Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 08:52 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
No, we literally can’t because a lot of states don’t start counting any mail-in ballots, no matter how early they were received, until AFTER polls close on election night.
How stats count mail/absente ballots:

https://www.newsmax.com/scottrasmuss.../18/id/987643/

I think newsmax is one of those sites folks don't like, but this appears to be factual news and not opinion.

33 states do NOT count until Election Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 08:53 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Trump doesn’t know how ANY of this works.

Regardless of when they start counting - ALL states have official canvasses - within 2-3 weeks of Election Day where the official count is certified.

As a clerk in Utah - yes UTAH - we accepted ballots postmarked by Election Day and counted them all the way up to the canvass.

Otherwise? You are disenfranchising the vote.

My take is that Trump will NOT be in the lead on Election Day - he will be screaming for all ballots to be counted - to look for support that’s not there.

I don’t think SCOTUS will intervene on a process that has been established for over a hundred years.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:57 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Someone should tell Trump: hey, theoretically, counties can count ballots starting with mail ballots, then in person early votes, and then in person nov 3rd votes last. Whatever they don’t get to by midnight...poof, burn bin. See how much he changes his tunes then! lol
This is not theory. In many counties here, mail-in ballots are first on the pile to count.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:59 AM

606 posts, read 354,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
How stats count mail/absente ballots:

https://www.newsmax.com/scottrasmuss.../18/id/987643/

I think newsmax is one of those sites folks don't like, but this appears to be factual news and not opinion.

33 states do NOT count until Election Day.
Yup. This is why AZ and NC results on Election Day are important this year to get an idea of how the race is swinging. Although, I believe that link is wrong about Florida. I thought that Florida falls into the group of states that does allow ballots counted in advance. Maybe I’m wrong on that.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:04 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
I googled some more and found this from ballotpedia:

https://ballotpedia.org/When_states_..._ballots,_2020

Yes, FL has been counting early votes.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:08 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
My Florida vote has been accepted and counted already.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:09 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Thanks for that info; I did not know that!

I do think there should be some kind of national standard, though.

Why should there be a national standard? States are free to conduct their elections how they see fit, just as the Founding Fathers designed it.

You realize the deadline for the electors to cast their votes - you know, the votes that actually matter - is the Monday after the 2nd Wednesday in Dec. This year, that's the 14th. So, you could easily argue that states don't need to have counted/certified their elections until then. Especially in states where the electors are legally bound to vote based on the popular results.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:22 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Trump says ballots can't be counted after election day?

Trump has no say in the matter.

The states handle that.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:23 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Trump wants courts to block states from processing ballots after election day? What does that mean on Midnight November 3rd all ballots that are not counted are just tossed out?
Elections are purely a State process not a federal process. The federal government has no power with respect to how elections are conducted by States.

How polling precincts are set up, operated and funded, the times polling precincts may operate, how absentee ballots are issued and collected, the last date to receive mail-in ballots, how ballots are counted, by whom they are counted, the chain of command for reporting counted ballots, and the date when the responsible authority must certify the election results.

Those laws vary from State-to-State because this is a federal republic. For those desiring to live in a unitary State, you may renounce your US citizenship anytime you so desire and I will purchase a plane ticket to a unitary State for you so you may experience it up close and personal.

You may then apply using Form I-495 to enter the diversity visa lottery in the hope of returning to the US at some future date.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:41 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Fake thread title, based on a fake article headline. Did you even read what he said?

“Hopefully, the few states remaining that want to take a lot of time after November 3rd to count ballots, that won’t be allowed by the various courts,” Trump said at a press conference in Las Vegas.

Based on what was actually said, your pretend angst in your puerile question (bolded) is dishonest. Why does the left always have to lie?
Trump's constant attacks on the election process only highlights how worried he is about losing.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...-supreme-court
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies