Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 06:06 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times

Advertisements

If I was Trump I would be locking down the nursing homes at least and strongly encouraging going the Barrington Declaration route of getting people above age 60 to self quarantine until we achieve herd immunity in the young. These are the age groups that end up in the ICU:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ted-to-icu-us/

Bottom line if it looks like we are going to exceed ICU capacity, we really should act in some manner... whether that means building more capacity or preventing Covid from spreading. I would argue we should be using stimulus money to permanently add capacity in every major city in America so we can handle future outbreaks of any viruses that might have worse outcomes. This relatively minor virus highlights the shortfalls of our medical system... lack of spare capacity.

I agree nobody should be forced into a quarantine just because of this though. Most people voluntarily comply with mask orders around here in South Dakota. The problem is these cheap masks people wear don't work like the left thinks they do, so herding everyone into a Wal-Mart because everything else is closed and opening the Wal-mart at 7AM when they should be open 24 hours only concentrates everyone into a single store at the same time... Older people should be smart enough to try going to these places in the morning when it's empty but of course nobody can force them to do this.... we have this one size fits all approach to managing the virus when the better idea would be to give high risk people special hours they can shop, from 6-9AM, and encourage different responses based on the level of risk in the individual. I don't recall anyone in the media telling high risk and elderly to shop at 7AM... it's just wear masks, that's all you need to do! It's a bit short sighted if you think about it.

There's also little mention of hand sanitizer among the media... this is often an afterthought. Even if it was mentioned the instant someone touches their mask to adjust it, now their hands are recontaminated. If you are going to do something do it right, and give people instructions on proper use.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-27-2020 at 06:23 AM..

Old 10-27-2020, 06:09 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
I see number of state hospitalizations ... not the number in El Paso.

So are numbers rising in El Paso for HOSPITALIZATIONS?

Old 10-27-2020, 06:13 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I see number of state hospitalizations ... not the number in El Paso.

So are numbers rising in El Paso for HOSPITALIZATIONS?
The article strongly suggests it. From the article:

- Residents in the Texas border city of El Paso have been urged to stay home for two weeks as a spike in coronavirus cases overwhelms hospitals.

- Earlier Sunday, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said 50 hospital beds will be set up in the convention center and another 50 beds could be added if needed.

- The crisis prompted the state to dedicate part of the city's civic center as a makeshift care center for the ill.

- The state has already provided over 900 medical personnel to El Paso, some of whom will be staffing the convention center site.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:15 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The article strongly suggests it. From the article:

- Residents in the Texas border city of El Paso have been urged to stay home for two weeks as a spike in coronavirus cases overwhelms hospitals.

- Earlier Sunday, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said 50 hospital beds will be set up in the convention center and another 50 beds could be added if needed.

- The crisis prompted the state to dedicate part of the city's civic center as a makeshift care center for the ill.

- The state has already provided over 900 medical personnel to El Paso, some of whom will be staffing the convention center site.
What number of hospitalizations has CAUSED those reactions?

Not stated in the article.

Pretty simple to pull that number, isn't it???

Old 10-27-2020, 06:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What number of hospitalizations has CAUSED those reactions?

Not stated in the article.

Pretty simple to pull that number, isn't it???
Why are you asking others to spoon-feed information to you?

No one is trying to persuade you of anything, but if you want to know, then go right ahead and look up the info for yourself.

As you say, it is easy indeed, which makes me wonder why it was beyond your abilities.

County Judge: El Paso hospitals and intensive care units are at 100% capacity

https://kfoxtv.com/news/coronavirus/...t-100-capacity

“As of October 24, 2020, all area hospitals have reached capacity, all intensive care units at El Paso hospitals are at 100% capacity,” Judge Samaniego said.

On Sunday morning, Texas Governor Greg Abbott announced the state would be taking steps to increase bed space in El Paso, converting the downtown El Paso Convention Center into an auxiliary hospital with up to 100 beds, and sending mobile medical units to El Paso hospitals with 100 beds each.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:21 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The 4 deadliest States in deaths per million population by far are ALL Democrat controlled...NY, NJ, MA, CT

...interesting, and revealing.
And a deliberate partisan LIE.

Nice omission of further data. Deep red Louisiana is #5. Cherry picking data to promote a partisan lie. What all 5 have in common is being early covid states with lots of cases when doctors were guessing what to do. Shocking fact: Doctors have improved their ability to treat Covid since March/April.

If you go to current death rates, most of the states are Red states. I wont say it is because they are red states but rather because they are the states being hit NOW when doctors have more info.

The overall lowest is VT. BLUE VT. 3 of the 5 lowest are blue. I am not going to pretend it is because of them being blue but rather they were not hit early and are sparsely populated. (except Hawaii)

Old 10-27-2020, 06:43 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
So they're sending slightly sick people to hospitals? My county has been saying they've seen numbers of new cases not seen since April and may, but there are a few questions that arise. Nobody's died in a weeks time. The majority of those being diagnosed are school age children that have very mild to no symptoms. And when they were giving out free testing until last week, they had less than 10% testing positive out of thousands of tests given. The County's population is 400,000 with just over 400 deaths, 70% of whom were elderly. They have a few dozen hospitalized, but only a handful are in the ICU.
There is no way in Hell they've come anywhere close to the number of cases seen back in March, April and May. At a bare minimum, and this is extremely conservative, you had 20 times the number of actual cases as those diagnosed. I'd bet a weeks pay it was at least 50 times the actual confirmed cases. They didn't have the tests, people had to pay for them, and so many had it but had trouble getting to a doctor ( everything shut down except hospital emergency rooms) not to mention that so many people had very mild to practically no symptoms. I had it, I knew I had it, I had coworkers who had it when I did, I never sought treatment or got tested. One coworker who had it pretty seriously had to pay several hundred dollars for a test to confirm it. Screw that. I had it, I never got it again. I'm immune as far as I know.
I still wear the mask, not that that does much good, if any. The senile old idiot Biden makes it sound like its the biggest thing since X rays and penicillin, but he's got a petrified fossil of a brain.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:52 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, it seems it didn't just go away as promised......yea, the mayor of El Paso is Republican as is the governor of the State.

Thanks mask-holes for fighting every effort to keep this under control.

El Paso imposes curfew as virus cases overwhelm hospitals: "We are in a crisis stage"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/el-paso...QKvO0HXhr4LBD4

Residents in the Texas border city of El Paso have been urged to stay home for two weeks as a spike in coronavirus cases overwhelms hospitals. The crisis prompted the state to dedicate part of the city's civic center as a makeshift care center for the ill.

El Paso County Judge Ricardo Samaniego on Sunday night issued a stay home order with a daily curfew from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Violators could be fined $500 under the order.
More fear mongering

Old 10-27-2020, 06:53 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
El Paso has many illegals from Mexico who are coming to the USA for treatment. The entire rio grande valley of Texas has the same problem.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:02 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Russia recently issued a mask mandate

It’s all about trying to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed, once again.
I guess Russia's vaccine didn't work so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies