Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 09:16 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If all eligible voters vote, Republicans lose.

Which is why they're pulling out all the stops to keep ballots from being counted.
Exactly.

Many Republicans over the years have pointed that out, and it is baked into Republican policies.

Trump himself did say: "They had levels of voting, that if you ever agreed to it you'd never have a Republican elected in this country again."

Out of the mouths of babes. Trump somehow says the quiet parts out loud, as if he has no filter. We have seen this idea stated by Republicans elsewhere in various ways over the last 15 or so years too, in settings they had thought were more or less private audiences.

That is how the 'republican' Republican Party evolved into the 'authoritarian' Republican Party. They have abandoned any pretense of free and fair elections and have gone for the naked power grab.

The party should have a name change to reflect it's true character, but more than anything else it needs a soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 09:30 AM

494 posts, read 180,047 times
I don't like Trump at all, but I have to hand it to him. I don't know if this was his plan or someone in his administration, but if you look at it from afar it is quite ingenious. Push Repubs to vote in person and vilify mail in voting and at the same time be quietly pushing through your judges to federal seats so you have the overwhelming majority on your side. Then come election time ramp up the fraud aspect of mail in voting and have your judges go against any voting plan that deviates in the slightest from the state laws. At this point, as much as it pains me, I can see Trump winning the election through legal loopholes and voter suppression. In the end, what the hell are we really going to do about it.....complain on CD, maybe protest some, but after a few weeks the furor will die down and life will move on with this idiot in charge for another 4 years. The only hope would be that the Senate flips and Congress could finally impeach this moron, which i would fully expect.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:46 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Quote:
So the plan, such as it is, appears to be to convince Trumplicans to vote in person rather than mailing in ballots, then going through the courts to stop counting mail-in ballots.

Putting a Trump shill in charge of the USPS to slow down mail delivery was a nice touch.
^^^

Right there is Trump trying to cheat. Texas Governor helping him cheat by reducing the number of drop boxes for ballots. First they screw up the postal service. Then they limit the number of drop boxes. All this is to throw out more Dem votes than R votes, because they know Dems prefer mail ballots. Had polls showed Rs preferring mail ballots, Trump wouldn't have slowed USPS mail and TX Gov wouldn't have limited drop boxes.

Last edited by Variable; 10-30-2020 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-30-2020, 10:16 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
I don't like Trump at all, but I have to hand it to him. I don't know if this was his plan or someone in his administration, but if you look at it from afar it is quite ingenious. Push Repubs to vote in person and vilify mail in voting and at the same time be quietly pushing through your judges to federal seats so you have the overwhelming majority on your side. Then come election time ramp up the fraud aspect of mail in voting and have your judges go against any voting plan that deviates in the slightest from the state laws. At this point, as much as it pains me, I can see Trump winning the election through legal loopholes and voter suppression. In the end, what the hell are we really going to do about it.....complain on CD, maybe protest some, but after a few weeks the furor will die down and life will move on with this idiot in charge for another 4 years. The only hope would be that the Senate flips and Congress could finally impeach this moron, which i would fully expect.
I don't think that after a few weeks things will die down.

Currently, we have a President the majority of voters voted against, a Senate controlled by Republicans, though a majority of voters voted for the Democrats, and a Supreme Court controlled by justices who were appointed by Presidents who the majority voted against, and confirmed by Senates that the majority did not vote for.

This is unsustainable.

Republicans have been fairly successful with suppressing the vote, gerrymandering, smearing opponents with lies, and gaming the system in general.

Without using military force to impose the will of the minority, this system is unsustainable.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:17 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
I don’t think this argument matters.

Biden’s margin is going to be big enough that whether or not those votes are counted will not change the outcome.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:22 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Republicans have filed lawsuits all across the country to make sure that fewer votes are counted

This goes far, far beyond any legitimate concern about fraud.
They are the cheaters--- and they are very afraid

Old 10-30-2020, 10:27 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I do to. Any ballots not turned in by 8pm (or whatever time voting ends) should not be counted.
That is not the same as "not counting any after 8PM" (or whatever). If that was what is being proposed, then I agree with you, but it seems from what I've heard, is that he's pushing to stop counting at that time.

So, if you voted a mail-in, got it in by the deadline, but the post office (which has been throttled by Trump in recent months) is not able to get it to to where it gets counted until the next day, it sounds like he doesn't want that vote to count.

What I think: If you get your vote in by the deadline, and by the rules, it should be counted. Period. If the post office, or the polling station, or whoever, fails to count it on time, that should not affect your vote. They need to keep counting until all votes THAT WERE CORRECTLY SUBMITTED have been counted, however long that takes.

Agree or disagree?

Old 10-30-2020, 10:32 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Fake thread title, based on a fake article headline. Did you even read what he said?

“Hopefully, the few states remaining that want to take a lot of time after November 3rd to count ballots, that won’t be allowed by the various courts,” Trump said at a press conference in Las Vegas.

Based on what was actually said, your pretend angst in your puerile question (bolded) is dishonest. Why does the left always have to lie?
It sounds like the OP got it right, based on your quote.

How do you read "hopefully... ....that won't be allowed by the courts" With the "that" being "that want to take a lot of time after November 3rd".

What is "a lot of time"
What National standard is he basing it on (none).

Instead of trying to negate votes, he should try to fix the systemic problems. But as we've seen with COVID, he doesn't do that, he just tries to blame others or make them suffer for his (and other R and D politicians) failure to plan. A good leader would have had a plan in place, and made it a non-issue.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Trump wants courts to block states from processing ballots after election day? What does that mean on Midnight November 3rd all ballots that are not counted are just tossed out? If I remember correctly Trump won in 2016 by ballots still being counted the next day.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...on-day-2020-10
Trump says a lot of things.

Much of it is noise.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
That’s impossible since some states are not even allowed to begin counting mail in ballots until AFTER polls close in their states, no matter how early the ballot got there. It’s not even a question of postmarking. Some states literally hold ballots for weeks and have to start the count late at night after polls close.

So I guess, if he’s saying what I think he’s saying, he wants any mail in ballots not counted by midnight to be tossed—even if the ballot has been sitting there for weeks and the voter did their part to mail it in well in advance and the timing of the count is no fault of their own? That’s complete BS if that’s what he’s saying.
This is the guy who, in the weeks before the 2016 election, said the Electoral College was a rigged Illegal system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies