Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it possible to equally cater to the needs of every demographic group in US society ?
Yes 2 8.70%
No 19 82.61%
Maybe/Unsure 1 4.35%
Other 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 07:11 AM

724 posts, read 503,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Cater to needs: NO
Treat Equally: YES

If the government would just stop giving any benefits based on anything but household income (with the number of people in the household factored in), I think all this favoritism would just stop.

And stop with any kind of quotas or Affirmative Action kind of BS. Until about two years into the Obama administration, I did support both of those things, but now I think they do more harm than good because just to give one example, I would not want to have a young black or Latino doctor because chances are very good that their MCAT scores and academic history were not as good as their white or Asian counterparts. (I have posted the link many times, but I am not going to do so now because it takes quite a bit of digging to find it.) And if they were "weeded out" after being admitted, that is taxpayer money wasted if they had received college financial assistance. Sorry if that is "racist", but it is what I think based on what I have read.

I never thought that way before because I thought that if a black or Latino had a professional job, that meant that he or she had to be extremely intelligent and hard-working to get ahead in the U.S. (and in fact, we had a black dentist at one point even though we lived in about a 90% Euro-white suburb, although his skin color had nothing to do with choosing him). But now, with all the coddling of blacks and, especially Hispanics taking place (or at least in Colorado where I spent the last 30 years), I have almost the opposite view -- and, yes, I know that is unfair and probably racist, and I am not happy about feeling that way, so I truly am sorry for feeling, thinking, and believing what I do now.

(And I'm leaving this thread now because I am 99% sure that I am going to be excoriated for this post, and maybe rightfully so.)

While I most certainly can't speak ( or should I say type ) for other potential thread participants , I can type for myself and I will state that I definitely won't be excoriating you man/whatever you wish to be addressed as .

As for the issue of affirmative action , I don't care to make a statement on whether or not it results in many unqualified people obtaining jobs they shouldn't have ( since it's not an issue I've looked into properly enough to form an opinion about ) , but I also oppose it on the principle that it creates too much unnecessary resentment/tension in this society .

I'm still hesitant to drop the ball via giving my own personal take on the broader subject at hand , but suffice for now to say that I'm of the general opinion you ( and others ) seem to have stated .

That is that society as a whole should take steps to ensure that everyone is indeed equal before the law , without trying to engage in the sort of divisive social engineering ( of both the left and right ) variety we're seeing right now .

Old 10-28-2020, 07:35 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
No. Finite resources. Decisions around allocations have to be made.
Exactly. That's why cities blame guns instead of facing the huge cost of addressing the root causes of gangs and violence. Costs nothing, blames rival politicians for the problem...just hope nobody is smart enough to ask why if the problem is guns why the rich areas don't have the shootings and murders like the poor ones.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies