Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 04:11 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,477,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
They do...but by the Supreme Court's logic on not accepting ballots post marked on election day, seems the answer should be no.
They’re accepting them as long as they are postmarked, and late by no more than a few days. This business about waiting 8 or 9 days AFTER Election Day is ridiculous. And especially bad is the ruling, since overturned, that late ballots are accepted even when a postmark can’t be deciphered.

But this thread wasn’t meant to be political. I just want to make sure my vote counts, and I anticipate long lines.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:13 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,388,578 times
Usually if you are in line by the poll closing time you are allowed to vote.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:15 PM

23,843 posts, read 14,968,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I expect a massive turnout of Republicans on Election Day. Does anyone know if polls are required to stay open to accept your vote as long as you got on line in time?
Didn't you say you were an election official a few weeks back?

Yes. Anybody in line at whenever your county closes the polls is eligible to stay and vote.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:37 PM

17,217 posts, read 12,105,930 times
Quote:
They’re accepting them as long as they are postmarked, and late by no more than a few days. This business about waiting 8 or 9 days AFTER Election Day is ridiculous. And especially bad is the ruling, since overturned, that late ballots are accepted even when a postmark can’t be deciphered.

But this thread wasn’t meant to be political. I just want to make sure my vote counts, and I anticipate long lines.
The ruling on the Wisconsin case was that they must be received by election day, not postmarked as has been the standard. Basically the same thing as being in line on election night but not getting to the front before polls close. You did your part, but the system is slow.

There really is no outcome on election day, it takes weeks for states to certify their results. Election night coverage is entirely media projections we should do without.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:31 PM

632 posts, read 322,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In Texas, if you're in line at 7p.m., when the polls are scheduled to close, you can vote.
I was about to express my disbelief that the polls close at 7PM in Texas but then I looked at what times they close here in SC and it is 7PM here as well. I don't know; that just seems... early? But now I'm looking at poll hours across the country and it looks like most states close their polls between 7 and 8, with a few closing at 9 and Indiana closing at 6! I guess my eyes have been opened. I'd never wait until the end of the day so I've never needed to know what time any close.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:33 PM

78,022 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
I expect a massive turnout of Republicans on Election Day. Does anyone know if polls are required to stay open to accept your vote as long as you got on line in time?
Each state has it's own rules. Consult them.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:52 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,491,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
I was about to express my disbelief that the polls close at 7PM in Texas but then I looked at what times they close here in SC and it is 7PM here as well. I don't know; that just seems... early? But now I'm looking at poll hours across the country and it looks like most states close their polls between 7 and 8, with a few closing at 9 and Indiana closing at 6! I guess my eyes have been opened. I'd never wait until the end of the day so I've never needed to know what time any close.
The polls have closed at 7PM here in Texas for decades.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:57 PM

18,673 posts, read 7,546,354 times
Will Polls stay open if people are still on line?

I've heard of a number of polling places in various states, doing exactly that in past elections.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:02 PM

11,781 posts, read 2,932,067 times
Dems want several days delay so they have more time to cheat.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:26 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,747,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
Well now you can see why it can be difficult for some people to vote on just one day. Things like having to either get a child ready for school or get them to a caregiver if the schools are are closed for the day means that you will probably not be able to get into line first thing in the morning. Once any child care has been settled, you then you have to get to work but if there is a long line because the number of polling locations have been reduced you may have to choose between being late for work or staying in line. Now if you have a job where being late could cause you lose your job you realize that you can't vote before work. After a full day or work, you have evening tasks like taking care of children or preparing dinner. Assuming that you don't have to work a second job to make ends meet. If you are lucky you might be able to get into line at 6pm, but again you are facing another 2 or 3 hour wait to vote.

It's amazing when you also realize that early voting and no excuse mail in voting have only started happening in the past 10 years or so, and before CoVID, there were states that didn't offer either.

One of the most exciting things to see are the massive amount of turnout. Most of it may be due to the candidates but I'm hoping that multiple voting days and options become a regular part of the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.