Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 03:29 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Have you been in a Walmart lately?

I was at one last week There were quite a few not wearing masks, or wearing it under their nose, even though store clerks at the entrance were clear that masks were required. Some seem to believe that a loosely tied handkerchief would do the trick.

Restaurants? While the staff generally wear masks, the patrons take theirs off the minute they sit down and start sipping water.

Airport? At both airports I was at two weeks ago there were all sorts of people not wearing masks. Each one had a sack of chips or bottle of water nearby. Apparently, so they could claim they were eating and/or drinking, but there wasn't much of that going on and the masks were off. When they announced the flight they were clear that masks would be worn throughout the flight. However, as soon as they served the packs of pretzels and water, a good many masks were pulled down.

Trump rallies are held indoors and outdoors. Very few wearing masks.
You really need to get a hold of yourself. You're way out of control. Please turn off the news and relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 03:40 PM

1,253 posts, read 502,471 times
Quote:
Shocking the lies and misinformation that people are spreading.

Over a thousand a day are dying and no end in sight. Many who recover report ongoing health complications. Some are getting it for the second time.

90% of people are not wearing masks. Trump supporters aren't wearing masks, and that's close to 40%.

Good grief.
Funny how you think all Trump supporters are not wearing masks. My wife, myself, my son and my daughter are all Trump supporters and we all wear masks.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:46 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
You are never going to get such a complaint populace they give up everything they enjoy unless you take the joy out of living like they do in china, south korea, etc.

If we never had a vaccine coming it would mean wearing masks and distancing basically forever. This is why making different rules for the elderly makes more sense. High risk people should be told different instructions rather than simply wear a mask and you can do whatever you want any time of day. You're assuming the masks work...and if everyone wears them at Walmart and still spreads it ....

Isolating the elderly and getting the young exposed and this might have been over by now....maybe. Its all speculation. . Also I believe preventives like vitamin D, zinc, etc are being suppressed by monetary interests who are making a ton keeping things locked down ... That is conspiracy theory of course.
Post of the day!!!!

Old 10-31-2020, 03:50 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:

I was at one last week There were quite a few not wearing masks, or wearing it under their nose, even though store clerks at the entrance were clear that masks were required. Some seem to believe that a loosely tied handkerchief would do the trick.

Restaurants? While the staff generally wear masks, the patrons take theirs off the minute they sit down and start sipping water.

Airport? At both airports I was at two weeks ago there were all sorts of people not wearing masks. Each one had a sack of chips or bottle of water nearby. Apparently, so they could claim they were eating and/or drinking, but there wasn't much of that going on and the masks were off. When they announced the flight they were clear that masks would be worn throughout the flight. However, as soon as they served the packs of pretzels and water, a good many masks were pulled down.

I avoid places with those dynamics like the plague (literally) as much as possible and it's at least a step ahead of many areas (especially in Trumpland) to even attempt to enforce this. I'm not saying this is the case 100% of the time but it correlates in many cases where mask wearing is lax in the areas that are heavily Republican, particularly in less educated rural areas. And it's those same communities where the jobs are higher risk for contracting COVID-19, and people aren't able to just work from home.

It's an inconvenience because of having to be so selective when certain things need to be done,and in some cases needing to go way out of the way to avoid anti-maskers, but at this point I see it as a necessity to avoid that type of clientele. I also avoid being in crowds and going to crowded places. The upside of this is not being around people who behave like yahoos and wild beasts even if the pandemic weren't going on.

Last edited by Jowel; 10-31-2020 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-31-2020, 03:56 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
A lot of people don't wear it correctly. They don't cover their nose or they leave the bottom loose.
People i just went to the store and elderly NYers are wearing it underneath their nose and let me guess - This is characterized as "mask compliance "

Give me a break

Old 10-31-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Sutton View Post
You should see the less educated inner-city areas ... You know, Bidenland.
Actually, I have and overall more people are wearing masks there and taking the virus seriously. The data also supports that.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...hers-doing-it/

Those areas you are referring to have more minorities and those folks are overall doing a better job of wearing masks. They are in tough spot to because they're typically service workers who work in close quarters just like in the rural areas where there are a lot of food processing plants and places where the people can't just choose to work from home on their laptop and their jobs themselves put them in more risky situations. But people do have more choices for what they do in their off time, and they can protect themselves and others better then, and some choose to and some choose not to. Which is why there's still a good bit of community spread happening outside the workplace.

North Dakota is having a heck of a time with the problem of people being resistant to taking precautions against this and that isn't helping with them having the highest rate in the country at the moment. So part of it is a cultural issue indeed, though the virus doesn't discriminate against that.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/dr-deb...ry?id=73855650

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metr...d-suppression/

By the way, I wouldn't have made this a political issue and back when in March when this was really ramping up in the US, I would have hoped that it wouldn't have gotten as politicized as it has. But a clear pattern is a clear pattern.

Last edited by Jowel; 10-31-2020 at 04:22 PM..

Old 10-31-2020, 04:15 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:

I was in Walmart today, along with Home Depot and Hobby Lobby. The ONLY people I saw without a mask were children in carts, all of whom looked to be under or near two. I live in the heart of MAGAland, by the way. There were one or two who could use a lesson in proper mask wearing, but it was a very limited number and it was super easy to stay over 6 feet away from them.

Maybe it’s looking here because our governor has nightly COVID updates on public TV and several radio channels, takes Q & As at least once a week, made multiple PSAs about masks - why we need to wear them and how to wear them. We have cute little commercials on both TV and radio. What is your governor doing? And that IS who is primarily in charge of this, your governor. While not perfect, I think our governor has done a really good job - and he’s managed to do it without saying a negative word about the president, despite being a Democrat.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:23 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genz View Post
Trump and his supporters peddling his narrative is getting people infected. That is mainly what's driving this virus to surge. These are evil people successfully peddling this narrative to truly uneducated poor people.
Good thing it's a 99% survival rate virus.

Biden and his supporters peddling his narrative are getting people unemployed, killed by criminals and the spike in crime, businesses looted, increase in mentally ill, and drug and domestic abuse.

You can't just lock down the country like inmates.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I was in Walmart today, along with Home Depot and Hobby Lobby. The ONLY people I saw without a mask were children in carts, all of whom looked to be under or near two. I live in the heart of MAGAland, by the way. There were one or two who could use a lesson in proper mask wearing, but it was a very limited number and it was super easy to stay over 6 feet away from them.

Maybe it’s looking here because our governor has nightly COVID updates on public TV and several radio channels, takes Q & As at least once a week, made multiple PSAs about masks - why we need to wear them and how to wear them. We have cute little commercials on both TV and radio. What is your governor doing? And that IS who is primarily in charge of this, your governor. While not perfect, I think our governor has done a really good job - and he’s managed to do it without saying a negative word about the president, despite being a Democrat.
I've just had very different experiences than that in my area, which is pretty heavily Republican, in stores and I'm just sharing those experiences, especially when I go to the next county over, which happens to be fairly Democratic and I see some pretty large differences in public behavior between those areas. I'm sure there are some exceptions, as I had mentioned, but this is the overall pattern I've seen since all this began, which seems to be the consensus in my area. Maybe it's different in some places, and if that's the case in a positive way, I'm glad.

Our Governor is a Democrat as well and I feel like he has done a fairly decent job, but there are way too many loopholes in his mandate that let people make excuses for not wearing masks. His opponent who is running against him (and yes, he's a Republican, the current Lt. Governor, Dan Forest) is a big anti-masker and thinks schools should completely reopen without masks. I've simply been disappointed with many of the citizens in parts of my state, so it's possible there's just a different cultural dynamic in different states. I do know that both Ohio and Maryland have Republican governors and they've had a good leadership response for the most part, from what I've seen when keeping abreast of this.

Last edited by Jowel; 10-31-2020 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-31-2020, 04:37 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnsota View Post
Rhode Island?

Wisconsin?

Illinois?

Indiana?

Michigan?

Minnesota?

Disturbing increases in many parts of MA, NY, NC and PA?
It's masks and social distancing. Many of these states have relaxed rules around social distancing. Especially the ones in the Northeast that were in lockdown when the virus first hit and there were no tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies