Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2020, 08:22 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm also willing to wager this. Many Black people in Virginia never approved of those statues going up either. However, considering that this was during the Jim Crow era, I'm willing to bet that some people kept their mouths shut out of fear. More and more people, both White and Black, are saying no to those statues.
Agreed. This thread is essentially a microcosm; some folks listen & learn, & some folks don't, deny &/or justify.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:25 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agreed. This thread is essentially a microcosm; some folks listen & learn, & some folks don't, deny &/or justify.
This thread also shows something else. Not only is it a microcosm, it's also a reminder that some people don't change. It's also a reminder that many people simply do not care.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:18 AM

8,338 posts, read 2,965,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I suppose you think the Saddam statue should have remained standing in Bagdad as well.....
Irrelevant

Old 10-30-2020, 12:56 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Irrelevant
How?

Old 10-30-2020, 01:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
How?
I'd like to know as well.....

Old 10-30-2020, 01:21 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
This thread also shows something else. Not only is it a microcosm, it's also a reminder that some people don't change. It's also a reminder that many people simply do not care.
I certainly do not care about wanton, misguided fools who want to destroy historical monuments.

I care about history and preserving the past, not destroying it. Only idiots assume that by destroying a monument you suddenly change the course of history or past political sentiments they may represent.

The statues on monument avenue (we always called it 2nd place avenue) and the museums are one of the few things tourists actually came to see in Richmond. Great idea- cut tourist revenue and make a crap hole even worse.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:38 PM

8,338 posts, read 2,965,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I certainly do not care about wanton, misguided fools who want to destroy historical monuments.

I care about history and preserving the past, not destroying it. Only idiots assume that by destroying a monument you suddenly change the course of history or past political sentiments they may represent.

The statues on monument avenue (we always called it 2nd place avenue) and the museums are one of the few things tourists actually came to see in Richmond. Great idea- cut tourist revenue and make a crap hole even worse.
Yup. Don’t like it, ignore it and move along.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:48 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Good another racist traitors memorial removed!

Old 10-30-2020, 04:51 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ge/3758415001/

The American Taliban strikes again!

Anyone who has ever been to Richmond is familiar with the statues of Confederate heroes along "Second Place Avenue". Those who survived the war face one way, and those who died face the other.

Removing HISTORY is idiocy. Remember when the Taliban was destroying historic icons along the old Silk Road? The world was aghast that barbarians would destroy relics that would be lost forever.

Fast forward to the US and we have the American Taliban doing the same. Banning books, "cancel culture" and tearing down statues is what totalitarians do, not free people who welcome open discourse.

Regardless of people's "feelings" toward the Confederacy, it is HISTORY which cannot be changed. Lee had a difficult decision- as an officer in the army, he had a choice of supporting his state or the federal government. He chose his state, as did many of those who served the Union. After the war, Lee was helpful in unifying the nation again.

People need to read a little about Lee before attacking his legacy and tearing down reminders of history.

What should be done with the statues? The best solution would be to move them to a Civil War battle site. If one goes to such sites (I have been to many), there are MANY such monuments there, both north and south. Interestingly, the sites of Confederate victories do not have many monuments relative to sites of Union victories.
Removing them peacefully and legally is fine. Why let stand a monument to a traitor? Move it to a museum.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:58 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
Well, a new twist. While several residents on Monument Ave. want the statue to remain which is under appeal, a larger group of over 50 Monument Ave. residents have asked the Court to to accept their brief in support of removing the statue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies