Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 08:32 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times

Advertisements

"Christians" turn to religion to find peace, in a world torn apart…………by religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 08:33 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I agree with a lot of what you say. I highlighted all the stuff I agree with.

HOWEVER, I do think liberals hate religion. And I do think religion has a positive effect on people's lives.
Lol you highlighted the whole post.

There are liberals who practice religion so I don't see how it logically follows that they hate it. Unless you mean they hate specific denominations.

I can absolutely see how a sense of community, peace with our inevitable mortality, and care for our fellow man are positive things that sometimes come from religion. But I think there are ways to have those things without religion. And I think there is so much pain and suffering that comes along with religion that whatever good it might do isn't enough mitigation for me.

I read the bible for the first time in a college Humanities class and what struck me about the New Testament (specifically the book of Mark) was how aggressively Jesus rejected the trappings of religion. He repeatedly defied the "rules" and insisted that faith and loving your fellow man was all that mattered. I mean, I'm down with that. Why can't we just be kind to each other and believe that we are part of a larger universe? Why do we have to give money to an organization and be taught to shame and blame and obey?

Old 10-30-2020, 08:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
I don't hate religion, I dislike some religious people but I also dislike some non religious people. I do hate when people try to use the law to force others to live by their religious beliefs, and that goes for any religion.
IF one wants to live by their own religious beliefs, go for it, but don't expect others to live by your religious belief.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:35 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
I’m conservative and I hate religion.

But yes, the typical atheist/agnostic is a very annoying liberal/leftists/Democrat.

I don’t know who create that trend, but it seems to be very common.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:37 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
A precept of Marxist philosophy is the State has all power and authority, and that authority cannot be challenged. Belief systems that suggest other sources of authority are not allowed.
One poster hits the nail on the head: The Judeo-Christian ethic provides a mostly-fair and respectful standard by which a society evolves (sorry if you Bible-thumpers take offense at that word) through the process of industrialization (which can be both dangerous and demeaning) toward a mature society, (with a developed "safety net" -- but one which still rewards honest individual entrepreneurship). Along the way (from the Gutenberg Bible to the Internet) the potential for mass communication expands.

The only trouble is ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
This guy understands it. Because Christianity is the truth. Look everywhere where religion (Christianity) was overthrown, need to expel religion in order to create your own power.
It isn't long before some wannabee-hillbilly-Hitler decides that his (and only his) version of the truth has to be imposed on everybody else.

That leads to an endless struggle over the power and authority in the hands of the rulers (the nation-state) --and it is at this point that the greatest potential for man's inhumanity to man, in the form of totalitarianism, be it from what we call the "Left" or "Right", emerges.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-30-2020 at 08:56 AM..

Old 10-30-2020, 08:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I'm a moderate, don't hate religion, but despise the hypocrisy of much of it. Do as I say, but not as I do. And, much of GOP, including T's is a hypocrite, surely not moral by any account.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:38 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I don't think that liberals hate religion, they just many of them hate some Fundamentalists trying to impose their religious beliefs on everyone, which, as an agnostic conservative, I don't like, either!

I am so tired of posts that classify everyone belonging to a certain classification as being all alike! I wish people would just stop that!

Old 10-30-2020, 08:39 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Honest question why do Liberals hate Religion?

Honest answer, this is a false premise.

There are liberals who are very religious. Religion informs the value systems of many people.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:40 AM

25,723 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Honest question why do Liberals hate Religion?
They hate anyone who thinks differently than they do and anything that stands in the way of their control over other people. Many religions subscribe to a code of conduct and thought that is largely at odds with the liberal philosophy. So it is on their long hate list.

But, they don't hate all religion. Their philosophy is as much a religion as any other religion. They worship themselves. They love their religion: Wokianity. And Wokianity is more dangerous to Americans who believe in individual liberty than was the Spanish Inquisition to those deemed to be heretics.

Last edited by ChrisC; 10-30-2020 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-30-2020, 08:44 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Its not a hate of religion but the way many use it to control others. For me its not the belief in a higher power that's a problem but the earth bound administration that drives me up the wall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies