he doesn't wear a mask, you follow his lead? If he wears a mask, do you seriously think that everybody in the country is going to do as he does?
No, I don't do what Trump does. But I have no doubt that Trump's discouraging mask use has an effect on the mask wearing of his base.

Quote:
He was making the best decisions possible with the information he had.
That's blatantly false. He was constantly contradicting his own medical experts. Even today, he is still discouraging mask use long after it is crystal clear that masks reduce transmission. He is still holding massive in-person rallies despite his own experts saying it is a bad idea.

Quote:
You are unaware that it was up to each state to formulate their own response to the virus. If Trump had tried to be a dictator and order the states to do as he told them to do so, you know darn well that you and your ilk would be screaming from the rafters about that.

It's rather naive of you to think that anyone can make the entire country mask up and keep social distance. Did you miss all the rioting/looting/vandalism? There were crowds of people out there without masks screaming in LEOs faces and attacking others.
I'm not claiming he could have ensured every person wore a mask. But he could have improved mask rates if he didn't actively discourage mask wearing and actively encourage people to break shutdown guidelines in their own states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 03:07 PM

10,100 posts, read 7,771,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Some think he is losing badly, some say he is not losing, we all know we can't trust the polls either way but except for minimizing the pandemic what the heck should he have done? He stopped travel to China, he put tight restrictions on people entering the country, he appointed task force, he made sure their were plenty of ventilators to go around and he made certain there were hospitals beds where needed. Could you have handled this any better? Right now we have 2 family members suffering with COVID. Both have underlining health issues and even they are saying the virus is not much different from any bad cold they have had. They have to appetite, cough, a lot and sleep even more. This is how most who have gotten sick have reported how they feel. If we isolate like we are told to do, use common sense, understand our bodies and stop listening to the crazy left press most of us will be just fine. Yes, we are seeing too many die, but we are also not being told the entire truth about many of those deaths.
Exactly. Why would Trump lose over how he's handling things. He's done all he can do. He can't wave a magic wand to get rid of it. Biden can't either. If you're an adult, you don't need your president to tell you whether or not to wear a mask. Do whatever makes you comfortable If you prefer to wear a mask 24 hours a day, wear it.

There is not one thing Biden can do to make anything better. All he would want to do is tell everyone to hide out and hibernate thru the winter and further until a vaccine is found. Do you really want the economy to sink further? Do you want a depression? People losing jobs, people begging for food, etc.

It's getting close to election day and you can not believe the left leaning media at all. They will always show Trump or any republican in a bad light. It's what they do. Right now they are desperately putting any and all bad news out there to try and sway people to vote for Biden. Don't fall for it. They are reporting it worse than it is. They want you to think this is all Trumps fault. Trump didn't create the virus. lol

Remember Biden didn't think it was a good idea to stop travel from China. Biden is not all that bright people. His Covid 19 plan is everything Trump has already done. If you are scared and think you may die from this, then by all means stay home and lock the doors. Biden isn't going to save you. He doesn't even know where he is or if he's running for president or senate or if Trump is Bush. Dont' trust the senile man.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 10-26-2020 at 03:32 PM..

Old 10-26-2020, 03:13 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
No, I don't do what Trump does. But I have no doubt that Trump's discouraging mask use has an effect on the mask wearing of his base.

That's blatantly false. He was constantly contradicting his own medical experts. Even today, he is still discouraging mask use long after it is crystal clear that masks reduce transmission. He is still holding massive in-person rallies despite his own experts saying it is a bad idea.

I'm not claiming he could have ensured every person wore a mask. But he could have improved mask rates if he didn't actively discourage mask wearing and actively encourage people to break shutdown guidelines in their own states.
So much wrong here from you^^^^

First of all, I'm a Trump voter and wear a mask and gloves. For you to make such blanket statements about all who voted for him is just wrong. Those who were out rioting/looting/vandalizing without masks weren't Trump voters.

He is allowed to hold rallies. No one is forcing anyone to attend them. Biden and Harris hold rallies, too. Those who show up aren't being forced to do so either.

Are you aware that in the beginning, Fauci was telling people to not wear masks? It turns out that he said that because there was a shortage of PPEs and he didn't want people buying up masks for that reason. So, who can blame Trump (or anyone else) for questioning what was said? Besides, once again, it's a "novel" virus. The "experts" had to learn as they went along.

Many of the state governors ignored what the medical "experts" were saying. Do you hold them to the same standard? Cuomo forced nursing homes to take COVID patients which had disastrous results.

You are naive if you think that should Trump had encouraged mask use, it would have made that big a difference.

Did you hear Biden's plan when it comes to the virus? It's the exactly what the Trump administration is doing. BTW, Biden has been caught going without his mask and forgetting to keep social distance.

You must think that Biden has a magic wand and will make the virus disappear if he is elected.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
So much wrong here from you^^^^

First of all, I'm a Trump voter and wear a mask and gloves. For you to make such blanket statements about all who voted for him is just wrong.
I didn't make such a statement. I said his anti-mask comments had an effect, not that no Trump voters wear masks.

I think you should read my post again.

Quote:
He is allowed to hold rallies. No one is forcing anyone to attend them. Biden and Harris hold rallies, too. Those who show up aren't being forced to do so either.
I didn't say he isn't allowed to hold rallies. I said his rallies are in opposition to the advice given my his own administration's medical experts.

Quote:
Are you aware that in the beginning, Fauci was telling people to not wear masks? It turns out that he said that because there was a shortage of PPEs and he didn't want people buying up masks for that reason. So, who can blame Trump (or anyone else) for questioning what was said? Besides, once again, it's a "novel" virus. The "experts" had to learn as they went along.
Sure, that was a good excuse for Trump to not recommend masks.....back in February. Then, masks became available and new evidence came to light on the importance of masks. This happened back in March and April. Yet, here we are in October, and the President is still undermining the medical community's advice on masks.

That's inexcusable.

[quote=BOS2IAD;59506082]
Many of the state governors ignored what the medical "experts" were saying. Do you hold them to the same standard? Cuomo forced nursing homes to take COVID patients which had disastrous results./QUOTE]

Sure I do.

Quote:
You are naive if you think that should Trump had encouraged mask use, it would have made that big a difference.
You are naive if you don't think it would have made a difference. You think it is a coincidence that Trump supporters are way less likely to wear masks than the average person? Of course not.

Your argument is basically that the President should get a free pass on undermining real medical advice during a pandemic because no one is listening to the President anyway. Really?

Quote:

You must think that Biden has a magic wand and will make the virus disappear if he is elected.
Of course not. But I don't think he's going to actively try to undermine the advice of real medical experts.

I also think he's more likely to try to pursue a real testing strategy and not cast doubt on official numbers regarding the virus.

--------------

Before saying there is "so much wrong information" from me, I think you should read my post a bit more clearly and think through the logic you are espousing here.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Exactly. Why would Trump lose over how he's handling things. He's done all he can do.
So directly undermining the advice of his own experts is "doing all he can do?"

Your argument is the same as the other guy's: Trump should get a free pass on undermining health officials and spreading misinformation because no one actually listens to him.

Do you hear yourself?

Old 10-26-2020, 03:43 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
He might lose, but not likely.
Black voters have turned away from Dems. The most important states have cities filled with Black voters. Trump will still lose cities like Philadelphia, St Paul, and Milwaukee but he will probably pick up enough Black votes to take the states.
Outsized Black support for Trump:
45% Black support for Trump:
Trump at 37.5% approval the day before he got 46% of the vote in 2016:
On 18 September, Trump's approval level was higher than Obama ever got!

People with TDS see COVID as a Trump issue. Everyone else knows better. Wash your hands, quarantine if you have been exposed, wear a mask, keep your distance. If you get COVID, you will survive.
Tell that to my neighbor...oh wait, you can't because she died from it. as have nearly a quarter million Americans.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:53 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Trump is likely to lose this election because he has completely dropped the ball on Covid. When his own medical team said there would likely be 100-250,000 Covid deaths in 2020, he called it absurd. He said it was going to be more like 40,000. He said it would disappear by April. He said we should have packed churches on Easter. He has repeatedly downplayed the importance of masks and encouraged people to break shutdown orders. Even now, he is saying that we are "rounding the corner" despite a record-high number of new cases.

This has earned him a terrible Covid approval rating, with fewer than 40% of Americans approving of his performance (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/coronavirus-polls/).

Despite all of this, Trump is continuing his self-defeating approach right up to the election. In response to a record number of cases and an increasing test positivity rate, Trump has completely denied that there is an increase, blaming it all instead on bad media coverage:

We have made tremendous progress with the China Virus, but the Fake News refuses to talk about it this close to the Election,” the president tweeted. “COVID, COVID, COVID is being used by them, in total coordination, in order to change our great early election numbers. Should be an election law violation!

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-mark-me...144243982.html

Think about that for a second. The POTUS is saying it should be illegal for free media to report on a raging pandemic. He has repeatedly trotted out the line that "We only have a high number of cases because we do a lot of testing," but the death totals don't lie. We have the tenth-highest deaths per capita rate of any country in the world, and we will almost certainly exceed the top end of the 250k deaths in 2020 estimate.

Had you said the US would have 250k+ Covid deaths in 2020 back in April, Trump would have called it a fake news media hit job.

Yet, Trump is still knocking Biden for wearing his mask, and even his Chief of Staff, Mark Meadows, took a hit today at Biden for mask wearing.

How does anyone not see this as total insanity?
Trump talks to his base only and they believe his every word.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:53 PM

[quote=Wittgenstein's Ghost;59506224]I didn't make such a statement. I said his anti-mask comments had an effect, not that no Trump voters wear masks.

I think you should read my post again.

I didn't say he isn't allowed to hold rallies. I said his rallies are in opposition to the advice given my his own administration's medical experts.

Sure, that was a good excuse for Trump to not recommend masks.....back in February. Then, masks became available and new evidence came to light on the importance of masks. This happened back in March and April. Yet, here we are in October, and the President is still undermining the medical community's advice on masks.

That's inexcusable.

Quote:
Many of the state governors ignored what the medical "experts" were saying. Do you hold them to the same standard? Cuomo forced nursing homes to take COVID patients which had disastrous results./QUOTE]

Sure I do.

You are naive if you don't think it would have made a difference. You think it is a coincidence that Trump supporters are way less likely to wear masks than the average person? Of course not.

Your argument is basically that the President should get a free pass on undermining real medical advice during a pandemic because no one is listening to the President anyway. Really?

Of course not. But I don't think he's going to actively try to undermine the advice of real medical experts.

I also think he's more likely to try to pursue a real testing strategy and not cast doubt on official numbers regarding the virus.

--------------

Before saying there is "so much wrong information" from me, I think you should read my post a bit more clearly and think through the logic you are espousing here.
I live in a blue area and there are plenty of maskless people around.

If Trump wore a mask all the time when he was out, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. There will still be the anti-mask crowd. Do you seriously think that the liberals who are part of the anti-mask would wear a mask just because Trump wore one? If anything, they will do the opposite.

Trump is free to question things especially when the "experts" were changing their advice quite often. Again, you ignore the fact that this is a "novel" virus and that every country in the world is struggling when it comes to handling it.

Trump didn't undermine anybody. And Biden isn't perfect. He's been caught going without a mask and not keeping social distance. And you seriously think that Biden would do better? I don't know where you live but testing for COVID has become more accessible in my state. Once again, you need to realize that much of what happens or doesn't happen is up to each state.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:55 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
One of the biggest failures I see in the Covid response is that we still don't have N-95 masks for everybody out there...the defense production act should have been instituted for N-95s.

Rigorous early testing like in places such as Germany and South Korea would have made a difference. Real lock downs like S Korea and Japan would have made a difference in March.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Trump talks to his base only and they believe his every word.
And you believe every world that Biden says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies